Dino’s star took a major hit tonight | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s star took a major hit tonight

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.
Oof. Rough take.

I don't want you to be right.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

While that maybe true his first two years that is simply note the case the last few seasons. Attendance was way up on the back end of the schedule and SU had its best stretch or recruiting under Dino to close out the class last year. Season tickets sales spiked big time and we had close to a sell out for Clemson. Of course in absolutely predictable SU fashion we got our doors blown off the week before Clemson and lost Gameday, then put up a Rutgers level offensive performance against Clemson and then looked like Grob level team on National TV last night against what is really a god awful NC State team starting a QB who couldn't even see the field at the JUCO school he was at last season. It's hard to to blame the fans for not showing up when SU craters every single time people actually buy in and show up. For year 4 under Dino this program looks absolutely lost and it has zero to do with the fanbase.

Do you want the fans to block, throw the ball and call the plays too?

Those seem to more directly impact the results of the game than the fan support, which I may add was at a decades' high level at the beginning of the season.

This is college football the coach needs to be the leader and the players have to follow his lead. With the high turnover of players year in and year out it is hard to put a leader title on anyone else. If the team lacks leadership and focus that falls at the feet of the head coach not any player
It's not accurate to say that the turnover in college players makes it hard to have player leaders. Anyone who ever played on a team in high school or college likely had leaders among the players. I don't expect that first or second year players will grab that mantle, but 3rd, 4th and 5th years is a lot of players from which to find a couple of leaders. Coaches usually are adept at identifying players to groom for those roles.

It was embarrassing. So many moments where I'm yelling at my TV. So many compounding things (bad OL, penalties, etc.) ...

And yet, a chance to win it at the end. In some ways, it looks like a team that needs to relearn what it takes to win. And that's an understandable and hugely disappointing step back.

It's "nut up" time for the team. Do you want to do the work to be better or are you going to fold?

His star took a hit? He probably will get an offer or two in the off-season. People have always said you can't win at Syracuse. He can say he tried and the one season where everything went right, they had a historic year. This is a really bad take and an emotional one at that.

I think this is the best perspective I have seen on this board.

Right now we have a young OL that is getting manhandled for the most part.

We also need help at DT and probably at LB.

It's a talent issue.

We just need more, better players.

and with what we have seen thus far next years class doesn't look stellar

This thread reminds me of Marrone's last year, right after the Cinci loss. Losing sucks and the signs are there for a bad rest of the season - but sometimes, things get better.

Lots of games left.

(Also, last night - I was thinking that it may take until next year for the O to find a true rhythm. Sucks, but maybe true)

I'm not sure what it is but Dino hasn't been "Dino" this entire year. I don't know if he has one foot out the door or something personal is going on but he just seems like a different person from the first three years. The excuses "we didn't have tape" that we never heard his first three years, the aloof press conference, the angry PC, lack of getting angry on the sidelines, little to no in game adjustments, bizarre play calling etc etc etc. Something appears to be way way off.

Clawson seems to be doing a great job at Wake Forest, which isn’t an easy place to win and build a program. So the notion that Dino can’t succeed at SU because attendance isn’t up to par is ridiculous. I love Dino, but if he can’t get it done here, I’m sure someone else can.

I'm not sure what it is but Dino hasn't been "Dino" this entire year. I don't know if he has one foot out the door or something personal is going on but he just seems like a different person from the first three years. The excuses "we didn't have tape" that we never heard his first three years, the aloof press conference, the angry PC, lack of getting angry on the sidelines, little to no in game adjustments, bizarre play calling etc etc etc. Something appears to be way way off.

I agree, this isn’t the Dino we had the first three years. I really loved Dino the first three years. I just hope some how some way we can get back to that.

If we can’t or Dino is on his way out whatever, I’m confident that Wildhack will do what’s necessary to bring in a big time coach. Wildhack believes and supports this football team

He still seems to be getting angry. Maybe not like we’d want, but he chewed out the refs a few times last night. But something does seem to bugging him. Might be the injuries that have lingered of the realization that he doesn’t have the skill set right now to compete like he hoped. I’m just not seeing the offensive genius we thought we were getting. The up-tempo offense hasn’t been effective. It just seems the program had taken a step back this year.

Agree but I think it’s because of what he sees in the locker room: selfish and ticked off players who don’t play together and that is very hard to fix. Locker room cancer kills teams and coaches

Are you seriously blaming the fans for this?

The fans stepped up and bought season tickets this year. Were you at the Clemson game?

Dino will ensure half vacant seats with performances like this and Maryland.

Were you at the WMU or Holy Cross games?

I was listening to Greg McElroy yesterday (not that he's the voice of reason or anything), who was disputing that. In his opinion, and from his many conversations with coaches, the stadium experience isn't as high on a kid's recruiting priority list as people think. He said things like chance to play early, being on TV, path to get to the Sunday league, and ability for family to watch you play all rank higher.

I was listening to Greg McElroy yesterday (not that he's the voice of reason or anything), who was disputing that. In his opinion, and from his many conversations with coaches, the stadium experience isn't as high on a kid's recruiting priority list as people think. He said things like chance to play early, being on TV, path to get to the Sunday league, and ability for family to watch you play all rank higher.

Hope kids like Nooners on the ACCN.

I somewhat disagree here because he know's what he's got and it's hard to always keep up a happy rah rah face to the public. I think to a man over a beer he'd be honest with ya, but he's not going to throw his step son's or his coaches under the bus at the podium. Sometimes it's chemistry (players and coaches), sometimes it's youth, sometimes it's talent, sometimes things go sideways. It's hard to replace veteran leadership. It's hard to win. It's hard being a coach.

Last edited:

Syracuse has a ceiling for sure. This is what many have known but refused to accept for a long time, but we are what we are and will continue to be...a mediocre team with some seasonal highs and some seasonal lows along the way.

Hope kids like Nooners on the ACCN.

ACCN is often doing tripleheaders. We need to figure out how to get the 2nd or 3rd slot.

I think the disadvantage of Syracuse being smack dab in the middle of state that just doesn't care about HS football is always going to work against us.

If the stadium experience is turning kids away, I hope at least the Dome improvements will help, along with whatever that $25M is going towards.

One big difference is that he seems less aggressive. We don't seem to go for it in places we went for it last year. We seem to settle for the punt or FG too often. While our punter and field goal kicker are outstanding I think that aggressive edge that Dino had the first 3 years are gone and the team plays like he coaches now scared.

One big difference is that he seems less aggressive. We don't seem to go for it in places we went for it last year. We seem to settle for the punt or FG too often. While our punter and field goal kicker are outstanding I think that aggressive edge that Dino had the first 3 years are gone and the team plays like he coaches now scared.

Excellent Point.

Were you at the WMU or Holy Cross games?

Just bought a place on Oneida Lake so I was enjoying the weather but my family used the 3 season tickets and parking pass.

Syracuse has a ceiling for sure. This is what many have known but refused to accept for a long time, but we are what we are and will continue to be...a mediocre team with some seasonal highs and some seasonal lows along the way.

we just want to go to bowl games pretty much every year. if BC can do it, we can too. this year just looks like a trainwreck on all fronts. it's a shame, the conference is terrible, we have two DEs who will be playing in the NFL next year, and the season looks like a 4-8 kind of year (I think we find a way to beat BC but that's it). let's hope they can somehow scrape together 6 wins but I don't see it.

Just bought a place on Oneida Lake so I was enjoying the weather but my family used the 3 season tickets and parking pass.

OK. We've accounted for 5 seats (out of 49,000). Your 3 plus my 2.

Where was everyone else that day? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom