Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 8 Press Conference | Notre Dame

Why do I have this gnawing feeling that when SU submits a tape to the ACC showing a blatant personal foul on Clemson, the committee reviews the tape looking to see if they can find another hold or false start call to make against us?
I get the feeling there are three guys in a room
having coffee and when the tape arrives one says “another tape from Babers “ and they all break into uproarious laughter.

having coffee and when the tape arrives one says “another tape from Babers “ and they all break into uproarious laughter.
Probably true. Except instead of saying “Babers” they probably just say “up North.”

What I don’t get is how anyone could game plan for any game in which Tucker is able to play and not get him 15+ Carries. What’s interesting is that HCDB didn’t say “hey, this was a scheme thing for this game” …. The way it’s presented here is as if someone did something wrong …
I feel that the thing that is not discussed is that a lot of the runs GS pulled the ball. He did that based on the formation he observed at the time. He did have a lot of yards rushing. I think Tucker needs more touches but I also do not want to just hand off the ball if it not going to gain yards. It’s a balance.

That’s a late hit and it’s not close. Period
I disagree. Neither of his feet had crossed over the sideline when contact was made. There should also be some consideration given to the level of contact made, which was pretty minimal. The QB went all limp-legged. He sold it well, credit to him.
And why did you write the word "period" when you already used punctuation? Was it your way of emphatically stating that your opinion carries more weight than another forum member's?

I disagree. Neither of his feet had crossed over the sideline when contact was made. There should also be some consideration given to the level of contact made, which was pretty minimal. The QB went all limp-legged. He sold it well, credit to him.
And why did you write the word "period" when you already used punctuation? Was it your way of emphatically stating that your opinion carries more weight than another forum member's?
Nope , There was a shove at the end. Grammar police need not apply. My opinion means more. You have to be kidding. That’s what you read out of it. I feel strongly about this. I have no doubt it was a late hit . Period! Period ! Period! Period !

Last edited:
80B8EBA6-A819-4C87-883C-8D652D7C95EA.jpeg

Would it? It wouldn’t favor Alabama or Ohio State or somebody?
I think it would be less so. At the very least it wouldn't be worse. Right now it is in the conferences' best interest to give their highest ranked teams the best shot at making the playoff. The refs that are paid by the conference have incentive to scew things in favor of those teams. If they're not paid by the conference that incentive is removed. Of course there would still be personal prejudice and flat out incompetence.

And there was a more physical hit than both on one of our wideouts out of bounds shortly after these two. But I guess if you aren’t a QB it’s open season.

25 minute press conference and Stephen Bailey wasn't even in the room. Is that a record?

A very different vibe to it, Dino seemed to really want to open up in that first long statement.
He’s wants to move on and not lose the game twice. Nothing productive comes from dwelling , rehashing, and finger pointing.

I always wonder if the refs hold a bit of a grudge when someone sends a tape complaining about a call?

Do they list openings on their website where we can just submit a resume?
We need better references.

If the resume doesn’t work how about a petition?

Sounds like he's really charging the community/media/P-S to rally and get behind this team.

I hope someone is clueing him on the issue with the noon start - that all the fans won't be in their seats until the 2nd qtr.

I think they are both hits out of bounds. About as similar of plays as you are going to see.

I agree, and, IMO, flags were warranted in both instances.

I do think the roughing call on us was far more critical than the lack of one against Clemson. My reasoning being, Clemson undoubtedly punts there to us on 3rd and 16-ish. Instead, they get a first down on our 30 and it completely shifts the MO. Shortly thereafter, we magnify the situation with yet another 'boneheaded' PF when their QB is completely down and then Wax pulls/tugs on his face mask. Bam, 21-16 and their crowd is back into it again.

On our non-call, Shrader goes out on our own 18. If the call is made, it places the ball on our own 33, first and ten. However, that being the case, based upon how anemic our offense had been to that point in the 2nd half, do we do anything with it other than run perhaps a couple of minutes or so off the game clock? Even if we run a few minutes more off there, time wasn't anywhere near critical essence yet. We punted, and shortly thereafter Shipley rips off the 50 yard TD run. The ensuing two point conversation makes it 24-21 Clemson with 11:26 left in the game.

There was still a boat load of time left in the game. The fact of the matter is, our offense continued to be anemic afterwards as well.

The bogus pass inference call came on 3rd and 11 from mid-field with 2:58 left in the game. If the call wasn't made, Clemson punts and our field position likely is no better than the 20 or so and some 2:50 left in the game with two time outs left. Now, up until this point in the entire second half we have been unable to move the ball at all. We had three, 3 and outs earlier in the second half. So, who knows what we do at this point. Is it possible that we suddenly move the ball when we've been unable to do anything at all in the 2nd half to this point? Yes, it's possible, but hardly a probability or certainty putting together multiple first downs, moving the ball some 50 yards (making it a 47 yard field goal attempt in that instance) and kicking the tying FG.

As it did play out, Clemson gets a first and ten on our 35 yard line. From there, they are only able to move the ball approximately 9 yards total, stopping them a yard short of the 1st on 3rd and 3 from the 28. There is 2:03 seconds left in the game, 4th and a yard or so. Rather inexplainable, Dino fails to call timeout until the 1:38 mark, allowing some 25 seconds to run off. The Clemson FG comes at the 1:33 mark making it 27-21.

On the following SU possession, we are able to move the ball for the first time the entire 2nd half. Clemson, on this drive played prevent D, as the only way to lose this game now is for us to score a game winning TD. The ensuing pick by Shrader and game over.

Based upon the aforementioned facts, it's my opinion, that we did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost this game based upon our complete failure to have any semblance of an offense in the 2nd half and failing to capitalize on those back to back 3rd Q Clemson turnovers where afterwards we had good field position. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
My take on the late hits. I am fine if both were called the same. Both flagged or both not flagged. The only problem I have is that they were called different and nobody likes to blame officials but it clearly had a negative impact on the game for us.

Tucker "it has been addressed" That doesn't necessarly mean it was a coaching philosophy that the addressed it could be they addressed it with GS and said on some of these RPO's you need to give the ball to Tucker instead of keeping it yourself. Could be that they need to call more straight runs instead of RPOs to take that decision away from GS. Could be a combo of things that they addressed.

I feel that the thing that is not discussed is that a lot of the runs GS pulled the ball. He did that based on the formation he observed at the time. He did have a lot of yards rushing. I think Tucker needs more touches but I also do not want to just hand off the ball if it not going to gain yards. It’s a balance.
Agree-I don't want them to force 30 carries against ND to compensate, especially if we're not running well. Do what's working.

First of all, I’ve had no issues with Dino’s responses or non responses in previous time management issues, but I actually have an issue with his explanation today.

He makes it sound like calling TO is delegated to someone he had to dress down this weekend.

Isn’t it the HCs job to call TO?

I’d rather he said “that’s on me”.

I've never been a "blame the refs" kinda guy- mostly because it serves little purpose. Its not like there's any repercussions or you pick up from where the bad call was made. There's little to no accountability for them anyway.
So what if they get a strongly-worded statement from the league office? How about making them available to take questions and at the very least explain themselves? Even a "I missed that one- my bad", would suffice. We otoh, get nothing but frustration, and they get to do it all over again next week.
Dino was probably right to just leave it alone.

I agree, and, IMO, flags were warranted in both instances.

I do think the roughing call on us was far more critical than the lack of one against Clemson. My reasoning being, Clemson undoubtedly punts there to us on 3rd and 16-ish. Instead, they get a first down on our 30 and it completely shifts the MO. Shortly thereafter, we magnify the situation with yet another 'boneheaded' PF when their QB is completely down and then Wax pulls/tugs on his face mask. Bam, 21-16 and their crowd is back into it again.

On our non-call, Shrader goes out on our own 18. If the call is made, it places the ball on our own 33, first and ten. However, that being the case, based upon how anemic our offense had been to that point in the game, do we do anything with it other than run perhaps a couple of minutes or so off the game clock? Even if we run a few minutes more off there, time wasn't anywhere near critical essence yet. We punted, and shortly thereafter Shipley rips off the 50 yard TD run. The ensuing two point conversation makes it 24-21 Clemson with 11:26 left in the game.

There was still a boat load of time left in the game. The fact of the matter is, our offense continued to be anemic afterwards as well.

The bogus pass inference call that came on 3rd and 11 from mid field with 2:58 left in the game. If the call wasn't made, Clemson punts and our field position likely is no better than the 20 or so and some 2:50 left in the game with two time outs left. Now, up until this point in the entire second half we have been unable to move the ball much at all. We had three, 3 and outs earlier in the second half. So, who knows what we do at the point. Is it possible that we suddenly move the ball when we've been able to do nothing at all in the 2nd half to this point? It's possible, but hardly a probability or certainty putting together multiple first downs, moving the ball some 50 yards (making it a 47 yard field goal attempt in that instance) and kicking the tying FG.

As it did play out, Clemson gets a first a ten on our 35 yard line. From there, they are only able to move the ball approximately 9 yards total, stopping them a yard short of the 1st on 3rd and 3 from the 28. There is 2:03 seconds left in the game, 4th and a yard or so. Rather inexplainable, Dino fails to call timeout until the 1:38 mark, allowing some 25 seconds to run off. The Clemson FG comes at the 1:33 mark making it 27-21.

On the ensuing SU possession, we are able to move the ball for the first time the entire 2nd half. Clemson, on this drive played prevent D, as the only way to lose this game now is for us to score a game winning TD. The ensuing pick by Shrader and game over.

Based upon the aforementioned facts, it's my opinion, that we did not lose this game because of the refs. We lost this game based upon our complete failure to have any semblance of an offense in the 2nd half and failing to capitalize on those back to back 3rd Q Clemson turnovers where afterwards we had good field position. Again, just my opinion.

I think this is a good post, but I have an issue with your last paragraph -- because penalties were HIGHLY detrimental in taking away several big offensive plays that we DID have. It wasn't just that no-call on Shrader being clearly hit out of bounds.

A holding penalty wiped out a Shrader run for a first down. A holding penalty wiped off a massive third down conversion on a pass to Gadsden. Not only did that wipe off first downs, but also prevented us from:
  1. Retaining the ball
  2. Using additional clock to shorten the game when we had the lead
  3. Wracking up potential additional yardage, because we'd have more plays to use
  4. Potentially scoring
I'm not suggesting that those were all bad calls. I'm just saying that based upon calls, Clemson's cause was assisted on both sides of the ball at key inflection points during the game -- numerous times. Not only did we not get any calls, all of the key calls went against us.

So by definition, the officiating was a huge factor. This is one of those instances where two things can be true simultaneously. If we did more offensively, we probably win AND the officiating was incredibly lopsided and dealt us harm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom