Dino Babers and Tommy DeVito will lead us back to the Top 25 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers and Tommy DeVito will lead us back to the Top 25

So was Ohio State.

I get it, DeVito is the hand picked guy for this new coaching staff. I don't care who starts--whether one of these two or the next guy they recruit. I just want sustained quality QB play, which we haven't had post-McNabb.

May the best player win.

Competition breeds excellence.

In Mahoney we trust.

I may be wrong here (and hope they are both great) - but it seemed Rex got his big offers early and the kind of fell in our laps. While Tommy blew up and the big offers came late.

Very different, I think.

(I hope they are both incredible. Not rooting for one over the other, disclaimer, disclaimer)

That's probably just more of rooting on a guy he likes as opposed to an informed judgment of how his skill compares to our current other QBs.

Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, not having him redshirt would be extremely foolish.

If Dungey can't stay healthy, which is likely its very possible.

I may be wrong here (and hope they are both great) - but it seemed Rex got his big offers early and the kind of fell in our laps. While Tommy blew up and the big offers came late.

Very different, I think.

(I hope they are both incredible. Not rooting for one over the other, disclaimer, disclaimer)

Rex's knee injury had a big impact on that...

QB is the most important position in football. The best team we have had since McNabb was the '12 team with Nassib playing at a high level. Dungey was on pace for a good year but his defense was 'all-time' bad.

We have lacked any consistency in QB recruiting. In the past 15 years we have fallen into two 'diamonds in the rough' starters, similar to how a MAC team could. That is a leading factor to the decline of this program.

For the next 4-5 years we will more than likely have one of Dungey, Rex, or Devito as our starter. In 2018 we will have three guys who may be capable of starting in many ACC programs. That is a welcome change and the definition of safety in numbers.

I believe in Dino. I love this program. I love the Holy Triumvirate (as I call them).

I think I have mentioned this before, a friend of mine is a hs coach in Nj, knows Devito pretty well, said he would be our starter next year.
Over ED. No way

Over ED. No way

Agree 100%, Eric is the starter and I think Rex will be #2. I love Devito wants to come in and compete but Rex will have a year and a half on him in this system. Let's put it this way if Devito is starting as a true freshman it means Eric is hurt again and Rex isn't panning out. I think Rex can play and I just don't like freshman quarterbacks on teams trying to make a bowl game

We always fall in love with the new QB but I think this time we already have a couple good ones on the team.

Very cool, but he hasn't met ED yet;)

If he starts a single game then we are in BIG trouble. I'd expect him to be the #4 all year long.

So the most talented Qb on the roster will be 4th string ? USC ,Alabama etc all started freshman Qb's ! I'm not saying to start him but he should get every chance to compete for the job . Every Qb has put up numbers babers has ever had even Mahoney .Dungey had been good but doesn't posses TDs upside let the best performer play period .

So the most talented Qb on the roster will be 4th string ? USC ,Alabama etc all started freshman Qb's ! I'm not saying to start him but he should get every chance to compete for the job . Every Qb has put up numbers babers has ever had even Mahoney .Dungey had been good but doesn't posses TDs upside let the best performer play period .

Can you translate that post? Btw, bama can't recruit a qb. Hurts is a lb playing qb. By far, we have better qbs than bama. I wouldn't take hurts over our top 3.

Translation is let the best player play . Can't go by numbers Qb's put up in a system ,especially Babers system it's plug and play . Erase there names and let the cream rise to the top

I think ED starts next year without a doubt but if he gets injured, again, all bets are off as far as who comes in and plays. So TD leapfrogging Rex isn't beyond the realm of possibility if say ED gets hurt midseason again. I think not being able to enroll early really hurt TD in regards to learning the plays/system. You have to have that down first before you can be successful.

For the most part, it's all about reps.

I've said it before but I hope Tommy D is the starter. That means he's really good.

My pipe dream is some reality that ends up being some resemblance of the following:

ED = Graves (so far so good minus injuries)

Rex = Mason

Devito = McNabb

I don't know if it's just me,but doesn't DeVito look s like the boy with the cool shoes in the Time Warner internet speed commercial.

I have had ED as my avatar for some time now so that should give you a clue as to how highly I rate him. I expect him to start, but I don't know if he will finish. He just has it in his blood to take risks he shouldn't. That is the competitor in him that we love and the cause of the angst we all feel when he takes off and is late sliding. I hope he has matured a little and can finish the season healthy.

All of that said, TD is going to push him and push him hard. I think it will make ED better. Rex is a wildcard because of his injury. I also think he is in the unfortunate position many talented players find themselves in at this level - good, but not good enough to beat out the guy ahead of them on the depth chart.

My hope is that ED starts, Rex and Officer battle it our for second and TD redshirts. What a great competition that make for in 2018! When have we had this kind of depth of talent at QB?

I think our schedule is going to make it dodgy getting to 6 wins. 2018 is a different deal. The schedule will only be marginally easier, but this is our best chance to go bowling.

2019, Dino's fourth season, is the year we get back to the Top 25 under the leadership of sophomore TD and receivers TBA.

QB is the most important position in football. The best team we have had since McNabb was the '12 team with Nassib playing at a high level. Dungey was on pace for a good year but his defense was 'all-time' bad.

We have lacked any consistency in QB recruiting. In the past 15 years we have fallen into two 'diamonds in the rough' starters, similar to how a MAC team could. That is a leading factor to the decline of this program.

For the next 4-5 years we will more than likely have one of Dungey, Rex, or Devito as our starter. In 2018 we will have three guys who may be capable of starting in many ACC programs. That is a welcome change and the definition of safety in numbers.

I believe in Dino. I love this program. I love the Holy Triumvirate (as I call them).

Just a bit of a correction but SU's best post McNabb team was 2001 with the 2 headed monster of Anderson and Nunes. That being said, the rest of your post is valid.

Just a bit of a correction but SU's best post McNabb team was 2001 with the 2 headed monster of Anderson and Nunes. That being said, the rest of your post is valid.

You are correct. 2001 was the best post-McNabb team, but I would say '12 had the better offense and I love Nunes.

2001 had the better record, but, I'd put a paycheck on '12 for the win.

'01 had a very strong D led by Freeney and Clifton Smith, an excellent collegiate. The secondary was really rock solid across the board.

Nunes & RJ, mediocre at absolute best... Nassib was making an argument in some circles as one of the best in the country by the end of the season in '12. '01 was more talented as a whole, but '12 was a more dangerous team IMO, particularly bc the offense could go off...

Mungro was one of my all-time favorites, he's still local too with a SB ring to boot. Mungro > PTG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom