Diagne | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

The inherent conflict in the second and third sentences in that quotation is stunning: Emmert clearly doesn't understand the NCAA's basic functions. Obviously, he can't root out "academic fraud" and ignore "legitimacy" issues at the same time. The UNC case is a spectacular example.

And while I'm at it, enforcing hyper-technical legitimacy standards at the High School Level while ignoring legitimacy concerns entirely at the college level, is another total non-sequitur.

Is it too late to vacate his Maxwell diploma?

Last edited:
You're touching on something that I find extremely bizarre about this whole situation. It's not the NCAA's job to police academics at their own member institutions, but it's absolutely their job to police academics for students at institutions that are in no way, shape, or form under their jurisdiction? How on earth does that make sense?

Either you police them upon entry and then KEEP policing them, or you don't police them at all. You simply cannot have it both ways.

God we are all praying Diagne makes it this year.

One class from 7th grade in senegal they didn't make him go to summer school. We are all praying.

Last edited:
God we are all praying Diagne makes it this year.

One class from senegal, we are all praying.
Not getting my hopes up. Seen this script play out unfavorably too many times. Simpler to be wonderfully surprised than to twist in the wind.

You're touching on something that I find extremely bizarre about this whole situation. It's not the NCAA's job to police academics at their own member institutions, but it's absolutely their job to police academics for students at institutions that are in no way, shape, or form under their jurisdiction? How on earth does that make sense?

Either you police them upon entry and then KEEP policing them, or you don't police them at all. You simply cannot have it both ways.
It's bizarre. They need to have a serious Pow-wow to get their standards in order, if they want to remain relevant.

Syracuse should just go ahead and let Diagne join the team and play. And while they are at it they should just ignore the game suspensions for Boeheim as well. Screw it. That would bring so much focus and scrutiny upon the NCAA that they would become the uber target for ridicule and criticism. The NCAA is one major scandal away from becoming entirely irrelevant and outdated and is generally loathed and despised by fans, players, and coaches alike. We should just carry on like... what scholarship reductions? Who? Nahhh... not us!

If only...well, I suppose we all can dream:rolleyes:

Syracuse should just go ahead and let Diagne join the team and play. And while they are at it they should just ignore the game suspensions for Boeheim as well. Screw it. That would bring so much focus and scrutiny upon the NCAA that they would become the uber target for ridicule and criticism. The NCAA is one major scandal away from becoming entirely irrelevant and outdated and is generally loathed and despised by fans, players, and coaches alike. We should just carry on like... what scholarship reductions? Who? Nahhh... not us!

If only...well, I suppose we all can dream:rolleyes:

Ultimately the problem is that the NCAA holds the purse strings to the pot of gold that is the NCAA tournament. Unless there is a concerted unified action by all the member institutions all of that money goes away until CBS or someone else can be convinced that the tournament can be replicated under another body's stewardship. The basketball tournament isn't the same if you have a P5 division and an everyone else division. Too great a chance that a real title contender would be on the outside looking in.

Jay Bilas was on Upon Further Review yesterday and I had absolutely no idea that the "NCAA Eligibility Center" requires any prospect who wants to play college ball - including walk-ons - to pay them $70 to go over their transcripts and clear them, despite the fact that the university they want to play at has already deemed them worthy of acceptance.

http://espncny.com/audiovault/

It's all about the kids!

Jay Bilas was on Upon Further Review yesterday and I had absolutely no idea that the "NCAA Eligibility Center" requires any prospect who wants to play college ball - including walk-ons - to pay them $70 to go over their transcripts and clear them, despite the fact that the university they want to play at has already deemed them worthy of acceptance.

It's all about the kids!
Well, they are a non-profit organization, after all...

I guess I'm thinking most of the player himself rather than just a fan. The real tragedy is for this young man who did everything he could, worked hard and followed everyone's rules to make a new life for himself in a new country without his family. He lost his parents, worked hard and now earned the right to freely choose where he could continue his education while playing a sport he loves. I guess I'm thinking of how my kids, Bees's son, anyone's child, heck, how I myself would feel, after the thrill of being accepted, the relief after making such a huge decision only to be turned away on a questionable subjective ruling by a 3rd party which you have no control over. Hoping the best for this young man who followed the rules, did what he was asked -but found out it still wasn't enough for the NCAA because of a last minute ruling on a course taken his freshman year in Africa. I really feel for this young man regardless of the university he was headed to. I worry this young man is just a pawn in the politics that has become college sports.

It's all about the kids!

So the Ncaa isn't satisfied enough with the millions they are raking in, they need to take 70 bucks from poor college kids as well, what a disgrace.

Im guessing Diagne is not the first student that the NCAA has done this too. What I wonder is if there is a history of inconsistency with regard to the NCAA's decisions/jurisdiction for cases like these. Seems this is a VERY grey area regarding their "wheelhouse". Maybe enough inconsistency for a class action lawsuit Ed O'Bannon style? The more the NCAA plays with fire the more likely they eventually will get burned.

On the one hand, I would hate for Boeheim to provoke the NCAA. I'm just so tired of them sniffing around our program and investigating us. But on the other hand, I would love to see Boeheim lay into the NCAA on this issue. To go to bat for Diagne, generate some publicity and sympathy - not for Syracuse, but for Diagne and the other kids like him. One of these days, Jimmy B is going to call it like we all see it when it comes to the NCAA clearinghouse.

On the one hand, I would hate for Boeheim to provoke the NCAA. I'm just so tired of them sniffing around our program and investigating us. But on the other hand, I would love to see Boeheim lay into the NCAA on this issue. To go to bat for Diagne, generate some publicity and sympathy - not for Syracuse, but for Diagne and the other kids like him. One of these days, Jimmy B is going to call it like we all see it when it comes to the NCAA clearinghouse.

Let's hope he doesn't feel at liberty to do this during his last (lame duck/impunity) season. It would not be a sweet farewell if he leaves us and Hopkins with the burden of even more NCAA wrath.

Sometime after he coaches his last game I think we will be hearing from Juli's husband on matters NCAA.

Does anyone know what the actual class in question is? Are we just assuming the NCAA is corrupt and bereft of competency in all matters? Or is it just when it concerns us? Maybe the kid took the Senegalese equivalent of Basketweaving 1 or "African-African Studies" and shouldn't be credited for compliance. Don't we have to assume these people are looking at something specific and actually believe they have cause? Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're idiots, but it's also just as likely they have, at the very least, the foundation for a question. In all of their controversy, i have yet to see a case where the NCAA had a vendetta against a kid. If they want to screw with the program further, they just deny our appeal after a long, protracted delay. Oh. Wait...

Has there been a single instance where a student has sued the NCAA because of faults in its findings. I'm not suggesting there hasn't been — i dunno. I'm just axing.

Does anyone know what the actual class in question is? Are we just assuming the NCAA is corrupt and bereft of competency in all matters? Or is it just when it concerns us? Maybe the kid took the Senegalese equivalent of Basketweaving 1 or "African-African Studies" and shouldn't be credited for compliance. Don't we have to assume these people are looking at something specific and actually believe they have cause? Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're idiots, but it's also just as likely they have, at the very least, the foundation for a question. In all of their controversy, i have yet to see a case where the NCAA had a vendetta against a kid. If they want to screw with the program further, they just deny our appeal after a long, protracted delay. Oh. Wait...

Has there been a single instance where a student has sued the NCAA because of faults in its findings. I'm not suggesting there hasn't been — i dunno. I'm just axing.
First, it is highly unlikely it is one class. That is his high school coach speaking, not the NCAA.

dasher said:
First, it is highly unlikely it is one class. That is his high school coach speaking, not the NCAA.

Exactly. I'm doubling down on my prior posts.

dasher said:
Totally agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom