Dino's Presser after Liberty | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Presser after Liberty

That's a reason to be reluctant to change coaches. the new guy has to assemble a staff, try to convince players and recruits to stay and re-establish relationships that were severed by the firing. it usually results in a gap in your recruiting that shows up a few years later.
Yeah but could it get much worse anyways.

What ever happened to the Bad News Bears philosophy. Taking players and getting the best out of them. Making them believers. Or was that Liberty today? The new kids on the block. but playing their hearts out to prove that Liberty is one of the big boys. We need to be that team. I thought Babers was coaching that way, especially when we beat Clemson. He needs to get that back. He needs to get players to play above their ability or to their highest ability. I don't feel like the players are buying in. Babers needs to make believers out of them. To put the TEAM mentality back into the program. Many of the players we see on other teams probably are no better than our players other than a Trevor Lawrence type of player who is in a league all their own. We have injuries, and he has to get the most out of those who are next in line. We can not settle for less, and Babers needs to operate with that philosophy, with that fire. We have quality players. We just need to pull that quality out of them.
Well said!

Again, besides the super fans here, who really cares? Anyone who really expected much from this year has only themselves to blame for their ulcers. Considering how little was really at stake, its not like the BBall team losing to Vermont in the tourney. THAT mattered. THIS doesn't.

Not for nothing, but I really really...did I mention REALLY, take exception to this type of thinking.
These games matter & there’s no excuse for the turd-fest we witnessed yesterday against a program in its 3rd year of FBS play.
Why bother keeping score, or televising it, or hell...even dressing for the game if it “doesn’t matter”? That’s a defeatist attitude, and a loser rationalization at its fullest. It’s not an exhibition- it counts, its on the record. Period.
Least we can do is look at the myriad reasons we lost the damn game, instead of placating the legit concerns of many by acting like its no big deal. That’s a loser’s mentality- and something I never want to equate with Syracuse football. JMHO

“We play today, we win today. That’s it”- Mariano Duncan - WS Champion ‘96 Yankees

If being inept on O was from injuries how do people explain last season?

Looking back we really have struggled on O for 5 years now. Years 1-3 were throw it deep or have Dungey do something. Now we are just throw it deep and hope something good happens. That isn't a real O. There is a reason why we have labored to keep any drive going the last FIVE years.

If you remember in year 1 the O was horrid in the first half every game because Dino was running his system. Then in the 2nd half we would sling it around and look decent. Outside of VA Tech and Pitt we did not look like a decent O.

Year 2 did we look good outside of the Clemson game?

Year 3 was pretty good although IMO most of it was Dungey improve.

Year 4 we just had Duke.

This year we think of GA Tech being good but in reality it wasn't. We are just used to seeing really bad.

We have had a lot of bad O the last five years. Even with decent talent years 1-3. If this year was an outlier you could chalk it up to injuries. When you add in the lack of talent on O, we get the last 16 games of ineptitude.

If being inept on O was from injuries how do people explain last season?

Looking back we really have struggled on O for 5 years now. Years 1-3 were throw it deep or have Dungey do something. Now we are just throw it deep and hope something good happens. That isn't a real O. There is a reason why we have labored to keep any drive going the last FIVE years.

If you remember in year 1 the O was horrid in the first half every game because Dino was running his system. Then in the 2nd half we would sling it around and look decent. Outside of VA Tech and Pitt we did not look like a decent O.

Year 2 did we look good outside of the Clemson game?

Year 3 was pretty good although IMO most of it was Dungey improve.

Year 4 we just had Duke.

This year we think of GA Tech being good but in reality it wasn't. We are just used to seeing really bad.

We have had a lot of bad O the last five years. Even with decent talent years 1-3. If this year was an outlier you could chalk it up to injuries. When you add in the lack of talent on O, we get the last 16 games of ineptitude.

Last year we were playing freshmen on the offensive line.

I just don't know what the identity of this team is, primarily offensively. Defensively it seems to be to generate turnovers but that is often largely a statistic that can't be depended on year in and year out. I can't figure out how we are trying to beat people offensively. They seemingly say that it is speed but we really don't run the offense quickly. We lack any sort of power up front. The play calling has been largely uninspired, although we had a few decent ones today but we turned away from them after the 1st half. Our best match-ups we have every week are our tight ends and we don't much utilize them. I can't figure out what we're trying to do. We aren't even disciplined.

I also want to know how Sean Tucker wasn't even on the depth chart to start the season. He has been a major bright spot on our offense and has opened things up immensely for the offense so far. Jordan was too small to run between the tackles and is better in space but we were running him like the opposite. Markenzy hasn't proven to be a solid RB and didn't show much weeks 1 and 2 (or in the past). It baffles me that Sean Tucker, who Dino apparently said has Marcus Allen track speed, was nowhere to start the season. How was that missed?

The fact that so much time is dedicated to shielding the offense from the media/fans in the summer and there are still gripes about too much film on the team aggravates me to no end. Teams will watch the games and figure out what you're doing. It is on the coaches and team to either execute better or adjust and we are doing neither of those things. The 8 months of silence during the off-season does not generate fan interest and the empty platitudes about believing without seeing has worn thin. At some point it will shift towards delusion, if it has not already.

Dino will be here through next year no matter what. He has basically 15 months to turn it around and I'd like for him to start it by deciding what he wants this team to look like at its best because I'm missing what the vision is. There isn't a lot to be excited about right now.

I still am stuck on how is it possible we have so many injuries every year? Even in the 10 win season we endured our fair share or more. I do think with a healthy core we are better, not sure how much better. That said there has to be a formula that is failing for injuries to be consistently a problem..

I just don't know what the identity of this team is, primarily offensively. Defensively it seems to be to generate turnovers but that is often largely a statistic that can't be depended on year in and year out. I can't figure out how we are trying to beat people offensively. They seemingly say that it is speed but we really don't run the offense quickly. We lack any sort of power up front. The play calling has been largely uninspired, although we had a few decent ones today but we turned away from them after the 1st half. Our best match-ups we have every week are our tight ends and we don't much utilize them. I can't figure out what we're trying to do. We aren't even disciplined.

I also want to know how Sean Tucker wasn't even on the depth chart to start the season. He has been a major bright spot on our offense and has opened things up immensely for the offense so far. Jordan was too small to run between the tackles and is better in space but we were running him like the opposite. Markenzy hasn't proven to be a solid RB and didn't show much weeks 1 and 2 (or in the past). It baffles me that Sean Tucker, who Dino apparently said has Marcus Allen track speed, was nowhere to start the season. How was that missed?

The fact that so much time is dedicated to shielding the offense from the media/fans in the summer and there are still gripes about too much film on the team aggravates me to no end. Teams will watch the games and figure out what you're doing. It is on the coaches and team to either execute better or adjust and we are doing neither of those things. The 8 months of silence during the off-season does not generate fan interest and the empty platitudes about believing without seeing has worn thin. At some point it will shift towards delusion, if it has not already.

Dino will be here through next year no matter what. He has basically 15 months to turn it around and I'd like for him to start it by deciding what he wants this team to look like at its best because I'm missing what the vision is. There isn't a lot to be excited about right now.

The vision:

I agree with you and I hope John Whildhack is having the same conversation with Dino.

With an undergrad population 30% of SU’s and higher academic standards Wake Forest seems to be able to do this year after year.

Wake Forest has had the benefit of ACC money for a long time.

Wake Forest has had the benefit of ACC money for a long time.
That must be it. That and their outdoor stadium seating 31,500, average home attendance of 27,000 (many opposing team fans), indoor facility that opened after SU’s and coach from Bowling Green.

You make my point. WE talk about it. Not players, recruits, the networks or opposing fans. It happened and its over. This happens in all sports, but as I said, Liberty is not a pile of crap. History will prove we have had worse losses by far.
Do you know for sure recruits from Ohio didn’t/don’t say “no way I’m going to play for a team that can’t beat Akron? Yes we Delone “punch ‘em out” C but who else?

Do you know for sure opposing coaches aren’t going to say to recruits not to go play for a team that can’t beat Liberty?

Liberty might go undefeated and actually be a great team. But that’s what ppl said about Maryland last year too.

Do you know for sure recruits from Ohio didn’t/don’t say “no way I’m going to play for a team that can’t beat Akron? Yes we Delone “punch ‘em out” C but who else?

Do you know for sure opposing coaches aren’t going to say to recruits not to go play for a team that can’t beat Liberty?

Liberty might go undefeated and actually be a great team. But that’s what ppl said about Maryland last year too.
100% coaches will use that loss against us with recruits

I agree with you and I hope John Whildhack is having the same conversation with Dino.
I hope he’s not.

Look, the job of the AD is to give a coach all the tools and resources he needs to be successful. The job of the AD is to regularly evaluate the state of a program, and determine if the coach is meeting expectations.

What an AD’s job is *not* is to micromanage stuff he has no training or experience in. Wildhack is not a football coach, and has never been a football coach. He employs someone to perform that task. He should not be dictating what kind of offense the coach is running, and I’m sure he is not.

We could end the year with one win and odds are dino does not get canned, financially it'd kill them, we'd be paying probably 6 million in head coaches salary, basically a million bucks a win. I think he's done a terrible job but he will probably get next year, the results are putrid but watching the games are even worse.
Next coach doesn't need a gimmick, win 6 games the dome will be mostly full and fan engagement way up, look at what sam pittmans done at arkansas, no gimmick just good coaching.

Let's see how good of an AD wildhack is, dino knows if he's canned after 1-2 wins he's probably never getting another P5 HC job, pull an auburn and gus malazahn and make him give back some of the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom