Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame

The defenders of the lower ranked team are going to have to start setting up like they're taking a charge in basketball when along the sideline. Because it seems if you even suggest touching an offensive player on the national championship contender if they appear to be running out of bounds you'll be flagged.
fify

OK, My opinion is that this is not about conjecture, There is definitive information right in front of our eyes.

1.The no call is on the Ref which everyone has spoken about. In the case of GS the Ref isn’t looking at Shrader being hit OOB, he’s got his back to the play looking at the playing field effectively blind to something so important that should have been a penalty and effectively changing the momentum positively for us.

2.On the hit OOB on the Clemson QB, the Ref is looking directly at the action of Cundiff hitting the QB OOB with his shoulder and the QB is, as one post states, looks like a European soccer player trying to get a penalty called and a red card by play acting.

I wrote a post on this right after the game called, “This is not a kind post but it’s reality”. It’s so obvious - but there is nothing we can do about it which makes it for me more emotionally draining. We had them, then we didn’t because of a Refs being blind to the play. A shame. But we have to let it go and move on to the next game.

Three blind mice, three blind mice
See how they run, see how they run
They all ran after the farmer's wife
She cut off their tails with a carving knife
Did you ever see such a sight in your life as three blind mice?

In this case, it’s one but let’s give it to three and sit them down and make them look at the play posted and call out the S.O.B. who didn’t call anything. Maybe he loses his job or just starts to cry because he was as stupid as some of our players who made really stupid mistakes. For the game, 10 penalties for 88 YDS!

It would be wonderful if all REFS could be unbiased and get every call correct but that’s not going to happen and the amount of penalties created and called on SU could stop. But that’s probably not going to happen either. Maybe we could try, and Dino could lead the way on this to try and go just one game this season w/o a penalty or at least get it down to one or two. NAH, no penalties – we can do it, we can, I think we can, I think we can, I think we can. Like the little engine that could, maybe DB could have a recording of this playing all week during practices.

This team, as we just saw, can do anything it thinks it can so let’s do it and go 11-1.
there were 3-4 refs who actively are watching both calls from a good spot.. they can always talk and pick up the flag. in both cases the head judge is following the QB cause thats his job.

Was one QB clearly out and one not.. yup. They called a marginal one and ignored a blatant one.

His demeanor in this presser, aside from disappointment in the loss, is one of legit concern about the health of his guys going into another buzzsaw game.

there were 3-4 refs who actively are watching both calls from a good spot.. they can always talk and pick up the flag. in both cases the head judge is following the QB cause thats his job.

Was one QB clearly out and one not.. yup. They called a marginal one and ignored a blatant one.
Agreed. Marginal yes - unfortunate ignorance on the blatant non-call.

Last edited:
well he took responsibility for the two big issues not that it means much.

He makes a great point about Cundiff's sideline shoulder bump. The FSU kid faked going out of bounds. Really puts the defender in a bad spot. The Clemson kid was toe touching to get extra inches. I thought it was egregious live but on replay I didn't even think it was flag worthy. I guess all you can do is use your hands but that's a really tough spot.

I had a different take but you could argue I’m being a little harsh. He led off with the issues but he didn’t take direct responsibility, especially for the timeout. Tucker “it was addressed”…but the TO falls squarely, unequivocally on him.

Maybe it’s just part of his belief that you don’t publicly single out anyone negatively, including himself.

I had a different take but you could argue I’m being a little harsh. He led off with the issues but he didn’t take direct responsibility, especially for the timeout. Tucker “it was addressed”…but the TO falls squarely, unequivocally on him.

Maybe it’s just part of his belief that you don’t publicly single out anyone negatively, including himself.

Yeah I agree but I just think Dino as most coaches are just trying to get away without saying anything. We all know who the responsibility falls on at the end of the day. IMO, these press conferences with Dino are a complete waste of time other than getting a few movie references. In addition, not exactly a group of hard hitting journalists in attendance at those things either, kind of a joke really

I still just cannot believe the stupidity of wasting 30 seconds before calling the timeout. I dont care if someone on the staff told him not to call it. Its basic clock management. Any 10 year old thats ever played Madden knows to call that immediately. Its mind boggling.

I understand the purpose in spirit but we have been getting hosed since we joined the ACC. Nothing has changed. Keep submitting these things of course. I'm ready to change conferences.

Be careful what you wish for with respect to changing conferences. If/when the ACC is picked apart we have to hope the Big 12 is willing to move east or we'll be left out in the wilderness.

I agree 100%. I always think these things are a bit silly anyways. People always want to see leaders take responsibility but when leaders do it's hollow, they hardly give a sht and especially when none of it matters and there aren't any repercussions.

I still just cannot believe the stupidity of wasting 30 seconds before calling the timeout. I dont care if someone on the staff told him not to call it. Its basic clock management. Any 10 year old thats ever played Madden knows to call that immediately. Its mind boggling.

Either call it immediately or don't call it at all and save the timeout. He really made the worst possible decision there.

But it's over.

Be careful what you wish for with respect to changing conferences. If/when the ACC is picked apart we have to hope the Big 12 is willing to move east or we'll be left out in the wilderness.
How will the expansion of the playoffs impact the need to be a P5? How will it impact the bowl games? Will they start doing automatic bids based on conference champions like basketball? Honestly have no idea.

How will the expansion of the playoffs impact the need to be a P5? How will it impact the bowl games? Will they start doing automatic bids based on conference champions like basketball? Honestly have no idea.

I don't think any of that matter. Our program wont survive playing Temple and ECU. We can survive playing Oklahoma State and West Virginia, but there's no guarantee that will happen for us.

My 8-year-old still has clock management issues. Should I be concerned?

Last edited:
1) The unfortunate thing about the Fuentes penalty is that we had two defenders right there on the sideline, just a few yards downfield. Even if the QB wanted to pull an FSU-type move and try to fake going out of bounds to cut upfield, there was zero chance he'd have gotten anywhere close to the first down marker. Just a lousy circumstance all around.

2) Dino's comments about Tucker's 5 carries fit into how he's been talking about him all year. For those who have been paying attention, Dino has been explicitly talking about feeding Tucker, and making sure he got his, from game #1. He's done it so frequently that it honestly started to worry me -- like he was more interested in getting Tucker yards for a Heisman campaign than running the most productive offense possible. Now, to be clear, I don't think that's the case. But it's no surprise to hear him say 5 carries aren't enough and that it's been "addressed". Something tells me that, in an age of easy transfers and NIL, that Dino wants everyone to know that superstar players are gonna get theirs at SU.
Pure uneducated speculation on my part (do I offer anything else) but I inferred the comment “it’s been taken care of” to mean it has been addressed with GS. I think they feel he is reading the defense too much one way. Just my opinion.

Pure uneducated speculation on my part (do I offer anything else) but I inferred the comment “it’s been taken care of” to mean it has been addressed with GS. I think they feel he is reading the defense too much one way. Just my opinion.
Absolutely could be. Whomever "being addressed" refers to, I believe the message is that Tucker needs the rock and will be getting the rock much more.

That was my take too.. The question is on film what are they seeing .. its not like there have been huge holes anywhere to run thru.

Also its funny cause on this board so many complaints about running into brick walls with Tucker.. Well this is the opposite, be doesnt see a p lay and tries another or stick with handing it off and hoping we make a decent run.. would we feel better if we had 5-7 more zero yd runs against Clemson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom