Dino’s star took a major hit tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s star took a major hit tonight

This has been severely disappointing... We have ZERO offense. I dont know what to say about the D, "sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ." If you know that then you're awesome! Devito was a highly rated recruit but omg does he look flustered. Also, hes not young anymore... hes a redshirt Soph (Junior), been on the team for 3 yrs and started 6 games... past the point of excuses...

Still a lot of youth and newbies in key spots and I don’t see any leaders, particularly on the O side. Big issue.
i agree. however our coaching and play calling is very bad. we were not prepared,again, and we do not have very good players. our recruiting need a big jolt---our coaching is embarrassing right now. even with poor talent, we should be able to at least execute w/o so many stupid penalties. this is one of the worst offenses, i have seen in years. dino needs to take stock in whats going on. he looks like a deer in the headlights.
go back and see marone did with poor to mediocre talent.

There needs to be consequences when guys act like they did tonight. Cordy has been playing for six years and his play and hot dogging should sit him down. The motion penalties should have the line coach sending out his resume. Dino needs to kick some butt before the season is lost.
Cordy should not have been put back in the game. That is an indictment of Dino.

This is college football the coach needs to be the leader and the players have to follow his lead. With the high turnover of players year in and year out it is hard to put a leader title on anyone else. If the team lacks leadership and focus that falls at the feet of the head coach not any player
100%. It is time to change focus on what is the problem and who can fix what. The adults need the spotlight.

Ya the undisciplined play, guys melting down on the sidelines, no leadership was pretty alarming. We showed a lot of signs of a poorly coached, unprepared football team. Never thought i would say that about Dino. Really surprised.
The undisciplined play all season has been really surprising. I think the announcers said the team was the 11th most penalized team in the nation.

Still a lot of youth and newbies in key spots but I don’t see any team leaders, particularly on the O side. Big issue.

I think this is the best perspective I have seen on this board.

Right now we have a young OL that is getting manhandled for the most part.

We also need help at DT and probably at LB.

It's a talent issue.

We just need more, better players.

Last edited:
The problem isn’t Dino.

It’s obviously that we don’t have enough bagmen.

Empty your wallets, it’s time to go buy the likeness rights of a new OL and QB.
Did Dino hire his assistants? If yes, then Dino is part of the problem.

I feel like people have this inclination to think that if someone doesn't like the way a coach is performing, it means they want them fired.

I want Dino as our coach, I'm happy he's our coach, I like him a lot as a person, but he's just sucked this year. Plain and simple.

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.

I feel like people have this inclination to think that if someone doesn't like the way a coach is performing, it means they want them fired.

I want Dino as our coach, I'm happy he's our coach, I like him a lot as a person, but he's just sucked this year. Plain and simple.

THIS

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

There is still a lot he can control that will put butts in seats. One idea that has benefits is addressing the lack of discipline that results in so many of the mental mistakes we see week in and week out.

Play calling and clock management also seem to stand out as areas of frustration.

If he’s that good of a coach, we should see some improvement and I believe we will, but it will likely come at a cost this season.

You have to remember, this is the first time in his career that he has coached year 3 and year 4 at a school. Year 3 was really good and Year 4 less so. Previously, he has taken what he was given and improved it. At Syracuse, he has had to be the program builder. The big difference this year seems to be QB play. Divito's passing stats are currently better than Dungey's from last year, but Dungey was a much better runner.

At Eastern Illinois, the team had performed poorly before he got there with two 2-9 seasons. He turned it around, but he inherited a two year starter in Jimmy Garappolo and dramatically improved his play over the two years he was there.

At Bowling Green, he inherited a 10-3 MAC champion that had been rebuilt by Dave Clawson. He benched the QB he inherited during his first year, but his second year, he made him a star QB.

What's the point? Babers needs a QB who can run his offense. Maybe that means he needs a dual threat QB to be successful against ACC competition. Maybe Divito is not the right QB to run Baber's offense in the ACC. If Divito can't do it, then the transfer portal will provide candidates to replace him. Babers' offense is very attractive to top QBs.

Are you seriously blaming the fans for this?

The fans stepped up and bought season tickets this year. Were you at the Clemson game?

Dino will ensure half vacant seats with performances like this and Maryland.

I hope you're wrong.

You have to remember, this is the first time in his career that he has coached year 3 and year 4 at a school. Year 3 was really good and Year 4 less so. Previously, he has taken what he was given and improved it. At Syracuse, he has had to be the program builder. The big difference this year seems to be QB play. Divito's passing stats are currently better than Dungey's from last year, but Dungey was a much better runner.

At Eastern Illinois, the team had performed poorly before he got there with two 2-9 seasons. He turned it around, but he inherited a two year starter in Jimmy Garappolo and dramatically improved his play over the two years he was there.

At Bowling Green, he inherited a 10-3 MAC champion that had been rebuilt by Dave Clawson. He benched the QB he inherited during his first year, but his second year, he made him a star QB.

What's the point? Babers needs a QB who can run his offense. Maybe that means he needs a dual threat QB to be successful against ACC competition. Maybe Divito is not the right QB to run Baber's offense in the ACC. If Divito can't do it, then the transfer portal will provide candidates to replace him. Babers' offense is very attractive to top QBs.

When DeVito runs he is effective.

With our OL, I think he has to run to keep the defense honest.

The obvious problem is we’re not cheating nearly enough. This needs to stop - who cares about dome renovations when we can buy ourselves some 5-stars.

When DeVito runs he is effective.

With our OL, I think he has to run to keep the defense honest.

when he runs it changes the way the defense plays us and we start moving the ball. This needs to happen more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom