Dino's Game 12 Press Conference | BC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 12 Press Conference | BC

I’ll give Dino credit, he has a way with words and can polish a turd. I mean I’m not buying most of what he says anymore, but he could sell water to a drowning man.
Heal me

Tucker, I’m calling it right now. He’s coming for all the Syracuse University running back records, and would be smart to do so. It won’t make him a rich man but will make him a football legend. Barring a SB ring it’s probably the biggest achievement he can reach.
not a chance

I can't say I feel better about Dino's decision about the 2 point conversion after reading his thinking here.

I listened to the presser and understood what he was saying mathematically. I think I still would have gone for 2 but I get the mathematically reasoning for not. He basically said the odds of getting a 4th possession were better than everything going perfectly with 3 including making all the 2 pointers.

I listened to the presser and understood what he was saying mathematically. I think I still would have gone for 2 but I get the mathematically reasoning for not. He basically said the odds of getting a 4th possession were better than everything going perfectly with 3 including making all the 2 pointers.

That is baloney. Getting three 2pt conversions is probably just over a 10% chance. With 10 mins left stopping Wake 3x while still having time to score 3x yourself is certainly less than 10%.

If you miss the 1st then you still need 3 possessions, so where is the risk? If you make the 1st and miss the 2nd, you still need 3 possessions. Again where is the risk?

There was 10 mins left, he really thinks we will get 3 possessions to score? We ended up not even having enough time for 2 possessions.

On top of that which is more likely stopping Wake's O 2x or 3x?

That is baloney. Getting three 2pt conversions is probably just over a 10% chance. With 10 mins left stopping Wake 3x while still having time to score 3x yourself is certainly less than 10%.

If you miss the 1st then you still need 3 possessions, so where is the risk? If you make the 1st and miss the 2nd, you still need 3 possessions. Again where is the risk?

There was 10 mins left, he really thinks we will get 3 possessions to score? We ended up not even having enough time for 2 possessions.

On top of that which is more likely stopping Wake's O 2x or 3x?

Did you listen to him?

Did you listen to him?

No, not going to waste my time. If he thinks we are getting 3 possessions with 10 mins left in the game as you stated, then he is insane.

The risk of going for 2 is very minimal. The reward is immense. The math in no way says kick a PAT there.

I hope it is Wax or Carter. I want both to return. Keep the podcast going.

With the Shrader/Tucker combo you should have a better chance than most teams in short yardage like that.

With a decimated defense playing on the road, the odds of 4 possessions is even harder.

Couple that with not kicking the FG with 22 seconds left, and I just really think the guy doesn't get this stuff at all. Or best guess, at 45-21, he had packed it in and wasn't even considering they could come back.

No, not going to waste my time. If he thinks we are getting 3 possessions with 10 mins left in the game as you stated, then he is insane.

The risk of going for 2 is very minimal. The reward is immense. The math in no way says kick a PAT there.

Well the little sheet NFL and college coaches use which tells them based on score and time whether to go for 1 or 2, says coaches choice. Why? Because there’s not a huge difference.

Shrader kinda has to return.
While as a Grad transfer he could go elsewhere, we've got the whole O basically custom tailored to his strengths (when healthy). He needs a complete, successful season to even have a chance of a hope of a sniff of a post-college football career.
That and finally having the luxury to play in the same scheme

Last edited:
With the Shrader/Tucker combo you should have a better chance than most teams in short yardage like that.

With a decimated defense playing on the road, the odds of 4 possessions is even harder.

Couple that with not kicking the FG with 22 seconds left, and I just really think the guy doesn't get this stuff at all. Or best guess, at 45-21, he had packed it in and wasn't even considering they could come back.

We only had 2 TOs left too. The only way you have time for 3 possessions is if you get an onside kick. The chances of recovering are those are low.

Did he explain how he thought kicking a FG with 9 secs left and then kicking an onside kick with 4 seconds left would have left enough time for one last play?

Well the little sheet NFL and college coaches use which tells them based on score and time whether to go for 1 or 2, says coaches choice. Why? Because there’s not a huge difference.

There is a huge difference when there is very little time left. 10 mins and 2 TOs isn't enough time to have 3 possessions of your own. Especially for a team that has had issues stopping the run.

Dino seems like the guy to split 10’s and then argue with the table when they tell him it’s a bad play
Wait, that’s a bad play?

We only had 2 TOs left too. The only way you have time for 3 possessions is if you get an onside kick. The chances of recovering are those are low.

Did he explain how he thought kicking a FG with 9 secs left and then kicking an onside kick with 4 seconds left would have left enough time for one last play?

Forgot about our wasted timeout.

I think he spends a lot of time on Sunday trying to come up with justifications for these types of decisions. But I'd bet they aren't things he was thinking about in the moment.

The way the game played out here are the scenarios:

Go for 2 and convert twice
0:51 left SU ball at the Wake 40 down 45-37

Go for 2 and fail, PAT the 2nd TD
0:51 left SU ball at the Wake 40 down 45-34

Go for 2 and convert, 2nd TD 2pt fail
0:51 left SU ball at the Wake 40 down 45-35

Go for two PATs

It really made no difference going for 2 and failing vs kicking two PATs. You are in the same boat. But getting it 2x would have been huge.

The way the game played out here are the scenarios:

Go for 2 and convert twice
0:51 left SU ball at the Wake 40 down 45-37

Go for 2 and fail, PAT the 2nd TD
0:51 left SU ball at the Wake 40 down 45-34

Go for 2 and convert, 2nd TD 2pt fail

Go for two PATs

It really made no difference going for 2 and failing vs kicking two PATs. You are in the same boat. But getting it 2x would have been huge.

Making three 2 pointers is a 6% chance.

The conversion rate is estimated to be about 40%. Although Dino said it’s 38% vs WF. But we’ll use 40%.

.4 x .4 x .4 = .06

Some say it’s closer to 43%. Even at that making 3 would be 7.9%
And what are the odds to score 3 touchdowns, kick an insides kick. And kick a FG. All without the other team scoring once?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom