Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame

I think this is a good post, but I have an issue with your last paragraph -- because penalties were HIGHLY detrimental in taking away several big offensive plays that we DID have. It wasn't just that no-call on Shrader being clearly hit out of bounds.

A holding penalty wiped out a Shrader run for a first down. A holding penalty wiped off a massive third down conversion on a pass to Gadsden. Not only did that wipe off first downs, but also prevented us from:
  1. Retaining the ball
  2. Using additional clock to shorten the game when we had the lead
  3. Wracking up potential additional yardage, because we'd have more plays to use
  4. Potentially scoring
I'm not suggesting that those were all bad calls. I'm just saying that based upon calls, Clemson's cause was assisted on both sides of the ball at key inflection points during the game -- numerous times. Not only did we not get any calls, all of the key calls went against us.

So by definition, the officiating was a huge factor. This is one of those instances where two things can be true simultaneously. If we did more offensively, we probably win AND the officiating was incredibly lopsided and dealt us harm.

Fair enough.

I can't comment intelligently on those two particular penalties you are referring to as I haven't gone back to those particular plays, see the actual footage, etc. and make an assessment. No doubt though, those calls played a role and have significance...just as your ensuing points point out.

As typically the case, were the calls warranted (objectively) or not, and, if not for the particular foul, would that play's outcome been different?

The ones that get me are when they are ticky tack like, and/or having no bearing on the play at all.

It's been an issue his entire 7 years here, the "it wont happen again" line is either him not being honest or the biggest troll job of all time.
There was a stat about 3 years ago that said Dino basically is above the mean games decided by 1 score over his tenure at 3 different schools. Last years bad run might have knicked it up. But I’ll try to find it.

I think 7 years is hyperbolic nonsense.

"Babers on RB Sean Tucker’s lack of involvement: “He should have more than five carries in a football game. That’s been addressed.”

If that makes it clear then what should we expect - more than 5 carries ? More than 20 ?
ok.. The question is how mahy calls do we have that are 2 way RPOs? Is this an issue of calling plays, or SHrader seeing a D that a pass works better for him or Shrader holding the ball and running?

And after he released the ball
if a player is tip toeing up the sideline, and we know refs miss that call all the time, I dont know why they would every call a penalty for a slight shove. It wasnt like he was a yd out running down the line, he was inches if that. The backside replay shows he was no more than his last step out.

Shrader was yds out of bounds when he got shoved into the bench..

Closest ref on the Shader one looking the other way instead of 5 yards out of bounds.

Wonder if anyone actually saw it considering where it took place.
dont tell me that the following head judge whose job is to protect the QB didnt see it from just outside the camera.

This.

The QB was actively trying to go up field just inside the out of bounds line... he had to be forced out by contact.

It matters where your shoulders are squared... if they are squared directly upfield, you are moving upfield and not trying to go out of bounds.

It was an absolutely BS call because he was unquestionably going up field.

The Schrader no-call was also BS, because it was the textbook version and should have been called.
maybe call the penalty for the block in the back next time

I think they are both hits out of bounds. About as similar of plays as you are going to see.
I don't think they are similar at all. One is a quarterback beyond the line of scrimmage, he has become a runner, he is still moving up field and the defender makes contact right at the sideline. The other, the quarterback is moving laterally AFTER having thrown the ball. And, he is then hit out of bounds well after throwing the ball.

First of all, I’ve had no issues with Dino’s responses or non responses in previous time management issues, but I actually have an issue with his explanation today.

He makes it sound like calling TO is delegated to someone he had to dress down this weekend.

Isn’t it the HCs job to call TO?

I’d rather he said “that’s on me”.
to me the question was leave a minute or so on the clock with a to or call the TO.. I think that was the confusion to save it or not and then they realized taking it was better.. at least they didn let the whole 40 run off the clock.

There was a stat about 3 years ago that said Dino basically is above the mean games decided by 1 score over his tenure at 3 different schools. Last years bad run might have knicked it up. But I’ll try to find it.

I think 7 years is hyperbolic nonsense.

Dinos struggles with clock management have been well documented and have bene an issue his entir career. Just search clock management in the football forum qnd peruse the results.

Dino has said over and over he doesnt send many plays and when he does he gets a solid A that he was right.. the fact that he sent more than just those tells you something.

Its funny that we still have a system where this stuff goes behind closed doors and no one gets called out for screwing up other than coaches/players when we have a system that fixed many of the mistakes refs make..

Dino has said over and over he doesnt send many plays and when he does he gets a solid A that he was right.. the fact that he sent more than just those tells you something.

Its funny that we still have a system where this stuff goes behind closed doors and no one gets called out for screwing up other than coaches/players when we have a system that fixed many of the mistakes refs make..
how can the league office punish the officials for doing what they were told to do?

how can the league office punish the officials for doing what they were told to do?
Well they could get paid less.. Yhey get to work less big games, they have to train more, they get releaved of ACC duties.

And what were they told to do? Make bad calls or miss calls? Its just happened that the highest profile calls all happened late in the game and probably changed the outcome.

Did we have marginal roughing calls earlier that were missed?

I know Clemson was complaining about holding calls.. And they have complained all year? Did Clemson not hold during the game either?

Like any other job.

One reason that we have targeting calls reviewed is because they are hard to tell at speed.. the only difference is that they decided those types of calls also come with a throw the kid out call. But the reality is that PF calls happen multiple times a game and are often marginal as well and they can be game changers and people get hurt .. I mean you can wreck a QB with a late hit and its 15 yds but you can accidentally get a targeting and get tossed..

If you are gonna let a coach use replay anytime they want and use a TO to judge a spot call, then why not let them on PF use a replay it a coach doesnt agree with the call.. its better than the guy upstairs eating pizza randomly stop the game..

Just go to the rule you get to challenge X type things up until you get Y wrong and take the random dude out of it..

Baseball should do the same.. You see a play, you decide just like the umps in real time whether to challenge. No waiting for replay to decide what you want to challenge.. You have 5 secs.

Ff2r_2YXwAE2tU2

I respect Babers for acknowledging the time mismanagement.
I guess? Him saying it was handled internally kind of makes it seem like he's implying that it was someone else's fault. Dino doesn't need to get permission to call a time out from an assistant. That's 100% on him to call it.
To handle it internally would imply that he had a conversation with whoever was at fault.
If he's taking the blame, doesn't he just say, "hey, that's on me, and it won't happen again."?

I guess? Him saying it was handled internally kind of makes it seem like he's implying that it was someone else's fault. Dino doesn't need to get permission to call a time out from an assistant. That's 100% on him to call it.
To handle it internally would imply that he had a conversation with whoever was at fault.
If he's taking the blame, doesn't he just say, "hey, that's on me, and it won't happen again."?
That’s usually the verbiage he uses to shut down a conversation. When observing how Dino speaks in press conferences, though it can be very frustrating at times, he is excellent at establishing boundaries. The man just straight up shuts people down.

OK, My opinion is that this is not about conjecture, There is definitive information right in front of our eyes.

1.The no call is on the Ref which everyone has spoken about. In the case of GS the Ref isn’t looking at Shrader being hit OOB, he’s got his back to the play looking at the playing field effectively blind to something so important that should have been a penalty and effectively changing the momentum positively for us.

2.On the hit OOB on the Clemson QB, the Ref is looking directly at the action of Cundiff hitting the QB OOB with his shoulder and the QB is, as one post states, looks like a European soccer player trying to get a penalty called and a red card by play acting.

I wrote a post on this right after the game called, “This is not a kind post but it’s reality”. It’s so obvious - but there is nothing we can do about it which makes it for me more emotionally draining. We had them, then we didn’t because of a Refs being blind to the play. A shame. But we have to let it go and move on to the next game.

Three blind mice, three blind mice
See how they run, see how they run
They all ran after the farmer's wife
She cut off their tails with a carving knife
Did you ever see such a sight in your life as three blind mice?

In this case, it’s one but let’s give it to three and sit them down and make them look at the play posted and call out the S.O.B. who didn’t call anything. Maybe he loses his job or just starts to cry because he was as stupid as some of our players who made really stupid mistakes. For the game, 10 penalties for 88 YDS!

It would be wonderful if all REFS could be unbiased and get every call correct but that’s not going to happen and the amount of penalties created and called on SU could stop. But that’s probably not going to happen either. Maybe we could try, and Dino could lead the way on this to try and go just one game this season w/o a penalty or at least get it down to one or two. NAH, no penalties – we can do it, we can, I think we can, I think we can, I think we can. Like the little engine that could, maybe DB could have a recording of this playing all week during practices.

This team, as we just saw, can do anything it thinks it can so let’s do it and go 11-1.

First of all, I’ve had no issues with Dino’s responses or non responses in previous time management issues, but I actually have an issue with his explanation today.

He makes it sound like calling TO is delegated to someone he had to dress down this weekend.

Isn’t it the HCs job to call TO?

I’d rather he said “that’s on me”.
Great leaders will accept public responsibility on any issue the public has a question about.

Both of the responses today were deflecting blame. Not a great look for the head of a program.

Great leaders will accept public responsibility on any issue the public has a question about.

Both of the responses today were deflecting blame. Not a great look for the head of a program.
Idk man, he admitted it was a mistake which inferred ownership. I was actually pleasantly surprised and did think that he owned up to it. Some people just aren’t as direct when apologizing as you or I would be.

well he took responsibility for the two big issues not that it means much.

He makes a great point about Cundiff's sideline shoulder bump. The FSU kid faked going out of bounds. Really puts the defender in a bad spot. The Clemson kid was toe touching to get extra inches. I thought it was egregious live but on replay I didn't even think it was flag worthy. I guess all you can do is use your hands but that's a really tough spot.
The defenders are going to have to start setting up like they're taking a charge in basketball when along the sideline. Because it seems if you even suggest touching an offensive player if they appear to be running out of bounds you'll be flagged.

1) The unfortunate thing about the Fuentes penalty is that we had two defenders right there on the sideline, just a few yards downfield. Even if the QB wanted to pull an FSU-type move and try to fake going out of bounds to cut upfield, there was zero chance he'd have gotten anywhere close to the first down marker. Just a lousy circumstance all around.

2) Dino's comments about Tucker's 5 carries fit into how he's been talking about him all year. For those who have been paying attention, Dino has been explicitly talking about feeding Tucker, and making sure he got his, from game #1. He's done it so frequently that it honestly started to worry me -- like he was more interested in getting Tucker yards for a Heisman campaign than running the most productive offense possible. Now, to be clear, I don't think that's the case. But it's no surprise to hear him say 5 carries aren't enough and that it's been "addressed". Something tells me that, in an age of easy transfers and NIL, that Dino wants everyone to know that superstar players are gonna get theirs at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom