Dino’s star took a major hit tonight | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino’s star took a major hit tonight

and I'd bet that lack of aggression is because he lacks the confidence in this team to get it done. You need to trust your guys if you want to be aggressive. We can't even get a yard when we need one.

Then that is on him also right? I mean these are all "his" guys now. And he is the one coaching them up right?

Why is surplus AD money going to pay for egghead professors to tour Tuscany when our locker room is on par with many high schools? Use ACC money on new dorms, facilities, freakin' bowling alleys to increase the appeal factor. Even the renaissance of the Dome doesn't go far enough to insure another good decade of football...

Twenty 50k bags for a 4 star average recruiting class would go a lot farther than a 4 lane bowling alley.

Just saying

Yeah because Syracuse fans would be doing cartwheels over 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 going into year 6. He never would've made it to year 6 here.

We're 3-3 right now which is on par with his best years and look around.

By the end of next year, we’d be happy with any winning season.. Just wait.

Guys we didn't lose all 22 starters from last year's 10-3 team. We're not as bad as we look on offense. As much as I'm numb to these results, I'm telling myself we're one solid QB away from another 8-9 win season. We just need a QB that can function with mediocre line play because we're NEVER going to have a Wisconsin line. It's just not happening. Dungey's last year was our best line in years and we still had to rely on his legs every other down and in short yardage.

Hoping we can scour the portal this year with better success. Dino seemed to recruit better when he had more PT opportunities to sell? Tommy just seems like the wrong fit for this personnel. He'd be a great backup because in those situations you don't have to get too creative and they don't scout for your weaknesses.

People underestimate the surprise, unknown factor that Devito brought last year. Now defenses know how to gameplan him. If he can't overcome his weaknesses, it's time to look for someone else to do this job. It's incredible to me that our backup is a walkon and the third string a former TE. That should never be the case.

Why is surplus AD money going to pay for egghead professors to tour Tuscany when our locker room is on par with many high schools? Use ACC money on new dorms, facilities, freakin' bowling alleys to increase the appeal factor. Even the renaissance of the Dome doesn't go far enough to insure another good decade of football...

Because a university is about education. The moment the football program becomes the primary mission of the university like in most SEC schools is the moment I stop following SU.

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.

Upgrading facilities can help recruiting too right?

I'm writing this season off which sucks but for a plethora of reasons, I just don't see the ship being righted this year. Take your pain but do three things:

-get rid of Cavanaugh and Lynch;
-find yourself a QB or even two in the transfer portal; and
-figure out why we're having so many injuries and change it up (training, diet, going too hard in practice, whatever)

Without a competent OL and QB, Dino's entire model falls apart even if we have a half way decent defense.
I fear attendance for the remaining games is going to take a big hit and you're going to lose some of the newer season ticket holders next year but it is what it is. We need less la familia and more USMC IMHO.

Last edited:
The horrifying thing about this team is the effort and discipline at times just isn’t there. It’s almost as if Babers is losing this team. Obviously we don’t see what goes on in practice, but the lack of reps for other linemen and defensive backs in these games when the performances by vetterello, Alexander, foster, and Cordy are atrocious can’t be motivating for guys on the sideline or enticing to recruits.

I get you want to give your assistants exposure, but Dino’s decision to let his assistants speak to the media before the season began, along with the La Familia series, presented distractions that weren’t present the past few seasons. Yeah, radio appearances and a web series seem minuscule in the grand scheme of things, but with the practice schedules limited and the assistants having to juggle game planning, practices, and recruiting, even the smallest of distractions can hinder performance at the P5 level.

Totally agree. I’m so tired of the “Dino needs to see more fan support “ argument when we see performances like last night. The diehards like us are always going to show up no matter what. But when we start to build some momentum in the fan base and then these dismal displays occur, there goes the fringe fan.Its year four. Come on

yes belief without evidence is out the door...this is year 4...there’s evidence now and the evidence this season is scary...

You all didn't come during the Marrone years when he had turned around the ship.

I've had season tix for years. Missed probably 10 home games since 2006.

I'm writing this season off which sucks but for a plethora of reasons, I just don't see the ship being righted this year. Take your pain but do three things:

-get rid of Callahan and Lynch;
-find yourself a QB or even two in the transfer portal; and
-figure out why we're having so many injuries and change it up (training, diet, going too hard in practice, whatever)

Without a competent OL and QB, Dino's entire model falls apart even if we have a half way decent defense.
I fear attendance for the remaining games is going to take a big hit and you're going to lose some of the newer season ticket holders next year but it is what it is. We need less la familia and more USMC IMHO.

im pretty sure SU knew they were going to take a hit next season with season ticket holders...no real big games at home, most bought seasons for clemson this season

Because a university is about education. The moment the football program becomes the primary mission of the university like in most SEC schools is the moment I stop following SU.
Tuition to Education
Athletic monies to Athletics

Tuition to Education
Athletic monies to Athletics

That's happening by all accounts. You're talking about the Ken Shaw/Crouthamel era of 20-plus years ago.

That's happening by all accounts. You're talking about the Ken Shaw/Crouthamel era of 20-plus years ago.
No. A lot of ACC revenue went into general University funds. This, while our locker rooms wouldn't be impressive for Texas high schools. How much of a drop in the bucket would it cost to put in jaw dropping locker rooms?!

Agreed. I mean these so-called eggheads ever hear of Piedmont?

Dino will be gone in a few years anyways.

He's hit the same roadblock that every other SU coach runs into.

You can't get better unless you get better players.

Better players won't play at schools with half empty stadiums.

Dino does a great job of getting these kids to visit campus. But when they see 20,000 vacant seats, they turn around and go home without committing.

It is what it is. It is what it always will be.

That was bleak.

Alabama football brought in hundreds of millions that was dispersed around the university to its benefit in addition to thousands of new applicants. Athletics is a marketing tool whether you like it or not. If you don't donate, SU Athletics isn't missing your dollars.

I'm not sure what it is but Dino hasn't been "Dino" this entire year. I don't know if he has one foot out the door or something personal is going on but he just seems like a different person from the first three years. The excuses "we didn't have tape" that we never heard his first three years, the aloof press conference, the angry PC, lack of getting angry on the sidelines, little to no in game adjustments, bizarre play calling etc etc etc. Something appears to be way way off.
I totally agree with this...

I’m pretty sure Illoa is also a OL commit even though on TOS he is a DT
Im not sure about that, but if so that’s slightly terrifying considering we lose Black and Ruff.

Have you ever looked at how much talent resides in North Carolina ? 33 - three star kids and 11 - 4 star kids this year alone.

On the flip side Clawson hasn't done anything special. He's been at Wake 5 years and his record is 28-35 or 44%. If Dino won last night he'd have been at .500. Clawson is 3-9, 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and now 5-0 against a really weak schedule to date. Whoopdedoo.
Clawson has done a great job with Wake Forest. In the past 70 years, they have ended the year ranked twice, 17 and 25. He is on pace to win 7 or more games this year for the 4th year in a row which has never been done at Wake Forest before. Winning 7 or more 3 years in a row has happened twice, one by Clawson.

As for recruiting, yes, there are more recruits in North Carolina than NY, but there are 4 P5 programs in NC. Let's compare the region to NC for 2020 recruits:

NY, CT, MA, PA, NJ
5 P5 schools
1 5*
18 4*s
123 3*s

NC
4 P5 schools
1 5*
11 4*s
81 3*s

Right now, Syracuse has 4 3* recruits from NY, CT, MA, PA, and NJ. In my opinion, for Syracuse to compete year in and year out, the number of regional recruits needs to increase. Unfortunately, Babers staff does not have strong ties to the region, but I think he can increase the number of regional recruits if he can continue to win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom