Dino’s star took a major hit tonight | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s star took a major hit tonight

I totally agree with this...
Is Dino still in the conversation with bigger P5 schools or is he secretly considering a jump to a peer school in better recruiting grounds? My concern is he's frustrated that he should have struck while the iron was hot last year like Marrone did... and that his star will be permanently damaged the longer he stays here because he can't recruit the talent that he wants. Yes this hot take came right out of the oven.

Im not sure about that, but if so that’s slightly terrifying considering we lose Black and Ruff.
I may be wrong. Either way I like Barclay at OT and Illoa at DT. 6’7 260 as a true frosh OT sounds good and a 6’3 280 DT sounds good as well. Vetrello and Berg are my guess for next year OT starters and I think both will be good. The struggles vet has this year will pay dividends the next 3 years

And looking at the sizes of these players they don’t seem undersized. I truly think these struggles are on the coaches not the talent

I may be wrong. Either way I like Barclay at OT and Illoa at DT. 6’7 260 as a true frosh OT sounds good and a 6’3 280 DT sounds good as well. Vetrello and Berg are my guess for next year OT starters and I think both will be good. The struggles vet has this year will pay dividends the next 3 years
We need a qb that can see over tall lineman. Tommy is 6'0 without shoes. Might be why he can't see the receivers getting open. Literally.

Not buying it. Your not a great coach and suddenly your bad. Things have gone poorly, it’s been one of those years for Dino. I will see how he pulls through the last 6 games before I hurl rocks

We need a qb that can see over tall lineman. Tommy is 6'0 without shoes. Might be why he can't see the receivers getting open. Literally.
Maybe. But Russel Wilson is 5’11 officially and his smallest OL is his LG at 6,4. Maybe occasionally a big guy blocks him but I don’t think it’s all the time

Clawson has done a great job with Wake Forest. In the past 70 years, they have ended the year ranked twice, 17 and 25. He is on pace to win 7 or more games this year for the 4th year in a row which has never been done at Wake Forest before. Winning 7 or more 3 years in a row has happened twice, one by Clawson.

As for recruiting, yes, there are more recruits in North Carolina than NY, but there are 4 P5 programs in NC. Let's compare the region to NC for 2020 recruits:

NY, CT, MA, PA, NJ
5 P5 schools
1 5*
18 4*s
123 3*s

NC
4 P5 schools
1 5*
11 4*s
81 3*s

Right now, Syracuse has 4 3* recruits from NY, CT, MA, PA, and NJ. In my opinion, for Syracuse to compete year in and year out, the number of regional recruits needs to increase. Unfortunately, Babers staff does not have strong ties to the region, but I think he can increase the number of regional recruits if he can continue to win.

All good points. I would agree 100%. Though it should be noted the 2nd or 1st most winning-est coach in Wake history was the guy Clawson replaced and had the team in the Orange bowl 7 years prior with a nice little 3 year run (11-3, 9-4, 8-5) 5 years before Clawson took over. Wake wasn't at Gregorian levels when Clawson took over. More like Marrone/Shafer level. Clawson has been decent, not great.

Re recruiting, I think the payoff is better with southern kids because they're better football players, as they play basically year round. Kids ultimately want to be near home. It's hard for us to recruits purely from a numbers standpoint.

Still thinking the game’s not slowed down for Devito yet.

agree and when you are running for your life every single pass play, that sure as hell won't help things to slow down for him. I think TD is going to be a good one, IF we can fix this garbage OL. We can't expect him to have the fiery/balls to the walls attitude of Dungey, that kid was a one in a lifetime player from that perspective. he is who he is, I think he will do well as he figures things out and if we can get him help on the line and with improved play calling. Lynch isn't Sean Lewis, that is for sure.

Looked to me like Tommy was wearing a flak jacket. If so, maybe sore ribs had a lot to do with his reluctance to take a hit or run...Then again, maybe it was just the view I had.

Looked to me like Tommy was wearing a flak jacket. If so, maybe sore ribs had a lot to do with his reluctance to take a hit or run...Then again, maybe it was just the view I had.

Let's be honest. This is a 6-7 year rebuild. It's not just the performance, the fan experience inside the dome isn't yet ready to win over fair weather fans. As a fanbase, given what we have been through it's hard pill to swallow to realize maybe last year was really about Dungey being an absolute beast with some senior leadership at key spots that generated an awesome year results wise.

In reality, we just have so many things still needing work. Recruiting isn't there yet. Hyped recruits sometimes don't cut it. Hopefully Tommy develops to shine bright. If he doesn't , and we flail it shows the work to be done to build a program with depth. Wake is now a program who has accomplished this in about 5-6 years. When Dino talks depth this is a big part of what he means.

We have taken the right steps to try and build foundational consistency through putting money into the program, redesigning the dome and fan experience and the university as a whole. I'm afraid the field product is going to take more time whether it is Dino that gets us there or not. I'm not quitting on this program because we are aggressively moving a lot of things in the right direction. Beyond the the items mentioned above, it's clear that holding staff accountable is a must on Dino's part. Players may not all be willing to hang on for the ride and you live with that. We will turn this thing around and break the "You can't win in Syracuse " myth. It just isn't going to be easy and will take more than we thought.

I think my hope for this year is that development isn’t linear for most programs. Three star players are not ready for college ball until years 2 & 3 according to some here. That makes sense. So it takes a while to load up and build depth, especially since not all rrcruits pan out due to injury etc

Agree but I think it’s because of what he sees in the locker room: selfish and ticked off players who don’t play together and that is very hard to fix. Locker room cancer kills teams and coaches
If that's the case and I sure hope it isn't, these are his recruits.

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.

That’s the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read on this board.

Clawson has done a great job with Wake Forest. In the past 70 years, they have ended the year ranked twice, 17 and 25. He is on pace to win 7 or more games this year for the 4th year in a row which has never been done at Wake Forest before. Winning 7 or more 3 years in a row has happened twice, one by Clawson.

As for recruiting, yes, there are more recruits in North Carolina than NY, but there are 4 P5 programs in NC. Let's compare the region to NC for 2020 recruits:

NY, CT, MA, PA, NJ
5 P5 schools
1 5*
18 4*s
123 3*s

NC
4 P5 schools
1 5*
11 4*s
81 3*s

Right now, Syracuse has 4 3* recruits from NY, CT, MA, PA, and NJ. In my opinion, for Syracuse to compete year in and year out, the number of regional recruits needs to increase. Unfortunately, Babers staff does not have strong ties to the region, but I think he can increase the number of regional recruits if he can continue to win.

what makes a 3* from CT better than a 3* from FL?

He is being paid big bucks. Now he needs to show he is worth it. (Yes, nobody cares that last year he was 10 - 3)

Were you at the WMU or Holy Cross games?

I was, the attendance and crowd noise was fantastic at HC considering all the variables. Years ago the stadium would have been empty. It was a really good crowd and they were in to the game.

he threw for 300 yds, 74% completion percentage - he’s not perfect, but that’s pretty good.

last year Eric missed a ton of open WRs too

just needs to continue to grow into the role

He is being paid big bucks. Now he needs to show he is worth it. (Yes, nobody cares that last year he was 10 - 3)

lol. Yeah, 10-3. Nobody cares. Pure crazy sauce.

His resume here, is very good. He lost a game by 6 points on the road.

Slow. Down.

We may have a tough season this year and end up being pretty good next year. So is the ebb and flow of CFB or sports in general. Years (how things have gone so far at least) like this suck but for a majority of programs there are times of inconsistency. What we’ll see next year is really where we are at and headed under DB (assuming there’s no drastic turn around this year). I’m okay with a 6-8 year rebuild if he’s sticking around and we’re headed in the right direction with some hiccup years. It sucks but it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom