Dino’s H0t Seat Rankings | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s H0t Seat Rankings

If he finishes 8-5 this year and goes 9-4 the next two years, we'd all look silly for our posts this year.

They have the talent to do exactly that on this team now.
No, I don't think so. They might have the talent going forward but not the coaching. Could it happen yes, but the probabilities suggest otherwise. Do we want to reup a coach for another 3-4 years with a losing record? No thanks. You don't invest in failure. The idea that he suddenly learned how to coach in year 6 doesn't leave me feeling good about the future. Demand and expect more.

6 years is a pretty substantial body of evidence. Let's see how this plays out but 27-40 (hopefully 28 after tomorrow) doesn't cut it. I think its somewhat crazy TTech fired their coach but, I agree with the AD's general views. We should all expect more.
I hate citing career records without context. The first 2 years were digging out of the Shafer hole with our starting QB getting injured both years. That already puts a coach behind. The biggest mistake was not landing a good enough QB that could keep his head on straight to lead the team post Dungey. That seems to be rectified along with the oline. Progress often isn't linear.

There are a multitude of reasons bad teams stay bad. Sometimes one of those is making a change when it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
No, I don't think so. They might have the talent going forward but not the coaching. Could it happen yes, but the probabilities suggest otherwise. Do we want to reup a coach for another 3-4 years with a losing record? No thanks. You don't invest in failure. The idea that he suddenly learned how to coach in year 6 doesn't leave me feeling good about the future. Demand and expect more.
Here. But he was a winner elsewhere as his record indicates pre SU

It continues to surprise me about all the anti Dino rhetoric. This team is the most enjoyable we’ve had since Mcnabb. VERY easily, the team could have only one or two losses. AND it’s on the rise. Settle down everyone.

truth

Yes, I'm talking about in game decisions.
Also, how about the recruiting failures? Hiring his son in law's father as quarterbacks coach?
Recruiting failures? The whole roster is upgraded compared to when he arrived. Has he missed in some guys? Yeah. Guess what, every team does, and it's been a long time since SU was viewed as a prime destination. It takes time to build that.

Hiring his son in law's father was a big blunder. I wonder if it costed us some QBs. That's fixed now.

In game decisions are sometimes a problem. They have frustrated me. I'm willing to live with them, if he can continue to build the overall program. Nick Saban or some other proven coach is not coming to replace him. He's doing enough to rectify his mistakes and strengthen the program that I'd rather not continue the revolving door of coaches that don't guarantee an upgrade.

I hate citing career records without context. The first 2 years were digging out of the Shafer hole with our starting QB getting injured both years. That already puts a coach behind. The biggest mistake was not landing a good enough QB that could keep his head on straight to leqd the team post Dungey. That seems to be rectified along with the oline. Progress often isn't linear.

There are a multitude of reasons bad teams stay bad. Sometimes one of those is making a change when it shouldn't be.
But how then do you explain the immediate turn arounds that seem to happen every year in college FB ? Dumb luck ?Good head coaches are important. I accept that the U made some very bad hiring decisions in Gump and Shafer but somehow other schools are able to overcome this issue time and again. This is a significant body of work after 6 years. He's not getting it done. He's responsible for for the failure to identify, recruit and install a starting QB. You can't just say oh well on that. Hoping for a miracle this year and next is not a game plan. I will root for them every single game as I have always done but at some point we have to move the proverbial ball forward here.

Recruiting failures? The whole roster is upgraded compared to when he arrived. Has he missed in some guys? Yeah. Guess what, every team does, and it's been a long time since SU was viewed as a prime destination. It takes time to build that.

Hiring his son in law's father was a big blunder. I wonder if it costed us some QBs. That's fixed now.

In game decisions are sometimes a problem. They have frustrated me. I'm willing to live with them, if he can continue to build the overall program. Nick Saban or some other proven coach is not coming to replace him. He's doing enough to rectify his mistakes and strengthen the program that I'd rather not continue the revolving door of coaches that don't guarantee an upgrade.
My gripes are with wide receiver corp - Except for Amba; Dino's best wrs were Shafer kids.
Also, OL injuries happen every year, just like what's happening this year with Bleich, Tisdale, Vet, Froumy. Only difference is we finally have a P5 level O-Line room. It took 6 years to finally reach P5 level?

But how then do you explain the immediate turn arounds that seem to happen every year in college FB ? Dumb luck ?Good head coaches are important. I accept that the U made some very bad hiring decisions in Gump and Shafer but somehow other schools are able to overcome this issue time and again. This is a significant body of work after 6 years. He's not getting it done. He's responsible for for the failure to identify, recruit and install a starting QB. You can't just say oh well on that. Hoping for a miracle this year and next is not a game plan. I will root for them every single game as I have always done but at some point we have to move the proverbial ball forward here.
Name those schools. It absolutely happens, but more fail than succeed. And if you're not referencing P5 schools, I don't care. Fuente was one of those hot coaches that turned around a bad Memphis team and now he's on the hot seat at VPI. Babers turned around Eastern Illinois before moving on to success at Bowling Green. Coaches that are good at one place don't always stay good when they step in competition. Successful coordinators at highly successful schools often fall flat on their face when stepping up to a head coaching role at a place with more challenges than where they came from. It's not straight forward.

Name the P5 teams similar to SU (private school in an area with poor high school football prospects with the record we had for 10 years prior to Dino's arrival) that immediately turned around this year. If it happens every year, it shouldn't be hard.

Last edited:
Sadly, it isn't. There was zero reason to kick the extra pt when we were up 4 with :19 to go. None. Two choices. Go for 2 (by running) to get it to 6 or fall on the ball. There are no 4 or 5 pt plays. And it's an every game type of thing. He is a good coach. He finds hidden talent. He coaches them up. He isn't good at game management. That isn't a crime. He needs help. The fact that he doesn't see that is the bigger problem.
Go for 2, pick or fumble returned for 2 points the other way and you’re only up 2 losing to a field goal when they would otherwise need to go the length of the field with 19 seconds left to win if down more than 3. Doing anything else but kicking the extra point is reckless at best and stupid at worst.

My gripes are with wide receiver corp - Except for Amba; Dino's best wrs were Shafer kids.
Also, OL injuries happen every year, just like what's happening this year with Bleich, Tisdale, Vet, Froumy. Only difference is we finally have a P5 level O-Line room. It took 6 years to finally reach P5 level?
Trishton Jackson wasn’t a Dino pickup? Taj wasn’t a Dino pickup? Just because taj left doesn’t mean he wasn’t a clear talent for the last 3 years

Go for 2, pick or fumble returned for 2 points the other way and you’re only up 2 losing to a field goal when they would otherwise need to go the length of the field with 19 seconds left to win if down more than 3. Doing anything else but kicking the extra point is reckless at best and stupid at worst.
Maybe you missed earlier in the game when they blocked the extra and ran it back. Kicking it is the one thing you can't do. It doesn't help at all. There is no difference between 4 and 5. How can you not understand that? If you are worried about them converting a turnover, fall on the ball and go kick off. You just don't kick the extra pt. There is nothing to gain by doing that. At least going for 2, you can be up 6. And by the way, that is what a TD is worth. You would at least make them kick an extra pt if they did score. to kick the extra pt is the dumbest thing you can do. It adds risk and gives you nothing. It is simple math.

The narrative is greater than winning %, ready?

system + Dungey = success (1st year is implementation, Eric gets hurt, 2nd year we beat #2 Clemson Eric gets hurt, 10 wins in year 3)

Bad hires + OL injuries + system gets figured out + QB got the yips and sucks = bad 2019 plus Covid kills 2020.

New system in O and D, new QB, guy rebuilt the thing = 2021

but winning %?! Maybe we’re alright

Yeah, we've missed there. I've wondered why. The success of our WRs the first three years should've been attractive. Recruiting is an inexact science.

Yeah, we've missed there. I've wondered why. The success of our WRs the first three years should've been attractive. Recruiting is an inexact science.
Field turf in a controlled environment too. It's crazy.

Trishton Jackson wasn’t a Dino pickup? Taj wasn’t a Dino pickup? Just because taj left doesn’t mean he wasn’t a clear talent for the last 3 years
AET too. But I get what he's saying. Taj was was no Ishmael or Philips, and it just seems different when the best guys he's brought in were transfers. Hopefully we're seeing Alford start to blossom and maybe there are a couple other young guys developing that will contribute next year.

Field turf in a controlled environment too. It's crazy.
I'm not sure the controlled environment matters all that much to recruits. They grow up playing outside. The southern guys can avoid snow and cold by staying south. I think glitz matters more. Our cool new scoreboard may help there. Who else can say they have a center hung board? We're never going to compete in the attendance game. I've said before we need ro make our place the Cameron Indoor of college football. Our fans are close to the field and a packed place may be louder than anywhere. That could be appealing, if we can get things going consistently enough to establish a reputation.

My main issue that I’ve come to learn is that 2 people are single handledly making Dino look good, eric dungey and Shrader. I understand Dino made the change but to think he waited as long as he did is very concerning about his actual judgment. Dungey made Dino successful and not the other way around and now it’s the same scenario. He’s getting bailed out. I’m fine with it but this team should have 1 loss at most.

My main issue that I’ve come to learn is that 2 people are single handledly making Dino look good, eric dungey and Shrader. I understand Dino made the change but to think he waited as long as he did is very concerning about his actual judgment. Dungey made Dino successful and not the other way around and now it’s the same scenario. He’s getting bailed out. I’m fine with it but this team should have 1 loss at most.
Great players that make plays always make coaches look good. McNabb did a lot of that for 4 years. Watkins and Lawrence made Dabo look pretty darn good. A coach can't win when he is criticised for his players being good.

Quarterback is the most important position in sports. A great one makes a coach look really good and a bad one makes them look bad. It doesn't matter if it's college or pros. I still contend that Shrader's strengths were difficult to show in practice, making the decision to go to him less than clear. In any drill that required throwing, he wasn't going to look better than TD. He wasn't going to break tackles in practice because he wasn't allowed to get hit.

What strikes me about the "hot seat" list are the coaches who many on this board considered "dream hires" when Shafer was let go (like Frost, Fuente, and Orgeron). Coaching hires can be a real crap shoot, where success at one school (or as an OC or DC) doesn't always translate to success as a HC at another. Folks need to be careful what they wish for.

Agree though I think he's retained regardless. I thought he wasn't getting fired even at 3-9 due to how much more competitive the team has been. The VT road win should cement it.
He wasn't

Great players that make plays always make coaches look good. McNabb did a lot of that for 4 years. Watkins and Lawrence made Dabo look pretty darn good. A coach can't win when he is criticised for his players being good.

Quarterback is the most important position in sports. A great one makes a coach look really good and a bad one makes them look bad. It doesn't matter if it's college or pros. I still contend that Shrader's strengths were difficult to show in practice, making the decision to go to him less than clear. In any drill that required throwing, he wasn't going to look better than TD. He wasn't going to break tackles in practice because he wasn't allowed to get hit.
True but the entire staff and more importantly the players new Shrader was good.
Dino screwed up hiring Martin and Cav. Both disasters.
The guy runs a good program and i personally think he has recruited well given the losing records.
He is an average game coach and terrible at clock management. Hopefully he can improve in both areas.
What i do like very much is that the kids seem to like and more importantly respect him. I think that he hit a home run with coach white and schmidt and Gilbert is starting to come along.
Shrader is here for 2 more years and if he can keep Tucker which i believe he will although this is definitely not a given, we have an opportunity to be a good team. 7 wins or more the next two years.
Its unfortunate that his poor decisions cost us minimally 2 games but at this point i do believe its best that he is retained with a restructured contract.
The VT win was huge for the program as the administration was in a very difficult spot because of the buyout. Hopefully JW has learned from this and now realizes that buyouts work both ways.
We should win today and hopefully can grab one more.
Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom