Diagne | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

So is it consensus that the NCAA doesn't have anything against Syracuse ? Even with Oliver Luck's suit lurking around their executive board decisions? I know he denied it but let's face it, he was lying.

Last edited:
So is it consensus that the NCAA doesn't have anything against Syracuse ? Even with Oliver Luck's suit lurking around they executive board decisions? I know he denied it but let's face it, he was lying.

I for one believe that they do 100%. I think if they can hurt us right now they absolutely will and would go out of their way to.

I'm thinking that they didn't have to go out of their way or beyond the rules on this one though.

I for one believe that they do 100%. I think if they can hurt us right now they absolutely will and would go out of their way to.

I'm thinking that they didn't have to go out of their way or beyond the rules on this one though.

On the first point, I have no idea, but I applaud you for being one of the few people who can beat the drum on point #1 while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood of point #2.

The mass of posters who are willing to discard common sense and quickly find comfort in the notion that anything bad that happens to SU is solely attributable to the inept, vindictive NCAA rather than the school or the player is really quite amazing.

not sure when, but it's been my understanding he was all set - it's been alluded to around here, I believe by RF and a couple others

Just to be clear, I've qualified that by acknowledging that it was based upon what was being reported. I strongly believe that there must be other issues that just aren't being expressed by SU or the HS coach. Otherwise, if it was really just about one course, he would bang it out at a prep school and be here in December.

Something doesn't add up. And I'm guessing it has to do with information that isn't public.

On the first point, I have no idea, but I applaud you for being one of the few people who can beat the drum on point #1 while at the same time acknowledging the likelihood of point #2.

The mass of posters who are willing to discard common sense and quickly find comfort in the notion that anything bad that happens to SU is solely attributable to the inept, vindictive NCAA rather than the school or the player is really quite amazing.

I hear you. Just wanted to add I would not be blaming or SU or our staff on this one at all.

lol
common sense, huh?

Just to be clear, I've qualified that by acknowledging that it was based upon what was being reported. I strongly believe that there must be other issues that just aren't being expressed by SU or the HS coach. Otherwise, if it was really just about one course, he would bang it out at a prep school and be here in December.

Something doesn't add up. And I'm guessing it has to do with information that isn't public.

lol
common sense, huh?

I'm as anti NCAA as anyone and especially critical when it comes to the NCAA and SU but please stand back a bit and take a look at the complete picture on this one. Look at what SU has reported. Look at what the NCAA has not reported. Then look at the info from Pope John Coach, Host Family and see that a majority of the articles siting info are written from their quotes. This is one that I find more and more difficult to pin on the NCAA the more I think about it from a complete picture standpoint.

Last edited:
I'm as anti NCAA as anyone and especially critical when it comes to the NCAA and SU but please stand back a bit and take a look at the complete picture on this one. Look at what SU has reported. Look at what the NCAA has not reported. Then look at the info from Pope John Coach, Host Family and see that a majority of the articles sitting info are written from their quotes. This is one that I find more and more difficult to pin on the NCAA the more I think about it from a complete picture standpoint.
what has SU reported?

lol
common sense, huh?

Admittedly, I have no common sense when it comes to the NCAA. I flat out don't trust them. Brb I'm going to go add another layer to my tin foil hat.:crazy:

what has SU reported?

Actual statement from the university. "Moustapha Diagne, who signed a national letter of intent with Syracuse in November 2014, has decided to enroll in a two-year college"

Last edited:
Actual statement from the university. "Moustapha Diagne, who signed a national letter of intent with Syracuse in November 2014, has decided to enroll in a two-year college"
The lack of information put out by SU does make it easy to infer that some machinations are going on.
However, we're not the only ones in this situation.
Kansas is too, for example:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dhcxr?...um=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Diallo's case is different because there are real questions about the school he attended.
But it is mystifying that the NCAA doesn't handle these issues more expeditiously so that student/athletes (I'll be generous because the term doesn't accurately apply to some) aren't put in such positions.

Perhaps the NCAA is shorthanded.
Maybe there's one person handling all these cases...some poor schnook on a desk somewhere with a stack of folders and 3 telephones texting and calling and eight email chains going all around the country or the world and drinking coffee for breakfast and lunch.
No...wait... that's too similar to my desk.

And that certainly jibes with what the people from his high school have said, doesn't it? Other than that, there is no information to glean from that statement whatsoever.

And that certainly jibes with what the people from his high school have said, doesn't it? Other than that, there is no information to glean from that statement whatsoever.

I don't think that it jives with the hold up being over one class from Senegal. Not at all IMO it seems more like OK I'm not going to be qualified so I'll go the JUCO rout. Yes he likely needed to be enrolled at some drop dead date for the student visa but still to me it looks much more like Diagne knows he would not be qualified otherwise he would have set things up with the JUCO and waited until the actual drop dead date IMO.

The lack of information put out by SU does make it easy to infer that some machinations are going on.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dhcxr?...um=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Diallo's case is different because there are real questions about the school he attended.
But it is mystifying that the NCAA doesn't handle these issues more expeditiously so that student/athletes (I'll be generous because the term doesn't accurately apply to some) aren't put in such positions.

Maybe there's one person handling all these cases...some poor schnook on a desk somewhere with a stack of folders and 3 telephones texting and calling and eight email chains going all around the country or the world and drinking coffee for breakfast and lunch.

It is a major gripe I have with them. Looking at the Diagne case though one could easily connect the dots to read the situation as both Diagne and SU were made aware by the NCAA that the outcome will be that of a non-qualifier. He enrolled in JUCO (usually a 2 year commitment) before the actual drop dead date for his visa.

I was very surprised to hear that the Clearinghouse charges each athlete a fee of $70 to go through this process. You can argue whether or not "clearing/qualifying" student/athletes is something that the NCAA should be doing, but given that they are and they are charging a fee for it they should absolutely be doing it in a more timely fashion. Now maybe Diagne or Pope John was late in getting his paperwork to the NCAA for review or whatever was submitted was incomplete...guess we don't know that.

Which is not inconsistent with the thought that the NCAA sucks moose balls.

I was very surprised to hear that the Clearinghouse charges each athlete a fee of $70 to go through this process. You can argue whether or not "clearing/qualifying" student/athletes is something that the NCAA should be doing, but given that they are and they are charging a fee for it they should absolutely be doing it in a more timely fashion. Now maybe Diagne or Pope John was late in getting his paperwork to the NCAA for review or whatever was submitted was incomplete...guess we don't know that.

The paying is nuts but I agree if they are being charged a fee then the NCAA should have even more of aduty to process in a timely manor.

Or maybe the outcome is not in question at all with Diagne which seems more plausible at this point to me.

please stand back a bit and take a look at the complete picture on this one.
Good idea.
Here's the big picture from where I'm sitting. A kid, by all accounts I've seen and heard, is motivated and a good student - demonstrated by what he's achieved at a reputable U.S. high school. The kid has a strong desire to play basketball and continue his education at a premiere university. The kid is being denied that right due to - again, based on the all the information made available - NCAA scrutiny over some of his coursework in Senegal from over 3 years ago. That, based on all information available thus far, is an injustice.
Now, is that injustice solely a result of what the NCAA has done or hasn't done? Maybe, but it's not clear. Could SU be partially to blame? Sure, it's possible. Could it partially be the result of his high school dropping the ball with something? Sure, it's possible.
At the end of the day, though, the kid is getting screwed. Based on all available information to this point.

Which is not inconsistent with the thought that the NCAA sucks moose balls.

Well that has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt over and over again. I don't think anyone posting in this thread disagrees with that either.

Good idea.
Here's the big picture from where I'm sitting. A kid, by all accounts I've seen and heard, is motivated and a good student - demonstrated by what he's achieved at a reputable U.S. high school. The kid has a strong desire to play basketball and continue his education at a premiere university. The kid is being denied that right due to - again, based on the all the information made available - NCAA scrutiny over some of his coursework in Senegal from over 3 years ago. That, based on all information available thus far, is an injustice.
Now, is that injustice solely a result of what the NCAA has done or hasn't done? Maybe, but it's not clear. Could SU be partially to blame? Sure, it's possible. Could it partially be the result of his high school dropping the ball with something? Sure, it's possible.
At the end of the day, though, the kid is getting screwed. Based on all available information to this point.

Bold section one is hearsay and I would ask by who's standards and then wonder if that is not exactly what is being questioned by the NCAA.

Bold section two has no way of being verified and is not information from SU, Diagne nor the NCAA.

These two bases for forming your conclusions are unable to be verified by us that I know of. I think a case can be made for what you are saying but I don't think that there is any actual verified information backing that up.

Bold section one is hearsay and I would ask by who's standards and then wonder if that is not exactly what is being questioned by the NCAA.

Bold section two has no way of being verified and is not information from SU, Diagne nor the NCAA.

These two bases for forming your conclusions are unable to be verified by us that I know of. I think a case can be made for what you are saying but I don't think that there is any actual verified information backing that up.
Clearly there is information that has not been made public yet (and may never be public) that would probably convince someone one way or another. Currently, however, the only thing we have that approaches "information" is what has come out from people at his high school. I must be a real naive sucker to believe them, especially since there is no other information available.

Clearly there is information that has not been made public yet (and may never be public) that would probably convince someone one way or another. Currently, however, the only thing we have that approaches "information" is what has come out from people at his high school. I must be a real naive sucker to believe them, especially since there is no other information available.

I hear you and was simply trying to point out that the realities of the situation do not really line up with that information.

Looking at the Diagne case though one could easily connect the dots to read the situation as both Diagne and SU were made aware by the NCAA that the outcome will be that of a non-qualifier. He enrolled in JUCO (usually a 2 year commitment) before the actual drop dead date for his visa.

If they were made aware, then why hasn't there been a ruling? Seems like those events should be one and the same, or at least within a few hours of each other.

When did he enroll?

I hear you and was simply trying to point out that the realities of the situation do not really line up with that information.

I couldn't disagree more. I think what we know does line up with the information. Pretty well, actually. Doesn't mean there aren't other possibilities, but the coach's story fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom