Dino’s star took a major hit tonight | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s star took a major hit tonight

Clawson seems to be doing a great job at Wake Forest, which isn’t an easy place to win and build a program. So the notion that Dino can’t succeed at SU because attendance isn’t up to par is ridiculous. I love Dino, but if he can’t get it done here, I’m sure someone else can.

If Dino leaves, you're going to be scraping from the bottom of the heap to get a coach to come here. We saw what that netted SU when they kept Shafer on board.

One big difference is that he seems less aggressive. We don't seem to go for it in places we went for it last year. We seem to settle for the punt or FG too often. While our punter and field goal kicker are outstanding I think that aggressive edge that Dino had the first 3 years are gone and the team plays like he coaches now scared.

and I'd bet that lack of aggression is because he lacks the confidence in this team to get it done. You need to trust your guys if you want to be aggressive. We can't even get a yard when we need one.

OK. We've accounted for 5 seats (out of 49,000). Your 3 plus my 2.

Where was everyone else that day? :)

Don't think it's worth griping about attendance against FCS teams. When no one shows up this Friday night, go ahead and gripe away.

If Dino leaves, you're going to be scraping from the bottom of the heap to get a coach to come here. We saw what that netted SU when they kept Shafer on board.

I’m not looking for him to leave. I still think he can be successful over a long period. But if does leave, SU is still an attractive program as an ACC school. The next coach would probably be someone like Dino who had success at a mid major or a coordinator at a bigger program.

and I'd bet that lack of aggression is because he lacks the confidence in this team to get it done. You need to trust your guys if you want to be aggressive. We can't even get a yard when we need one.

It's that simple. It really is at times.

I’m not looking for him to leave. I still think he can be successful over a long period. But if does leave, SU is still an attractive program as an ACC school. The next coach would probably be someone like Dino who had success at a mid major or a coordinator at a bigger program.

Tell me what's attractive about it.

Guys we didn't lose all 22 starters from last year's 10-3 team. We're not as bad as we look on offense. As much as I'm numb to these results, I'm telling myself we're one solid QB away from another 8-9 win season. We just need a QB that can function with mediocre line play because we're NEVER going to have a Wisconsin line. It's just not happening. Dungey's last year was our best line in years and we still had to rely on his legs every other down and in short yardage.

Hoping we can scour the portal this year with better success. Dino seemed to recruit better when he had more PT opportunities to sell? Tommy just seems like the wrong fit for this personnel. He'd be a great backup because in those situations you don't have to get too creative and they don't scout for your weaknesses.

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.

Slippery slope. Fans stepped up this year and bought tons of season tickets. Maryland WAXED us and the Dome was still damn near full for Clemson. If you build it, we will come.

Dino and his offense lost the game against Clemson. It was a horrible performance and if it weren't for the defense forcing turnovers and stops, that game would've been 77-0.

When you have a chance to keep the fans engaged, losing to Maryland 63-20 is not a good start. Looking like a JV team offensively against Clemson in front of a packed Dome doesn't help, either. At least be competitive. The play-calling is beyond vanilla this year.

The fans came, but the product sucked. This is what happens after 15+ years of mediocrity.

Please cut the attendance excuses when talking about recruiting.

we lost by 40+ to Maryland then sold out the next game against Clemson at home. It was easily one of the most electrifying atmospheres in college football this season, even Dabo said it was the loudest road game his team’s experienced.

Recruiting is not the fans faults. At what point do we actually blame the people who are paid six figures a year to recruit as half their job?

Hold someone accountable on the sidelines, they haven’t proved a damn inch of consistency and we’re still blaming ourselves instead

Slippery slope. Fans stepped up this year and bought tons of season tickets. Maryland WAXED us and the Dome was still damn near full for Clemson. If you build it, we will come.

Dino and his offense lost the game against Clemson. It was a horrible performance and if it weren't for the defense forcing turnovers and stops, that game would've been 77-0.

When you have a chance to keep the fans engaged, losing to Maryland 63-20 is not a good start. Looking like a JV team offensively against Clemson in front of a packed Dome doesn't help, either. At least be competitive. The play-calling is beyond vanilla this year.

The fans came, but the product sucked. This is what happens after 15+ years of mediocrity.
You beat me to it.

Clawson seems to be doing a great job at Wake Forest, which isn’t an easy place to win and build a program. So the notion that Dino can’t succeed at SU because attendance isn’t up to par is ridiculous. I love Dino, but if he can’t get it done here, I’m sure someone else can.

Have you ever looked at how much talent resides in North Carolina ? 33 - three star kids and 11 - 4 star kids this year alone.

On the flip side Clawson hasn't done anything special. He's been at Wake 5 years and his record is 28-35 or 44%. If Dino won last night he'd have been at .500. Clawson is 3-9, 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and now 5-0 against a really weak schedule to date. Whoopdedoo.

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.
Way off. The seats will be empty so long as the team plays like that.

waaay offfff

You all didn't come during the Marrone years when he had turned around the ship.

Have you ever looked at how much talent resides in North Carolina ? 33 - three star kids and 11 - 4 star kids this year alone.

On the flip side Clawson hasn't done anything special. He's been at Wake 5 years and his record is 28-35 or 44%. If Dino won last night he'd have been at .500. Clawson is 3-9, 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and now 5-0 against a really weak schedule to date. Whoopdedoo.

That’s 4 straight wining seasons. Get back to me the next time SU has 4 straight winning seasons.

Please cut the attendance excuses when talking about recruiting.

we lost by 40+ to Maryland then sold out the next game against Clemson at home. It was easily one of the most electrifying atmospheres in college football this season, even Dabo said it was the loudest road game his team’s experienced.

Recruiting is not the fans faults. At what point do we actually blame the people who are paid six figures a year to recruit as half their job?

Hold someone accountable on the sidelines, they haven’t proved a damn inch of consistency and we’re still blaming ourselves instead

Really hilarious coming from guys who've never been on the trail in any capacity to talk about recruiting. This goes for the basketball side too. You can have everything a kid wants and they still will choose to go elsewhere for their own reasons. If it was as easy as Syracuse Fan makes it seem, they would have pulled in four star guys when Shafer had this program at its worst since Robinson.

That’s 4 straight wining seasons. Get back to me the next time SU has 4 straight winning seasons.

Marrone, Shafer, and Babers combined had 4 winning seasons over 10 years.

Really hilarious coming from guys who've never been on the trail in any capacity to talk about recruiting. This goes for the basketball side too. You can have everything a kid wants and they still will choose to go elsewhere for their own reasons. If it was as easy as Syracuse Fan makes it seem, they would have pulled in four star guys when Shafer had this program at its worst since Robinson.
It's true.

But there are guys that are better at it than others.

It's possible we don't have enough of those.

This is what gets me. It is his team. He recruited nearly all of the players. The vast talent and execution deficiencies are troubling. If he doesn't have confidence in them, then what should we think about him?

You know whats hilarious? Blaming an upstate/rust belt fan base that churned out 10,000 new season ticket holders and upped attendance again a second year in a Row. Thats hilarious.

It’s true and why I did t lose my sht when Gowdy picked G Tech when THUR JUST LUHRNI G TEH FORWARD PASS!!!One.

Yeah because Syracuse fans would be doing cartwheels over 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 going into year 6. He never would've made it to year 6 here.

We're 3-3 right now which is on par with his best years and look around.

Agreed. We've got money. We're in a FBS conference. We're committed to football. If we weren't, we wouldn't be redoing the Dome and spending tens of millions on an operations center. We have plenty to sell to coaches who want to win at the highest level. The scraping the bottom of the barrel stuff is such crap.

Why is surplus AD money going to pay for egghead professors to tour Tuscany when our locker room is on par with many high schools? Use ACC money on new dorms, facilities, freakin' bowling alleys to increase the appeal factor. Even the renaissance of the Dome doesn't go far enough to insure another good decade of football...

While that maybe true his first two years that is simply note the case the last few seasons. Attendance was way up on the back end of the schedule and SU had its best stretch or recruiting under Dino to close out the class last year. Season tickets sales spiked big time and we had close to a sell out for Clemson. Of course in absolutely predictable SU fashion we got our doors blown off the week before Clemson and lost Gameday, then put up a Rutgers level offensive performance against Clemson and then looked like Grob level team on National TV last night against what is really a god awful NC State team starting a QB who couldn't even see the field at the JUCO school he was at last season. It's hard to to blame the fans for not showing up when SU craters every single time people actually buy in and show up. For year 4 under Dino this program looks absolutely lost and it has zero to do with the fanbase.
Totally agree. I’m so tired of the “Dino needs to see more fan support “ argument when we see performances like last night. The diehards like us are always going to show up no matter what. But when we start to build some momentum in the fan base and then these dismal displays occur, there goes the fringe fan.Its year four. Come on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom