Diagne | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

OrangeXtreme said:
Syracuse, NY -- Chinonso Obokoh, the 6-foot-10 freshman from Bishop Kearney High School in Rochester, will redshirt this season, said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. Obokoh is one of four big men in the Orange system this year, making him unlikely to play meaningful minutes. Baye Moussa Keita is the lone senior, followed by junior Rakeem Christmas and sophomore Dajuan Coleman. Obokoh, a native of Nigeria, learned late last summer that the NCAA would permit him to enroll in classes at SU. He will be allowed to practice with the Orange this year, but will not be permitted to play in games. The Post-Standard just says that he's redshirting. Doesn't mention anything about him being a partial qualifier. At the time, it was assumed that he was "5 to play 4".
he was still under NCAA review at the time. And that continued on...the NCAA permitted him to enroll in classes. I think in one of waters recent diagne articles he mentions this too.

Day2 has to be intentionally obtuse here. Not hard to see what Jake was saying.

I know what Jake is saying. I just have a different view.

You're literally the only person in this thread who didn't understand what he meant by "P5 player."

I knew exactly what he meant.

he was still under NCAA review at the time. And that continued on...the NCAA permitted him to enroll in classes. I think in one of waters recent diagne articles he mentions this too.

Is this the one:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ot_play_for_orange_plans_to_enroll_in_2-.html

Obokoh, a native of Nigeria, spent three years at Bishop Kearney High School in Rochester. The NCAA forced Obokoh to sit out his freshman year at Syracuse because of an issue with his high school transcript.

I know the NCAA took away a year of his eligibility because he spent an extra year in HS (he was enrolled at B-K as a Frosh when he should have been a Soph). Nothing to do with his grades, or whether or not the courses he took met NCAA core guidelines.

This is the 1st time Waters has ever mentioned that he was "forced" to sit out 2013-14.

I always thought he sat out because of Rak, Baye, and DC being ahead of him.

Could Diagne pay his own way pending resolution, while not participating in basketball activities? Perhaps his host family would be willing to roll the dice if they truly believed he would be cleared.

IMO, schools should be required to reject students who fall outside the norm of the incoming class, say one standard deviation below the average test score/GPA combo.

orangefan13 said:
We all love you bees. Not trying to change your opinion :) Just sharing my opinion as well. This is how I really feel when I speak for many of the diehard fans that want to know why the ncaa can't do their job, if you can't meet the deadline then get out of the courtroom. Its like waiting in a courtroom camping out for 4 months for the judge to come, when he is to busy sitting on his butt eating hoho's and watching reruns of the greatest american hero, then he comes and says you are going to have to be stuck in his concentration camp to all hope is gone. Can't help but hate the ncaa. one class in senegal for a 18 year old who left his home country and took up three languages to make it in another counry. Then he went to a top high school. We could have spent our time recruiting a different 3rd big for this year if the ncaa is going to sit on their butt and say a kid can't play by not even coming up with a conclusion before the deadline. I understand the make friends with the communist terrorists(ncaa) to better the future but they are pure evil. No Cuse fans care if a foreign exchange student gets ruled elgible for syracuse 200,000 fans care if Diagne does. Other exchange students can wait another semester to be ruled elgible, Diagne can't. So they need to get their head out of the sand and get him to Syracuse. They deserve to be tortured with nightmares every night with devils that look like syracuse fans eating the flesh off their bones. Whatever God has to do to get him elgible :). That is my prayer hoping God will get Diagne to Syracuse. He is our last hope! Just my opinion and how I feel about them. And they know the supsensions they hit us with were awful reciculously overboard and we just lost two Juniors transfer on top of it. And they know us diehard fans read these boards daily. That is how I feel, yes its passionate and I am not alone alot of fans are passionate for Diagne to get here as a last second miracle. And we are Tired of losing Faith in things, and tired of being stomped on by the Ncaa. We are asking for some help against the evil hipocritical choosing who to punish power that the ncaa has become. This feels like the hunger games. I am 34 not a young fan and They have become evil evil evil evil people they are like a communist organization hat doesn't work but punishes people. God Help Syracuse defeat these devils. Get behind us satan, no weapon fashioned against us will prosper. Enough is Enough!

Your opinion derails when you right off the bat assume the NCAA didn't do their job. When you start there then yes you can have any opinion you want in any direction, even if incorrect.

This is the 1st time Waters has ever mentioned that he was "forced" to sit out 2013-14.

I think it was both. As I remember it, he had already redshirted and then the NCAA took the extra year of eligibility away.

Day2 said:
He has a full ride.

How much do you think it would cost to go prep?

I'm sure someone can find one, but I've never seen a kid who lacked 1 course go JUCO.

Is this the one:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ot_play_for_orange_plans_to_enroll_in_2-.html

Obokoh, a native of Nigeria, spent three years at Bishop Kearney High School in Rochester. The NCAA forced Obokoh to sit out his freshman year at Syracuse because of an issue with his high school transcript.

I know the NCAA took away a year of his eligibility because he spent an extra year in HS (he was enrolled at B-K as a Soph when he should have been a Junior). Nothing to do with his grades, or whether or not the courses he took met NCAA core guidelines.

I think Waters was being sloppy in what he wrote. My recollection at the time was that he was eligible to play, but redshirted. After the fact the NCAA ruled that he was going to lose a year of eligibility meaning he only had 4 years to complete 4 years (rather than 5 to complete 4), unfortunately he'd already sat out one of those four years as a redshirt. They basically disallowed his redshirt year.

I think Waters was being sloppy in what he wrote. My recollection at the time was that he was eligible to play, but redshirted. After the fact the NCAA ruled that he was going to lose a year of eligibility meaning he only had 4 years to complete 4 years (rather than 5 to complete 4), unfortunately he'd already sat out one of those four years as a redshirt. They basically disallowed his redshirt year.

That's what I always thought.

It wasn't until April 2014 that the NCAA took away his year .. .after he had already redshirted:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...a_year_of_college_basketball_eligibility.html

How much do you think it would cost to go prep?

I'm sure someone can find one, but I've never seen a kid who lacked 1 course go JUCO.

I did a web search and it looks like some prep schools cost as much as some universities. It really doesn't matter what most players would do in this situation, it only matters what Diagne would do. It sounds like he had no idea how or when the NCAA was going to rule and he wanted to move forward with his education and playing career. Considering he was (still is?) in Senegal at the time, I don't think prep school was a given considering the amount of uncertainty involved. Maybe he didn't know where the money was going to come from or maybe he didn't want to waste a year in a glorified high school.

Don't you think SU had some input on his decision. Prep school seems a better option but as they say, "it ain't over till it's over". Still a chance, maybe a slim one, that he will still make it to SU...

Day2 said:
I did a web search and it looks like some prep schools cost as much as some universities. It really doesn't matter what most players would do in this situation, it only matters what Diagne would do. It sounds like he had no idea how or when the NCAA was going to rule and he wanted to move forward with his education and playing career. Considering he was (still is?) in Senegal at the time, I don't think prep school was a given considering the amount of uncertainty involved. Maybe he didn't know where the money was going to come from or maybe he didn't want to waste a year in a glorified high school.

Or he knew exactly what the ultimate outcome was going to be and had no choice but to enroll in a JUCO.

The NCAA probably has several staff members just devoted to Syracuse University. Holy moly, it's endless!

Or he knew exactly what the ultimate outcome was going to be and had no choice but to enroll in a JUCO.

Yes, that's plausible. I'm not disputing that.

The outcome of the NCAA scrutinizing and ultimately not accepting a course he took as a student in Senegal?
And if the outcome is, as you seem to be saying, decided why hasn't the NCAA made it official? What's the holdup?

We all love you bees. Not trying to change your opinion :)
Just sharing my opinion as well. This is how I really feel when I speak for many of the diehard fans that want to know why the ncaa can't do their job, if you can't meet the deadline then get out of the courtroom. Its like waiting in a courtroom camping out for 4 months for the judge to come, when he is to busy sitting on his butt eating hoho's and watching reruns of the greatest american hero, then he comes and says you are going to have to be stuck in his concentration camp to all hope is gone.

Can't help but hate the ncaa. one class in senegal for a 18 year old who left his home country and took up three languages to make it in another counry. Then he went to a top high school. We could have spent our time recruiting a different 3rd big for this year if the ncaa is going to sit on their butt and say a kid can't play by not even coming up with a conclusion before the deadline.

I understand the make friends with the communist terrorists(ncaa) to better the future but they are pure evil.
No Cuse fans care if a foreign exchange student gets ruled elgible for syracuse 200,000 fans care if Diagne does. Other exchange students can wait another semester to be ruled elgible, Diagne can't. So they need to get their head out of the sand and get him to Syracuse. They deserve to be tortured with nightmares every night with devils that look like syracuse fans eating the flesh off their bones. Whatever God has to do to get him elgible :). That is my prayer hoping God will get Diagne to Syracuse. He is our last hope!

Just my opinion and how I feel about them. And they know the supsensions they hit us with were awful reciculously overboard and we just lost two Juniors transfer on top of it. And they know us diehard fans read these boards daily.
That is how I feel, yes its passionate and I am not alone alot of fans are passionate for Diagne to get here as a last second miracle.
And we are Tired of losing Faith in things, and tired of being stomped on by the Ncaa. We are asking for some help against the evil hipocritical choosing who to punish power that the ncaa has become. This feels like the hunger games.
I am 34 not a young fan and They have become evil evil evil evil people they are like a communist organization hat doesn't work but punishes people. God Help Syracuse defeat these devils. Get behind us satan, no weapon fashioned against us will prosper. Enough is Enough!

We lost the 2 juniors because they weren't going to play. They both make the right decisions to leave, BJ will probably be playing 30+ minutes a game after his sit out year and probably be given the opportunity to shoot the ball 12-17 times a game. Buss, he wasn't going to sniff the court with Richardson coming back and even if Kaleb learned the defense just a tad bit more he's going to get more minutes than last year. I won't even include Howard.

Ultimately I blame the coaching staff & the high school. Not sure which one I blame more at this point.

Based on...

Based on the fact that by all accounts the kid got the grades he needed in all the courses he took. If he didn't, then I'd place 100% of the blame on the kid.

If he did, either the coaching staff misinterpreted his high school transcript and assumed everything in Africa would pan out (if, in fact, it is the Africa classes that are in question), or the high school didn't put him in the right classes in order to get eligible. Or both.

OrangeXtreme said:
Is this the one: http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ot_play_for_orange_plans_to_enroll_in_2-.html Obokoh, a native of Nigeria, spent three years at Bishop Kearney High School in Rochester. The NCAA forced Obokoh to sit out his freshman year at Syracuse because of an issue with his high school transcript. I know the NCAA took away a year of his eligibility because he spent an extra year in HS (he was enrolled at B-K as a Frosh when he should have been a Soph). Nothing to do with his grades, or whether or not the courses he took met NCAA core guidelines. This is the 1st time Waters has ever mentioned that he was "forced" to sit out 2013-14. I always thought he sat out because of Rak, Baye, and DC being ahead of him.
yep. Also between the two articles makes it sound like NCAA looked at chino for over a year.

Based on the fact that by all accounts the kid got the grades he needed in all the courses he took. If he didn't, then I'd place 100% of the blame on the kid.

If he did, either the coaching staff misinterpreted his high school transcript and assumed everything in Africa would pan out (if, in fact, it is the Africa classes that are in question), or the high school didn't put him in the right classes in order to get eligible. Or both.
So what you've described here are the only possibilities?

So what you've described here are the only possibilities?

Unless you believe the NCAA is screwing the kid and has a vendetta against SU. Which the most respected posters on the board feel is untrue.

Name me another scenario?

Trying to figure out why being skeptical of the NCAA's handling of this amounts to vendetta-conspiracy thinking... while being convinced Diagne's high-school coach and other officials from that school are (publicly, on-the-record) lying is apparently sound reasoning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom