dion being dion | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

dion being dion

Dion is supposed to meet with the Lakers tomorrow, last I heard. As both a Lakers and Cuse fan, I hope it happens. Dion played a big role for that OKC team that went to game 7 of the WCF a few years ago. Would love to see that version of Dion give the Lakers a spark off the bench, if he can still bring that which if healthy I think he can.

Lakers just waived Troy Daniels...
759A3854-45F3-44CC-BC9A-9DD1BE4B2315.gif

Dion is supposed to meet with the Lakers tomorrow, last I heard. As both a Lakers and Cuse fan, I hope it happens. Dion played a big role for that OKC team that went to game 7 of the WCF a few years ago. Would love to see that version of Dion give the Lakers a spark off the bench, if he can still bring that which if healthy I think he can.
How crazy would it be that Dion becomes the first SU player to win an NBA championship

The best thing Dion can do is to go to a winning environment, behave, be professional, practice hard, and 100% embrace what could well be a garbage time role for this year, This could earn him another contact which he could build off next year. Going in with an expectation or even ambition of having a real minute role this year is almost certainly going to lead him astray and probably be the final straw of his career.

He doesn't need this experience to show he can play NBA basketball. He needs this experience to show he can be a pro. If he gets a rotational or near rotational role that is simply a bonus.

Last edited:
The best thing Dion can do is to go to a winning environment, behave, be professional, practice hard, and 100% embrace his almost certain to be garbage time role for this year, This could earn him another contact which he could build off next year. What's most important for him is to establish himself as a professional again. Going in with an expectation or ambition of having a real minute role this year is almost certainly going to lead him astray and probably be the final straw of his career.

He doesn't need this experience to show he can play NBA basketball. He needs this experience to show he is a pro.
While I agree in principle. If they sign him he is going to play. The Lakers +/- when Lebron is on the court verse when he is off the court is stark. (I believe the biggest in the league for example tonight Ledron was a +22 and they only won by 8)

They have real problems defending quick guards and wings, and their aging guards are showing their age. (Rondo, Bradley, Green)

They haven't beaten the Clippers yet, they struggled against Boston, lost last night to Memphis where Ja exposed their weakness against quick guards. 10-15mins a game more with certain match-ups.

You don't bring him in not to play him, it a veteran team and he is known hot head.

While I agree in principle. If they sign him he is going to play. The Lakers +/- when Lebron is on the court verse when he is off the court is stark. (I believe the biggest in the league for example tonight Ledron was a +22 and they only won by 8)

They have real problems defending quick guards and wings, and their aging guards are showing their age. (Rondo, Bradley, Green)

They haven't beaten the Clippers yet, they struggled against Boston, lost last night to Memphis where Ja exposed their weakness against quick guards. 10-15mins a game more with certain match-ups.

You don't bring him in not to play him, it a veteran team and he is known hot head.

Fair enough point.

He will play to start. But more likely than not, it will not be sustained and he will go deeper into the bench. That is not an anti-Dion thing, it is more the reality of what happens with most buyouts. Teams take a chance with them, and more often than not for whatever reason they end up not relying that heavily on them. There are excpetions -- Enes Kanter played alot for Portland last year.

So we have two positive scenarios:
1) He gets minutes to start and keeps them
2) He gets minutes to start because a team is desperate, it doens't work and he still acts as a professional afterwards.

For anyone that wants to accuse me of moving goalposts. Don't worry about it -- I know I did.

I noted that Dion is still being considered for the Lakers in articles today.

I thought the deadline to sign a bought out player was March 1... at least if you wanted them to be eligible for the playoffs. You could sign them after March 1 but they would be ineligible for the playoffs.

I suspect I am misinterpreting the rule and if anybody can clarify it would be great.

I noted that Dion is still being considered for the Lakers in articles today.

I thought the deadline to sign a bought out player was March 1... at least if you wanted them to be eligible for the playoffs. You could sign them after March 1 but they would be ineligible for the playoffs.

I suspect I am misinterpreting the rule and if anybody can clarify it would be great.
You are. The buy out deadline and the add/drop deadline are two different things. Lakers don't play until Sunday so it should be decided by then.

Add/drop deadline is several weeks away

See where I made my error - I had read it is a buyout must sign by March 1 with a new team.

But the actual rule is the following:
"If a player is bought out after March 1, he can sign with someone else but he would be ineligible for the playoffs."

In Dion's case he was bough out before March 1 so it does not apply.

So much talent, hope Dion gets it together and practices moderation with the edibles.

It helps that Dion's former agent is the Lakers' gm, but I'm sure Dion's been told he's on a short leash. I have to believe LeBron and others had to sign off on this, as they did with Dwight Howard, who appears to have handled himself like a model citizen and has been a great fit on the court.

So now Dion, a lottery pick who I thought had a chance at one point to evolve into another Dwyane Wade, joins a team with the GOAT -- undrafted, G-League grad Alex Caruso. Quite a career contrast.
Hope this is the start of Dion salvaging his NBA career. He possibly couldn't have asked for a better situation in what up till now has been a turrible season that, I thought, might've led to him joining Lance Stephenson in China.

So much talent, hope Dion gets it together and practices moderation with the edibles.

It helps that Dion's former agent is the Lakers' gm, but I'm sure Dion's been told he's on a short leash. I have to believe LeBron and others had to sign off on this, as they did with Dwight Howard, who appears to have handled himself like a model citizen and has been a great fit on the court.

So now Dion, a lottery pick who I thought had a chance at one point to evolve into another Dwyane Wade, joins a team with the GOAT -- undrafted, G-League grad Alex Caruso. Quite a career contrast.
Hope this is the start of Dion salvaging his NBA career. He possibly couldn't have asked for a better situation in what up till now has been a turrible season that, I thought, might've led to him joining Lance Stephenson in China.

That's the kind of sequence that seems to happen every year for the Patriots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom