Dickie V diagnosed with lymphoma | Syracusefan.com

Dickie V diagnosed with lymphoma

I've gotten to know Dick a bit, and he's a totally genuine person, especially when it comes to his commitment to fighting cancer. This photo was taken at his home in Florida six years ago during a fund-raiser to combat pediatric cancer. Also, as others have said, he has done more than anyone to spread the popularity of college basketball during the past 40 years, right from the start of ESPN. I'm rooting for you, Dick.
No photo description available.

He’s got this. Say what you will about him but he’s the heart and soul of college basketball. A part of my childhood sports memories that Id like to see carry on as long as possible.

He’s a good man and stands for something genuine

I'm sure his doctors know best, but--

Based upon what was reported today about Colin Powell's circumstances and Vitale's age, it would not seem to be a good idea for him to be staying on the job while undergoing his chemo treatment. Covid is out there looking for targets.

And melanoma is certainly not to be underestimated.

I hope he can fight through all of this. He certainly has a very positive attitude about life in general, which is a big asset.

Dickie V at the Dome! You knew it was a big game when he showed up if there was any question to begin with. Those were the days when the Dome really rocked for almost any game but crazy loud for the big ones.

Fight it hard Dickie V.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. And Dick Vitale! The best

I've gotten to know Dick a bit, and he's a totally genuine person, especially when it comes to his commitment to fighting cancer. This photo was taken at his home in Florida six years ago during a fund-raiser to combat pediatric cancer. Also, as others have said, he has done more than anyone to spread the popularity of college basketball during the past 40 years, right from the start of ESPN. I'm rooting for you, Dick.
No photo description available.
^^^This. Even though his announcing could get annoying at times, especially when Duke was involved, I never questioned his genuineness or his love of people and basketball. He is as big a character as anyone in college basketball over the last 30 years. I hope he beats this so I can mute him next time he calls an SU v Duke game.

A loud guy but a good guy. I still remember him helping Jimmy V. off the stage back in '93.

I always stop to watch this because I absolutely love the 8:55 mark when Jimmy V interrupts his message to talk about "the screen is flashing up there 30 seconds, like i care about that screen right now!"

And he utters the same Italian slang I said when I read about Dickie V's lymphoma - Fanabla!

I was often irritated by Dickie V's biases but I grew to truly enjoy his schtick and obvious love of the game.

I hope he's able to watch (and enjoy) this season while enduring (and hopefully recovering from) chemo.

As annoying as I always found him, there's no question about his passion for the game. Seems like a truly great man in addition to that. Really hope he can beat this.

This is terrible. I know he loves Duke yada yada. Who cares. He's always been a huge supporter of SU and JB, and the single most important ambassador of this sport. I can't imagine college basketball without him.

Well, he’s liked Cuse at least since that time Jim destroyed him in 1v1 for charity back in ‘91…

A8529F0B-5AD7-4942-A3A3-32563BCBBF9B.jpeg

He is truly a great man. After meeting him a few times here in Sarasota I realized just how genuine and friendly he was. What you see is really what you get with Dick. What he has done for the Jimmy V. Foundation is tremendous and he works that with all his heart. My prayers go out to him and his family.

He is truly a great man. After meeting him a few times here in Sarasota I realized just how genuine and friendly he was. What you see is really what you get with Dick. What he has done for the Jimmy V. Foundation is tremendous and he works that with all his heart. My prayers go out to him and his family.
So dang true! ^^^^

If the measure is caring about other people, there is no finer than Dick Vitale.

There is no time or space right now to get caught up in life's trivialities. For 30-plus years, Vitale has waged a personal war on cancer, always on the behalf of others, most often children. And he has undeniably made a dramatic impact with people/children and fundraising.

Now, in the ultimate irony, the dreaded disease has found its chief nemesis. He has asked for help in the form of prayer. Let's give it to him, so that he can begin the fight anew in full health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom