Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say?

The staff might very well agree and who says they're not looking for a transfer QB. Best scenario, imo, is what Chip suggests. Go find a (for example) a So or Jr who can come in, compete for the job and if he loses he's the guy for the next year or 2.
I'd be very surprised if they're not looking for a transfer QB. The question is who will they land.

That is not a very high bar to set. What does .500 get you? 3-5 in ACC? When you set bar that low and that is a low bar...you get generally poor results whether business or sports. Have to demand better. Only way to improve. Only way to succeed.
Consistent 6-6 IS demanding better for a program that has had 5 non-losing seasons since I graduated from HS.

It's been 5 years.

This is so tiring. It has been 5 years. 1 of which was one of the best seasons we've had in 40 years. The other two we were building and knocked off ranked teams (which SS or Robinson didn't do). This past season has so many asterisks it's an anomaly for our entire history.

People act like it's clear and it's most definitely complicated. It's ok to say "he's had some up and downs" and "he's made some mistakes" and "he beat Clemson and had a 10 win season" in the same breath.

If you judge this job strictly by W/L record you'll be wrong and if you were AD you'd be awful at your job.

This is so tiring. It has been 5 years. 1 of which was one of the best seasons we've had in 40 years. The other two we were building and knocked off ranked teams (which SS or Robinson didn't do). This past season has so many asterisks it's an anomaly for our entire history.

People act like it's clear and it's most definitely complicated. It's ok to say "he's had some up and downs" and "he's made some mistakes" and "he beat Clemson and had a 10 win season" in the same breath.

If you judge this job strictly by W/L record you'll be wrong and if you were AD you'd be awful at your job.
He has done some really good things, he also has a 10 loss season to his record. No one is advocating him being fired this year, we are giving him another year, 1 Bowl game in 5 seasons at most schools isn't good enough.

He has done some really good things, he also has a 10 loss season to his record. No one is advocating him being fired this year, we are giving him another year, 1 Bowl game in 5 seasons at most schools isn't good enough.

I think bowls are actually a bad metric for assessing how good a team is too. 6 wins is just another way of judging W/L. For example - under Dino, the second best team was the 2017 team that beat Clemson - (SRS of 1.96). Marrone's 2nd year team had a SRS of 1.31 and played in the Pinstripe Bowl. They just played an epically weak schedule (2 FCS teams, 1 ranked team, etc).

That said, I think we need to get back to making bowls consistently. Scheduling smarter will help A LOT.

I think bowls are actually a bad metric for assessing how good a team is too. 6 wins is just another way of judging W/L. For example - under Dino, the second best team was the 2017 team that beat Clemson - (SRS of 1.96). Marrone's 2nd year team had a SRS of 1.31 and played in the Pinstripe Bowl. They just played an epically weak schedule (2 FCS teams, 1 ranked team, etc).

That said, I think we need to get back to making bowls consistently. Scheduling smarter will help A LOT.
This year it is, you might see 3-7 teams in bowl games. I think overall it is a pretty good measuring stick. Lets look at S. Carolina an sec school, but a program that hasn't had a whole lot of success. They fired Muschamp after 5 years with a similar resume to Dino. Muschamp had a 9 win season, Dino had a 10 win season. Muschamp also had a 7 win season, Dino went 5-7, both had losing seasons the other 3 years.

www.coachPmustgo.com

Sack Mac

These rallying cries yielded...fan delusion. Dino has a challenge on his hands and the school is smart enough to let him dig out of it. I like the idea of having a long term coach who will have a body of work. I think Dino is the right guy so i'm confident we find ourselves back in a bowl game next year.

www.coachPmustgo.com

Sack Mac

These rallying cries yielded...fan delusion. Dino has a challenge on his hands and the school is smart enough to let him dig out of it. I like the idea of having a long term coach who will have a body of work. I think Dino is the right guy so i'm confident we find ourselves back in a bowl game next year.

Ouch

Like I said all those years ago, what if it gets worse?

And it did.

And we are still paying for it.

Doesn't mean those guys aren't a great hang

This year it is, you might see 3-7 teams in bowl games. I think overall it is a pretty good measuring stick. Lets look at S. Carolina an sec school, but a program that hasn't had a whole lot of success. They fired Muschamp after 5 years with a similar resume to Dino. Muschamp had a 9 win season, Dino had a 10 win season. Muschamp also had a 7 win season, Dino went 5-7, both had losing seasons the other 3 years.

South Carolina won at least 9 games every year from 2010-2013

South Carolina won at least 9 games every year from 2010-2013
My point is they aren't a program with a lot of success, they have been to less bowl games then we have.

My point is they aren't a program with a lot of success, they have been to less bowl games then we have.
Really? Since 2000 SCar has been to 13 bowls (won 8) and SU has been to 6 (won 5). Over the past 21 seasons, SU has had a mind numbing 11 seasons of 4 wins or less. That's the reality of the state of the program.

My point is that judging Dino on how many bowls he took the team to is a bad way to measure success. His 2017 team was better than Marrone's 2010 team and P's 2005 team by the numbers. It's dependent on scheduling and bowl tie-ins.

Generally, more wins and bowl apperances is a sign of a program in a good spot. We're obviously not in a good spot - but we've been that way for long enough and through a bunch of different HC's - it's not a quick fix scenario and worth being careful in how we measure and decide what to do in the next year or two.

Oh really?

I ”ignored” the person you all are responding to and I just want to say you gotta try it. He always is negative and goes off the deep end. If you ignore him, it’s just amazing, you wont regret it.

I honestly think taking the Beamer or Cutcliffe approach with Dino and at a school like Syracuse is the best approach. He needs time, and with time and the right coordinators around him, it will bear results. This was always going to be a process and will continue to be one forever. This is not 25 years ago where Syracuse football was a brand people along the East Coast knew and respected. We're a generation separated from that, and this is basically a complete and total rebuild. The history is great for the school to tout, but 20 years of essential mediocrity or worse means there's an entire generation that looks at Syracuse as a Wake Forest/Duke/Temple type of team.

Maybe 20 years ago with a good hire and massive facilities upgrades, SU could right the ship on recruiting within a couple of years, start grabbing great classes, and all of a sudden everything gets better.

The university punted on facilities for decades, made a horrific hire that tanked the program even further, lost its East Coast recruiting connections that had been fostered from the early '80s to the 21st century. All of those things are not immediate fixes, and when you have coaches who are tenured for three or four years and leave or get fired, it makes it very difficult to have a unified vision that allows the type of continuity in place that SU needs. We are not Texas, and we are not USC. We don't have talent outside our back door that can instantly rebuild a program if you bring in a charismatic coach with some coaching chops. Those schools have the infrastructures and the alumni backing that eventually they will make a hire that will catapult them back into the national spotlight in short order. SU doesn't have that luxury.

Our bread and butter come from deep recruiting connections in states adjacent to NY, a continuing effort to upgrade facilities to at least middle of the pack ACC, and a coach and AD who understand that to make SU relevant it needs a long-term plan. It needs to be upgraded in recruiting, in the development of players once in the program, in roster depth, and in making good game-day decisions. Only the last one can be remedied quickly with a new coach. The other ones would all flounder by switching in six years.

Football more than any other intercollegiate sport relies on recruiting connections and a comfort level that is fostered through DECADES of reaching out. Especially when you don't have the name cache and the homegrown players like the Florida's, USC's, and Texas' of the world have.

In my mind the ONLY way SU rights the ship is by keeping Dino for many more years and constantly giving him upgrades to facilities, assistant coaching hire salaries, and recruiting budget. Dino has the charisma and the personality to win here, but what he needs is the institutional knowledge of the recruiting landscape where a high school coach KNOWS "if I point my guys towards that SU program they're going to be well taken care of." We don't have that right now, and if we fired the whole staff that relationship building would be back at square one.

It's honestly one of the reasons I thought Gerg faltered so badly. He was used to the USC's and Texas' of the world in recruiting. A plentiful bounty anywhere you stepped. The relationship building is still important but there are SO MANY players there, if you miss you have five other players that can fill that spot. He wasn't ready for recruiting to a school where the relationships on the recruiting trail were the MAIN reason SU was grabbing the Ray Rice's and Johnny Morant's of the world.

Doug was an NYC guy and had some ins with those pipelines. That helped. He was also a very dedicated X&O guy who was going to minimize talent gaps on the field where you might not win games but you'd play a style where you were never going to get blasted. That helped in recruiting. He also understood the development part of it as well.

So I'm with Dino because I think he has what it takes as a coach and as a leader of men, and because I do believe he and his staff are building connections with HS staff in the areas we need to be able to pluck kids from. But it will take time. Winning football helps, but a commitment to a long-term plan and constantly growing the budget that we DON'T see is what's going to pay dividends.

This is a similar story to Frank Beamer who recruited players to a middle of nowhere Ag. School because the AD recognized that if he continued to get resources and the right types of coaches around him they could be successful long term. It helps to be in Virginia near the DMV players, but they dominated that area only after Beamer had been there about seven or eight years. It will be harder here because we can't say "and you'll still be in Virginia!" SU's biggest Achilles heel is the fact we don't have a backyard full of talent. So those connections mean even more and require a lot of patience.

Last edited:
My point is that judging Dino on how many bowls he took the team to is a bad way to measure success. His 2017 team was better than Marrone's 2010 team and P's 2005 team by the numbers. It's dependent on scheduling and bowl tie-ins.

Generally, more wins and bowl apperances is a sign of a program in a good spot. We're obviously not in a good spot - but we've been that way for long enough and through a bunch of different HC's - it's not a quick fix scenario and worth being careful in how we measure and decide what to do in the next year or two.
How should we be judging? No one said it was a quick fix but Dino is getting 6 years here. That is a decent amount of time.

I ”ignored” the person you all are responding to and I just want to say you gotta try it. He always is negative and goes off the deep end. If you ignore him, it’s just amazing, you wont regret it.

FWIW, whenever I read about another poster having to actually place another poster on "ignore" it makes me think of this quote below made by another fellow board member here.

"It's funny how a skunk can't smell his own stink. What irritates us in other people is very valuable. It gives us insight in our own character. I never censor anyone. I try to have thick skin. People only take away from you what you let them. People only upset you because of your own weaknesses. Threatening to ignore someone is clearly an indication of weakness of character. The Japanese have a saying the first person to show any emotion or raise their voice in a discussion loses."

Like 99 pct of our fan base is willing to give him another year.
I’m just going by what I read between here and that cesspool Facebook has. I have confidence and hope for Dino.

FWIW, whenever I read about another poster having to actually place another poster on "ignore" it makes me think of this quote below made by another fellow board member here.

"It's funny how a skunk can't smell his own stink. What irritates us in other people is very valuable. It gives us insight in our own character. I never censor anyone. I try to have thick skin. People only take away from you what you let them. People only upset you because of your own weaknesses. Threatening to ignore someone is clearly an indication of weakness of character. The Japanese have a saying the first person to show any emotion or raise their voice in a discussion loses."
Well Orangecuse that is very Zen of you. I am sorry my words trouble you. Remember though that your words reside in only your domain and no other. You are the owner and none other. If you have a problem with what I say then I guess my answer would be I don't really care. That said in the grand scheme I don't think you really care either. Like Cous you are pretty predictable.

Well Orangecuse that is very Zen of you. I am sorry my words trouble you. Remember though that your words reside in only your domain and no other. You are the owner and none other. If you have a problem with what I say then I guess my answer would be I don't really care. That said in the grand scheme I don't think you really care either. Like Cous you are pretty predictable.
And that was very Zen of you.

457edecbf41681bc46f3944ddbd23ecb.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom