Dino Babers thread... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers thread...

Mizzou is rumored to be talking to Sonny Dykes who is not going to reup with Cal.

Yep, they're also talking with the Utah St. head coach. I'll bet it's Dykes at the end of it all.

I wrote it in jest, but we really should get guys like Little to help recruit him. How about a recruiting video with Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Mcnabb, Art Monk, Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones telling Babers we want you, we need you. I guarantee Eric White could put together something like this.

Floyd is involved in the search for a new HC in some unnamed capacity so there's a start.

leftytg said:
and charlie strong and his biracial marriage were welcomes at UT no questions asked. I know that for a fact. The South isn't all full of seething racists and the North isn't full of white knights. I've lived in both places. To toss out unnuanced blanket assumptions about an entire region is ignorant.

You should probably reread what I've written. I'm not saying there aren't racists everywhere. I'm saying Syracuse would welcome them.

(Also - your example of Texas, not without issue: http://www.dailytexanonline.com/opi...rong-show-racial-tension-is-alive-and-well-at)

And I really don't want to get into racial stuff too much. I understand the nuances of the situation fine, they just take too long to work through on a football forum. Let's just say I have experience dealing with race issues professionally.

Crusty said:
The reports are $1.2 and $1.8 - $2.0 and we do not yet know which is true. Each camp is spinning its side of the story and the truth probably lies somewhere in between. One is probably quoting starting base and the other quoting average over the 5 years or with incentives. In any event both will not get us anywhere near the conference staff average. Comparing our last place budget to itself is meaningless without context. When we are done, we will still be in or near last place in the conference. If you are operating at half of the conference average, moving up to 60% keeps you in the cellar. Two of our last three hires were when we were in the Big East and Shafer was the lowest paid head coach in the ACC. Our ACC competition is raising the bar and we are still shopping in the $1.2 - $1.8 million range. And that was our first choice. If we cannot match a lowly Iowa State for example, we will always have a staff on training wheels. The game is passing us by in salaries just as it did in facilities last decade.

I don't think any of that addressed my point. Which is you can hang these guys in what happened in the past. And we just offered a first timer significantly more than the last 3 first timers.

If we can make a deal with Dino Babers and name him as our next HC that is a slam dunk! I love his communication skills, ability to recruit and his coaching resume. Plus, he looks great in Orange!

Dino Babers 635519956274910283-USP-NCAA-Football-Indiana-at-Bowling-Green.jpg

I don't think any of that addressed my point. Which is you can hang these guys in what happened in the past. And we just offered a first timer significantly more than the last 3 first timers.

And I think you are wrong. All of it addressed your point that, based on the Frost offer, that they were being competitive.
You brought up the last three hires as a reference points, not me. That first time hire passed on your "significantly more" offer. I suspect he could care less what others were offered in the past. (Maybe we should stop going after first timers.)

The issue is whether or not the admin is willing to pay the going rate - for whomever. So far, they are 0-1. Spin it however you want, but they just got outbid. That is the marketplace telling you need to re-calibrate. We are not a program that gets everything it wants.

Hopefully, they will take a different tack with the next guy and land him. If they do I will applaud them for a job well done. We'll see soon enough.

Crusty said:
And I think you are wrong. All of it addressed your point that, based on the Frost offer, that they were being competitive. You brought up the last three hires as a reference points, not me. That first time hire passed on your "significantly more" offer. I suspect he could care less what others were offered in the past. (Maybe we should stop going after first timers.) The issue is whether or not the admin is willing to pay the going rate - for whomever. So far, they are 0-1. Spin it however you want, but they just got outbid. That is the marketplace telling you need to re-calibrate. We are not a program that gets everything it wants. Hopefully, they will take a different tack with the next guy and land him. If they do I will applaud them for a job well done. We'll see soon enough.
I'm not sure I follow how you know we were outbid from a monetary perspective. It appears that Frost got a great deal esp on the buyout.

I'm not sure I follow how you know we were outbid from a monetary perspective. It appears that Frost got a great deal esp on the buyout.
I did not necessarily say monetary. As you know, these deals have many aspects all of which are part of the value. The market for Frost was what it traded for and not what we were willing to accept.

However, it is also possible we were outbid in money as well. The UCF offer was $2 million ; he elected to take $300,000 less to pay for staff ($2.3 million budget). I don't know, but that could be more than we offered for staff.

Please explain, because right now TAMU and UT have black coaches, Virginia had one for 6 years and Miami even had one. I'm trying to recall the last time a school north of the Mason Dixon line had a black head coach. Plenty of diversity here in the South.
Think Auburn... the discussion at the time was that neither Turner Gill nor Charlie Strong had a real chance of being hired simply due to their home situations.

Don't believe me if that's what you want to do... and, yes, I too live in the South.

Here's an article for your reference:
http://deadspin.com/5110639/was-turner-gill-denied-the-auburn-job-because-of-his-white-wife

I did not necessarily say monetary. As you know, these deals have many aspects all of which are part of the value. The market for Frost was what it traded for and not what we were willing to accept.

However, it is also possible we were outbid in money as well. The UCF offer was $2 million ; he elected to take $300,000 less to pay for staff ($2.3 million budget). I don't know, but that could be more than we offered for staff.

I think the overall numbers being thrown around is giving you the market we are playing in. 4-4.5 mil

Crusty said:
And I think you are wrong. All of it addressed your point that, based on the Frost offer, that they were being competitive. You brought up the last three hires as a reference points, not me. That first time hire passed on your "significantly more" offer. I suspect he could care less what others were offered in the past. (Maybe we should stop going after first timers.) The issue is whether or not the admin is willing to pay the going rate - for whomever. So far, they are 0-1. Spin it however you want, but they just got outbid. That is the marketplace telling you need to re-calibrate. We are not a program that gets everything it wants. Hopefully, they will take a different tack with the next guy and land him. If they do I will applaud them for a job well done. We'll see soon enough.

Outbid? UCF made a deal with significant risk starting next November. We could have had him for that same risk. But passed.

Money was roughly equal.

Outbid? UCF made a deal with significant risk starting next November. We could have had him for that same risk. But passed.

Money was roughly equal.
Geez, terms are part of the marketplace. Risk and return is what it is all about and we are far too risk averse - how is that working for us?

Crusty said:
Geez, terms are part of the marketplace. Risk and return is what it is all about and we are far too risk averse - how is that working for us?

Agreed. But it's Coyle's job to balance risk/reward and being in this same spot a year from now was deemed too risky. I agree with that assessment.

The thing I love about Barbers other than the fact that he wins is his recruiting. He recruits Florida HARD. He recruits Ohio and Pennslyvania very well! He even recruits Illinois a little bit. Those connections are what will make him successful here. The only thing he is missing are the connections with New Jersey, if he just hired an assistant, cough, cough Acosta we will literally have all our recruiting grounds that made us successful back in the day open again.

So you actually want him to lock into a deal that doesnt protect agains this happening in say 2-3 years again. Sorry. I am just not even sure how you can say that. Would you do that in your own business?

So you actually want him to lock into a deal that doesnt protect agains this happening in say 2-3 years again. Sorry. I am just not even sure how you can say that. Would you do that in your own business?
In a business where your professionalsite are commodities I sure would for certain guys. Wall street deals with this problem every day. If we had hired Frost 2 years ago under that deal we would have been better off. It would also be easier to reload as well. He may even fave had an OC ready to step up. Much too much is made of this considering our position.

Crusty said:
In a business where your professionalsite are commodities I sure would for certain guys. Wall street deals with this problem every day. If we had hired Frost 2 years ago under that deal we would have been better off. It would also be easier to reload as well. He may even fave had an OC ready to step up. Much too much is made of this considering our position.

How about 1 year?

Looks like Maryland may be off the board in terms of competition for Babers. Lots of folks saying that DJ Durkin was just hired by the Terps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom