Dino's Presser after Liberty

Dinkyspond

(Hal) Cohen - (Marty) Headd backcourt
Maybe it's because of Zoom but Dino looks worn out and tired, he's got circles under his eyes. When he came here, I was surprised he was in is 50s, he looked a lot younger. I don't remember him having gray hair but it's starting to gray up. This job is taking a toll on him. It's too bad because I thought he had the program trending up and in the right direction and we would hold him in high esteem like Coach Mac. I'm hoping he can turn it around, I like him.

Briancuse

Living Legend
Here is the formula. We have to schedule real soft in the OOC portion. Stay healthy, get some wins and some momentum and then grab a few wins in the ACC. The result, hopefully 7 wins and better recruiting.
We scheduled a team that's been playing fbs football for two years who else is out there?

Bayside44

That's an interesting point, a normal recruiting class from that year (2016) would have a bunch of RS Seniors still playing right now right?

I'm not a recruitnik like others here, but yeah I would think so.

Newhouser

All Conference
He won, but with a very specific set of circumstances (a dynamic senior QB, to start). The baffling thing is that I have no idea what he wants his program to be at this point, and we’re in year 5. It’s difficult for me to see how next season isn’t going to be make or break.
That's a great point? What are we? We don't play fast, we aren't physical, we aren't intricate...what is our calling card? We hang out hat on lack of discipline. Injured, under performing whatever...discipline falls on Dino.

jgeorge322

Hall of Fame
No. But we aren't a 10 win program. And if we recruited like one, even if it was just for one year, those kids would play more and I imagine would have more impact than a player at a typical 10 win school. We should have made more mileage out of that 10 win season. It's really like it didn't happen. this years recruits, coming off of 5 wins, are a better class.
i suppose so, if we our line wasnt a disaster at the beginning of last year, we wouldve made a bowl game and everyone would have a very different view of the program. Wed be chalking this year up as a fluke due to injuries and the shortened camp. But instead, ppl are restless.

alphaorange

Starter
No but we’ll probably be the only ACC team that lost with FCS players on the team
Again, besides the super fans here, who really cares? Anyone who really expected much from this year has only themselves to blame for their ulcers. Considering how little was really at stake, its not like the BBall team losing to Vermont in the tourney. THAT mattered. THIS doesn't.

SUforme

All Conference
Again, besides the super fans here, who really cares? Anyone who really expected much from this year has only themselves to blame for their ulcers. Considering how little was really at stake, its not like the BBall team losing to Vermont in the tourney. THAT mattered. THIS doesn't.
This matters to more than just the fans.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Oddly, I love Perry Mason. I actually have some old Perry Mason episodes (that I have never seen) on dvr
I have the whole series. I tried watching the HBO series they had on recently but i didn't recognize 'Perry Mason' and gave up on it. it seemed like they wanted to draw PM fans in by naming one of their characters that but it wasn't him.

Scooch

Living Legend
i suppose so, if we our line wasnt a disaster at the beginning of last year, we wouldve made a bowl game and everyone would have a very different view of the program. Wed be chalking this year up as a fluke due to injuries and the shortened camp. But instead, ppl are restless.
The staff made a very bad choice in terms of their annual OL 5th year transfer last season. It killed the line for 8 weeks. And it’s not good that we were desperate to bring in a 5th year transfer in year 4. Dino’s QB and OL whiffs might doom him.

FasterCuse

2nd String
That's going to be a problem... No one outside this forum, is going to even know the extent of the injuries, opt outs, and other misfortunes we've had this year. They are going to see the record and say, "typical Syracuse, they suck again, I'm glad we're a basketball school." Then the season ticket sales dry up and the cycle starts again. We need to find a coach who knows how to recruit, because that's all it takes in college football.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I think the miss is the recruiting the year after the 10 win season. My late father used to tell me (over and over and over again) you strike the iron while it's hot. In that case, my dad would have been right. We needed a year where we recruited like a 10 win program. And we didn't.
And Coach Mac said that a successful year impacts the class you are beginning to recruit rather than the one you are finishing up.

Last edited:

Bulldog04

Starter
Maybe it's because of Zoom but Dino looks worn out and tired, he's got circles under his eyes. When he came here, I was surprised he was in is 50s, he looked a lot younger. I don't remember him having gray hair but it's starting to gray up. This job is taking a toll on him. It's too bad because I thought he had the program trending up and in the right direction and we would hold him in high esteem like Coach Mac. I'm hoping he can turn it around, I like him.
I literally thought the same thing. He doesn’t want to have that moxy and seems beat. The guy lives and breathes football and this must be very difficult for him but I don’t feel too bad for guys that make 3 million a year to be very awful at their job

SWC75

Bored Historian
That's an interesting point, a normal recruiting class from that year (2016) would have a bunch of RS Seniors still playing right now right?

That's a reason to be reluctant to change coaches. the new guy has to assemble a staff, try to convince players and recruits to stay and re-establish relationships that were severed by the firing. it usually results in a gap in your recruiting that shows up a few years later.

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
That's a reason to be reluctant to change coaches. the new guy has to assemble a staff, try to convince players and recruits to stay and re-establish relationships that were severed by the firing. it usually results in a gap in your recruiting that shows up a few years later.
I’m not advocating for anything (Dino’s big test year will be next year), but I don’t even care about this theory anymore. The mid to lower tier teams just cycle through coaches anyway. You can use the looser transfer rules to try to fill in the gaps. It’s the last thing I’d worry about after unsuccessful seasons.

Last edited:

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
People have been overrating our incoming recruiting classes for 20 years and running. Maybe this one will be finally hit, who knows?
Its the exact same things Shafer apologists said about his classes. The reality is, everyone outside of SU fans rank our teams near the bottom of the ACC every year. There’s no reason to believe they are wrong.

BrooklynCuse

Walk On
We lost to a team with FCS players. And we lost bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom