Didn't Coach Marrone do this? | Syracusefan.com

Didn't Coach Marrone do this?

To be honest, I don't think Marrone even cares about Western New York outside of Rochester at this point

To be honest, I don't think Marrone even cares about Western New York outside of Rochester at this point

Um no... Marrone heavily recruited Akeel Lynch and Chad Kelly last year and has this camp scheduled in a few weeks -- June 10, 2012: Buffalo St, Buffalo NY.\

Sounds like someone who doesn't "even care about Western NY outside of Rochester." :rolleyes:

Not true Doug has said he wants to start getting kids from the Buffalo area.

He did not go very hard fro either Lynch or Kelly. He has the camp in the Buffalo, but it is an afterthought compared to NYC within the state. Plenty of other states are being focused upon rather than Western NY.

He did not go very hard fro either Lynch or Kelly. He has the camp in the Buffalo, but it is an afterthought compared to NYC within the state. Plenty of other states are being focused upon rather than Western NY.

You know he didn't go hard after Lynch? He has a camp in Buffalo for shits and giggles I suppose.

"University at Buffalo football has benefitted from the scant effort other schools made to recruit Western New York. James Starks (Niagara Falls) and Naaman Roosevelt (Saint Joseph's Collegiate) both went from the Bulls to the NFL. UB might not be so fortunate with O'Brien at Penn State."

Penn State isn't the only school who neglected Buffalo.

A friend of mine is a high school AD there, he said SU has a lot of fences to mend in that city.

You know he didn't go hard after Lynch? He has a camp in Buffalo for shits and giggles I suppose.
I'm not saying it's for "shits and giggles" I am saying that Western NY is not a priority at this point. Maybe it will change in the coming years but the staff is focused on the areas I have said. And yes, the staff did not go very hard for Lynch because they were pouring it on with Morris who I believe will be a much better HB than Lynch.

I'm not saying it's for "shits and giggles" I am saying that Western NY is not a priority at this point. Maybe it will change in the coming years but the staff is focused on the areas I have said. And yes, the staff did not go very hard for Lynch because they were pouring it on with Morris who I believe will be a much better HB than Lynch.

I can tell you this much...DM is focused on finding talent and players that understand what his program demands, Western NY included.

The staff is targeting kids "from areas that have a direct flight" to the Syracuse airport.

I don't believe that for ONE Minute:crazy: Some of the Best Players in SU History have come from Western NY. WNY is a lot more than Buffallo

I don't believe that for ONE Minute:crazy: Some of the Best Players in SU History have come from Western NY. WNY is a lot more than Buffallo
Once again I said AT THIS POINT. Are you referring to areas such as Elmira and Binghamton? Not many good players comic out of those areas lately, never mind great. Take a look at a list of recruits we are pursuing, not very many of them live in WNY. That could change, but that's the way it is right now.

"University at Buffalo football has benefitted from the scant effort other schools made to recruit Western New York. James Starks (Niagara Falls) and Naaman Roosevelt (Saint Joseph's Collegiate) both went from the Bulls to the NFL. UB might not be so fortunate with O'Brien at Penn State."

Penn State isn't the only school who neglected Buffalo.

A friend of mine is a high school AD there, he said SU has a lot of fences to mend in that city.

Why does SU have a lot of fences to mend?

Starks was recruited by SU, but when Coach P left, he decided for UB. Roosevelt got a look from SU, but he came out of HS as a QB. UB converted him to a receiver. SU was considering a RB from Sweet Home, but he was paralyzed in a car accident. Joe Licata (Williamsville South) had an offer from SU, but didn't accept fast enough. SU requested film for the current Williamsville South QB and of the DE's after last season.

Those are just the stories I know about for sure. So, if there are going to be statements like "SU has fences to mend, or Lynch & Kelly were only lightly recruited," there ought to be some data to back up those assertions.

All I repeated was what was said to me. This AD used to give me Malik Campbell & Damone Brown updates. He deals with parents of athletes and other AD's where he hears the stories. He said it not me.

All I repeated was what was said to me. This AD used to give me Malik Campbell & Damone Brown updates. He deals with parents of athletes and other AD's where he hears the stories. He said it not me.

You weren't curious enough during the conversation to ask him why that was?

New Jersey, Western NY state, etc.

Who the hell was it that wrecked all of these so-called fences and burned all of these freakin' bridges????

I guess I wonder about your definition of "go hard." Nathaniel Hackett is good friends with the Kelly family and I assure you that he & SU did "go hard" after Chad.

If WesternNY is an afterthought they would not have a camp there. It is allocating your resources appropriately. Does the staff place more emphasis on NYC? Yes that is obvious, but compare the talent available there vs. Buffalo area. That is smart strategy.

As for emphasizing other states vs. Buffalo, look at how we have done in Georgia. I'm comfortable with that tradeoff. We go where we have inroads and contacts with our coaches. But we are not ignoring WNY by any stretch of the imagination.,

Once again I said AT THIS POINT. Are you referring to areas such as Elmira and Binghamton? Not many good players comic out of those areas lately, never mind great. Take a look at a list of recruits we are pursuing, not very many of them live in WNY. That could change, but that's the way it is right now.

Uh, the Jones brothers may disagree with your statement.

I was a little surprised Marrone didn't recruit the Fluellen kid out of Lockport.

We recruited Starks though but we did not recruit Roosevelt - which a few here thought was a mistake. Those were both Gump kids anyways.

PSU offered Urschel late. Don't know if we offered or not but he was in the Gump/Marrone transition class I think so I don't think we did. Not really Marrone's fault there.

Uh, the Jones brothers may disagree with your statement.
Once again, they were good and not great. What has Art done in the pros? He was not even great in college. Chandler did not do much here, and he got drafted in the first round for his measurables in a weak class for DE's; you can't spin that any other way. Neither have done anything to stand out amongst any crowd.

I was a little surprised Marrone didn't recruit the Fluellen kid out of Lockport.

We recruited Starks though but we did not recruit Roosevelt - which a few here thought was a mistake. Those were both Gump kids anyways.

PSU offered Urschel late. Don't know if we offered or not but he was in the Gump/Marrone transition class I think so I don't think we did. Not really Marrone's fault there.
Fluellen had SU, rutty, UB and Toledo on his list. He signed with Toledo.

I guess I wonder about your definition of "go hard." Nathaniel Hackett is good friends with the Kelly family and I assure he & SU did "go hard" after Chad.

If WesternNY is an afterthought they would not have a camp there. It is allocating your resources appropriately. Does the staff place more emphasis? Yes that is obvious, but compare the talent available there vs. Buffalo area. That is smart strategy.

As for emphasizing other states vs. Buffalo, look at how we have done in Georgia. I'm comfortable with that tradeoff. We go where we have inroads and contacts with our coaches. But we are not ignoring WNY by any stretch of the imagination.,

The Buffalo region is not a hotbed of football talent. Part of the problem with Buffalo football is the city schools. For years there was little, or no football for this large pool of students. The recently departed school superintendent brought back football. Hopefully, there will be an increase in the number of Div. 1 football players available from the region in the next few years.

Also, another problem is that some of the Buffalo sportswriters still have their knickers in a twist about the Carrier Dome. They are angry that the dome was built at a private school instead of UB. Never mind that UB was playing Div. III football at the time the dome was built.

Once again, they were good and not great. What has Art done in the pros? He was not even great in college. Chandler did not do much here, and he got drafted in the first round for his measurables in a weak class for DE's; you can't spin that any other way. Neither have done anything to stand out amongst any crowd.

Arthur Jones was a 2x all first team big east selection and was also a second team selection. Chandler was a first team all big east player and second team selection in his 3 years. I'm not sure what you mean by "didn't do much here." They both went on to become NFL draft picks, included a first round pick (Art most likely would have been a top 60 pick until his injury).

You must have ridiculously loft standards if you think that those resumes are underwhelming. If every player that signed on to Syracuse became a multiple time all league selection and NFL draft pick I would like to think this program would have success. According to you, not so much.

NFL players are as good as it gets my friend! Arthur Jones was a fantastic nose tackle until he got hurt. You need to retract this statement if you expect credibility.

They are GOOD not GREAT. You both must be idiots if you cannot understand the difference between those two. Neither of the Jones' are even in the same league as great college and NFL players. Take off your Orange colored glasses

They are GOOD not GREAT. You both must be idiots if you cannot understand the difference between those two. Neither of the Jones' are even in the same league as great college and NFL players. Take off your Orange colored glasses

I would never dare speak for CIL, but I'm not sure you are both arguing extremely different things here. I don't think it can be debated that either of the Jones's were in the Freeney class of dominant defensive players, (CIL would agree) however, each when on the field for us were certainly the player that offenses schemed around. In that alone, I don't think they deserve simply a "good" rating. Being very good as opposed to great can be a result of other factors besides stats. Chan was hurt this past year and would have had much better numbers had he played in every game, such was also the case for Art his final year. In addition, Art's job was to take up space and free up the LB's. During that stretch at SU, we didn't exactly have dynamic LB's. Wasn't Ben Maljovic (sp?) a starter one year? Both those Jones boys would have started for almost every team in the country... Chan may end up being a better pro than college player. I wonder if that happens, whether his legacy at Cuse will be built up as a result.

Wow you do realize that NFL means as good as it gets? There's no step up! These are guys that are going to be professional for years. You do comprehend that means that they were among the VERY best college players?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom