Dion opted out of contract. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion opted out of contract.

I guess I'll be that guy, he was better last year, but I'm not sure he'd classify as even good. Barely over 50% true shooting, PER under 15. Real plus minus essentially has him as a net average. (That's an improvement, he was -1.85 per 100 the year before)
Wins speak. The team was playoff calibre with him and blew it without him. Waiters is what they need.

I guess I'll be that guy, he was better last year, but I'm not sure he'd classify as even good. Barely over 50% true shooting, PER under 15. Real plus minus essentially has him as a net average. (That's an improvement, he was -1.85 per 100 the year before)

He had two good months this year.

I do think he gets a solid contract offer this season though. I just don't think it'll be in the $15 million range that some are expecting. I'm guessing roughly $8-10 million per year.

I do think he gets a solid contract offer this season though. I just don't think it'll be in the $15 million range that some are expecting. I'm guessing roughly $8-10 million per year.
I want to work in an industry where I have to settle for 8 to 10 million...I also agree with you. I think a lot of teams are going to be cautious about spending a lot when someone might not be the first or second option.

2 good months is an understatement he led them alongside Whiteside on a season defining win streak/turnaround and it became clear his presence was missed when they played themselves out of contention during his injury. He had an incredible 2 months.

He got off to a bad start, and then got hurt.

But then he had a stretch where he was playing very well and the Heat went on a roll. Then he got hurt again, unfortunately. He was certainly a big part of that roll they got on though.

I dont think an outside team will acknowledge what he did this year to the extent that Pat Riley should. If hes going to make big bucks it will be with miami.

2 good months is an understatement he led them alongside Whiteside on a season defining win streak/turnaround and it became clear his presence was missed when they played themselves out of contention during his injury. He had an incredible 2 months.

Dragic was a huge factor too. Him and Waiters' games seem to compliment each other very well.

Waiters wasn't the best fit alongside Irving or Westbrook. Waiters seemed to be at his best in OKC when he was in with the second unit and could be a playmaker. Also his best run in Cleveland came late in his second season when Irving was out injured.

That's great and all, but we're still talking about 17 games in which he didn't play at a pretty terrible level.

Overall for the season, he was okay at best. Below average scoring efficiency along with below average defense.

That's great and all, but we're still talking about 17 games in which he didn't play at a pretty terrible level.

Overall for the season, he was okay at best. Below average scoring efficiency along with below average defense.

one good playoff series got Jerome James paid. What kind of team would give him a 5 year deal anyway?

one good playoff series got Jerome James paid. What kind of team would give him a 5 year deal anyway?

aptopix-liberty-thomas-basketball.jpg

Its dumbfounding to me that the Dion dislikers are still in the ranks so many years later. A lot of the same people who have previously predicted, with vigor, he'd be out of the league by now.

The reality is he had his best season ever in the NBA. 2nd highest FG%, highest 3%, highest MPG, highest reb%, highest career PER, highest assist%, best WS/48 and a .507 TS%.

Btw, he did all of this while being in the best shape of his life and still only 25 years old.

The floor for him in FA is $10 million per year and it's likely he's getting more.

Its dumbfounding to me that the Dion dislikers are still in the ranks so many years later. A lot of the same people who have previously predicted, with vigor, he'd be out of the league by now.

The reality is he had his best season ever in the NBA. 2nd highest FG%, highest 3%, highest MPG, highest reb%, highest career PER, highest assist%, best WS/48 and a .507 TS%.

Btw, he did all of this while being in the best shape of his life and still only 25 years old.

The floor for him in FA is $10 million per year and it's likely he's getting more.

Don't think anybody predicted him out of the league. I always loved Dion and have nothing but gratitude for his sophomore year as that may have been my favorite Cuse regular season to watch. The NBA criticism was fair, his advanced metrics were BAD. He was and is still so young and there is obviously a ton of talent with him so he is going to get chances. Out of the league, no way and whomever said it is almost as crazy as the 72 Gobert comparison. If it was said at all.

I mean, up until this season, it was impossible to argue that he's been anything but bad in the NBA. Even this season (which I agree was by far the best he's played to this point in his career), he had a pathetic TS% as you pointed out, a PER that would suggest he's a below average NBA player, and BPM in the negatives (though he at least got it close to 0 for the first time in his career).

He was awesome for one month and pretty good for another, but that's really it. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets more than $10 million, but that doesn't mean it would be a good contract either.

Reading back through some old Dion threads... it's hilarious.

"Dions not a lock for the first round...just seems rational to stick around and try to play himself into a lottery pick."

"i'm just afraid Dion is D league bound if he jumps. then passport time."

"well what i'm implying here is he'll be matching up against team OLYMPIAKOS"

"Still, in the long run, the better decision I think would be to stay in school and develope as a player and person"

Last edited:
Reading back through sold old Dion threads... it's hilarious.

"Dions not a lock for the first round...just seems rational to stick around and try to play himself into a lottery pick."

"Still, in the long run, the better decision I think would be to stay in school and develope as a player and person"

When was this?

Also how do you search back for old threads?

Reading back through sold old Dion threads... it's hilarious.

LOL. Did you really search for those or just cut and paste from Lydon's thread and change the name to Dion. (or any other kids thread that left early) Our fan base does seem to have a collection of seriously butt hurt posters every time a kid leaves early for the NBA. I wonder if its the same on every teams forum.

Dion is also responsible for the best players tribune article ever, so there is that.
Didn't see that before, awesome. Thanks.

Dion has all-star potential, hope he reaches it. Seems like he's on his way.

He's no MCW.

Imagine how much he would have gotten if he stayed in college another year. Am I right briancuse.

Not to defend a Cowboy fan but in fairness Dion Waiter's thighs are bigger than Mali - guy was fully developed when he jumped. Even though he had to sit behind Triche. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom