Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say?

If DeVito plays against NC State do you think we win that game?
I do.
For sure. We didn’t have the talent at the skill positions or the OL to make up for bad QB play.

Yeah, they improved. That's why our best-graded OL was Rhino who hasn't played the position since 6th grade. Open your eyes.
Where have I said OL play can’t be better?
I don’t think we had turnstiles on the OL the entire season. I don’t think we had Texas A&M or Notre Dame’s OLs I just said QB was going to be more important next year.
QBs have to be able to step up in the pocket and help their OLs as all OLs will have breakdowns.

1. Dino needs to prep both his starting AND back up QB to play the whole play book and make plays. None of this nonsense when our starting QB gets injured. He has to find a way
2. The offense clicks better when the QB finds the person who is open, rather than wait for a receiver to get 25 yards downfield ...ahem ...cough, cough Devito
3. The offensive line will look better when the QB makes quicker reads, rather than looking for the ideal read ...cough, cough, Devito
4. More pass plays completed means a better run game, and less wear and tear on offensive line. Give the line a chance to block rather than give them a chance lose their block
5. Offensive coaches need to teach their QB's how to throw the ball out of bounds when the play breaks down.
6. I'm not sold on Morgan yet. He has great ability but looked so lost ...but I attribute that to lack of QB development

1. Dino needs to prep both his starting AND back up QB to play the whole play book and make plays. None of this nonsense when our starting QB gets injured. He has to find a way
2. The offense clicks better when the QB finds the person who is open, rather than wait for a receiver to get 25 yards downfield ...ahem ...cough, cough Devito
3. The offensive line will look better when the QB makes quicker reads, rather than looking for the ideal read ...cough, cough, Devito
4. More pass plays completed means a better run game, and less wear and tear on offensive line. Give the line a chance to block rather than give them a chance lose their block
5. Offensive coaches need to teach their QB's how to throw the ball out of bounds when the play breaks down.
6. I'm not sold on Morgan yet. He has great ability but looked so lost ...but I attribute that to lack of QB development

You are absolutely right that Devito needs a lot of coaching up. Also, there is no reason to not expect Lamson to be a backup. There are plenty of true frosh QBs who are totally serviceable as long as the expectation is that they may have to play.

He just went 1-10. He is 3-15 in the ACC the past 2 years. Who would not speculate about his job status?
I'm taking publicly. I don't recall hearing many HC's publicly bringing that up unprompted.

Probably plenty, but meanwhile, from free syracuse.com article:

“I’m fighting. I am scratching. I am clawing every day to make sure that I am around to coach these guys when they get to be juniors and seniors,” Babers told Matt Park, Syracuse University’s in-house radio voice on Wednesday.

“They really should be outstanding. We’ve got guys at every position. We’re going to have a lot of depth. Based off the numbers, it should be something we’ll be really proud of in two or three years."

Babers was talking about his job status at a time the mere suggestion of hot seats and coaching changes sends rival schools into recruits’ DMs like vultures, hoping to pick off one or two of them. The highest-rated recruit in SU’s class said LSU, Ohio State and others recently dropped in on him, just to check: Are you sure about this?

Obviously, he hears the voices. He feels the urgency and he's dealing with it. The article goes on to say he even relishes the challenge: “That’s why I love my job, that it is limited time and everyone can’t do it."

He's our coach. The fortunes of SU Football are in the laps of the God's and the hands of HCDB.

This is what I've been saying about the roster in a couple of posts.

We know that he gets it, he is a great person, and someone I greatly respect, the problem is his record just isn't good enough.

This is what I've been saying about the roster in a couple of posts.
Agreed. There is absolutely no doubt that Dino has upgraded depth and ability at almost every position. This is as fit and as talented as any Syracuse team has looked from top to bottom that I think I we have had since before 2000. And we are big and got bigger on the offensive line with this class.

I don't think Babers can make it any more clear he wants to be here. He said it here and has also stated before he wants to be here to enjoy the new dome

Which is why it wouldn’t make sense to go into next year with DeVito/Morgan/Lamson as the QB depth.

It just amazes me people don’t get we need more QB depth. DeVito has a nice arm but I am not going all-in with him as the starter next year.
Morgan needs time to develop and looks like a guy down the road.
Lamson wouldn’t be ready.
We got to find a transfer QB.
Have too.
DeVito isn’t an all conference returning QB. QB is going to determine the offense next year and Dino’s job.

The staff might very well agree and who says they're not looking for a transfer QB. Best scenario, imo, is what Chip suggests. Go find a (for example) a So or Jr who can come in, compete for the job and if he loses he's the guy for the next year or 2.

Which is why it wouldn’t make sense to go into next year with DeVito/Morgan/Lamson as the QB depth.

It just amazes me people don’t get we need more QB depth. DeVito has a nice arm but I am not going all-in with him as the starter next year.
Have too.
DeVito isn’t an all conference returning QB. QB is going to determine the offense next year and Dino’s job.
This is the same quarterback that several were screaming a few years ago to start over Dungey.

They're trying to lure the Shrader kid from Miss St, I would also guess they'll reach out to Spann if he decides to transfer. Need a guy who is fine with maybe being the backup next year and then start the season or two afterwards. But there might not be a lot of guys who transfer and want to sit the bench for another season

Who was our highest rated recruit?
Cruz?

Dino just needs to be .500 that isn’t a lot to ask.
That is not a very high bar to set. What does .500 get you? 3-5 in ACC? When you set bar that low and that is a low bar...you get generally poor results whether business or sports. Have to demand better. Only way to improve. Only way to succeed.

If DeVito plays against NC State do you think we win that game?
I do.

Does we? Rex was serviceable that game until the end. Do our coaches call the same game with Tommy? Does NC State play the same way on D? Does Tommy only get sacked twice that game which would be his best sack to pass ratio of his career?

Yeah, they improved. That's why our best-graded OL was Rhino who hasn't played the position since 6th grade. Open your eyes.

What is easier to "fix" finding a serviceable dual threat transfer QB or getting our current 5 man OL to be above average?

The OL has not been good any of Dino's 5 years here. Given what we have returning why should we expect different next year? Sure we should expect better than 2020 which was better than 2019. But can we expect a 2018 level OL next year (which is still below average)? And will that be good enough for Tommy to be above average?

That is not a very high bar to set. What does .500 get you? 3-5 in ACC? When you set bar that low and that is a low bar...you get generally poor results whether business or sports. Have to demand better. Only way to improve. Only way to succeed.
Let me ask you what are your expectations of the Program whether Dino coaches Or not coming off of a 1-10 season. Should we be 6-6, 8-4 every year. Should we expect to be 10-2? Im really curious to what your expectations are. There are many on this board who think this program should be elite every year. I mean that would be lovey but it’s not realistic.

I was agreeing with you that we need a transfer QB. I was just saying that another true freshman in the recruiting class wasn't the answer. And a grad transfer could be, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to take us up on that.

Need to find a transfer with 2-3 years eligibility left.
Shrader or Deuce.

Have too.

we will be finding out shortly if our depth will be increasing.

The OL has not been good any of Dino's 5 years here. Given what we have returning why should we expect different next year? Sure we should expect better than 2020 which was better than 2019. But can we expect a 2018 level OL next year (which is still below average)? And will that be good enough for Tommy to be above average?

Here is GoSU96's chart from his excellent post/research that can be found here:

1606916845225.png

Let me ask you what are your expectations of the Program whether Dino coaches Or not coming off of a 1-10 season. Should we be 6-6, 8-4 every year. Should we expect to be 10-2? Im really curious to what your expectations are. There are many on this board who think this program should be elite every year. I mean that would be lovey but it’s not realistic.

Well, since many here believe that our 1-10 record had much more to do with external factors such as COVID, opt outs, injuries and the like, the 1-10 record shouldn't have any bearing relative to next season. In that regard, getting to 6-6 or 8-4 should be quite attainable, especially playing in a conference that has the bulk of its teams hovering in the mediocre range. There may be a few/several on this board who think this program should be elite every year, but it's not where the vast majority align with in my opinion, but rather 6-6/8-4 pre-bowl result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom