Dion opted out of contract. | Syracusefan.com

Dion opted out of contract.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Gonna make some good coin. Be interesting to see how many suitors for his services.

I hope he has a good agent. Now is his time.

He made a smart move. Everyone got paid last off-season, and less big free agents out there now. He has shown that he's worth a big deal. He's gonna get paid, and deserves to.

Dont see him leaving Riley by choice.

So help me god if dion's made into the next nightmare chapter of the Knicks...

Pat Riley's got to put up the money.

So help me god if dion's made into the next nightmare chapter of the Knicks...

Pat Riley's got to put up the money.
If he's not smart enough to see what he would get into there he deserves what he will get.

There were some on this forum who scoffed at the shot this kid was taking on himself. He believed, and it looks like its gonna pay off. Good for him!

What shot? He got a little screwed by the timing of when the thunder pulled their offer, this was pretty much the only contract offer he got, no? I don't remember him turning down a larger offer, I could be mistaken though

Downside is that there's nowhere near as much money to go around this offseason, but his stock should be much higher this time around. People thought he was going to get a big contract last offseason based on a couple good postseason games; this time around he actually had a pretty decent season.

Downside is that there's nowhere near as much money to go around this offseason, but his stock should be much higher this time around. People thought he was going to get a big contract last offseason based on a couple good postseason games; this time around he actually had a pretty decent season.
Which teams do you think will be interested? Part of me is concerned that teams will look at what happened last year with free agents like Evan Turner. On the other hand, he's only 25 and had his best 3 point shooting season. Hopefully, my concerns turn out to be no big deal and he cashes in.

Which teams do you think will be interested? Part of me is concerned that teams will look at what happened last year with free agents like Evan Turner. On the other hand, he's only 25 and had his best 3 point shooting season. Hopefully, my concerns turn out to be no big deal and he cashes in.

I would think Dion is looking for at least $10 million per year this offseason; whether or not he gets it is up for debate, but teams that are expected to have that kind of cap space available are:

Boston (no chance)
Brooklyn (probably)
Chicago
Dallas (won't be their first option but I could see Cuban looking at him if they strike out on bigger targets)
Denver (no)
Indiana (no)
Lakers (no)
Miami (probably)
Minnesota (no)
New York (possibly?)
Orlando (depends on if they view Hezonja as a lost cause yet)
Philly (probably)
Phoenix (no)
Sacramento (no)

As you can see based on my notes, I'd say the most likely from this bunch is Brooklyn, Miami, Philly, and maybe New York or Dallas. I think he probably re-signs with Miami when it's all said and done.

Dion will get 4 years 68 million from somebody. That is what Evan Turner got.

Dion will try for the max. I read an article where Rob Pelinka likes Dion and the Lakers have 22 million in cap space.

There were some on this forum who scoffed at the shot this kid was taking on himself. He believed, and it looks like its gonna pay off. Good for him!

That's a bit of revisionist history!

Free Agency came and went without Dion getting any hits. He was basically forced into signing that deal. It just happened to work out for him.

Free Agency came and went without Dion getting any hits. He was basically forced into signing that deal. It just happened to work out for him.

Right. He didn't sign the Thunder's offer and when they pulled it, free agency was almost over. The deal he took in Miami wasn't him betting on himself, it was him taking what was probably the best offer he had at that point.

Fair enough, and I stand corrected.
But I still submit there were many naysayers who never saw this day coming, granted DW gave folks plenty of reasons to scoff at him.
In any case, I hope that Dion has matured to the point where he takes full advantage of his hard work.

Hope he stays in Miami. I think his success is directly related to whether he has someone that he respects pushing him. Pat Riley has the clout to do it.
Don't discoutn Erik Spolestra's place in the equation that has led to Dion's success the last year. The guy is a hell of a coach. They were 11-30 this year and reeling after the loss of Chris Bosh. And they ended up at 41-41 and missed the playoffs by one game. Dion had something to do with that, but Spoe was special.

Don't discoutn Erik Spolestra's place in the equation that has led to Dion's success the last year. The guy is a hell of a coach. They were 11-30 this year and reeling after the loss of Chris Bosh. And they ended up at 41-41 and missed the playoffs by one game. Dion had something to do with that, but Spoe was special.
Yeah, I don't know much about him. I'm sure he's legit or Riley would've cut him loose by now. I was more refering to Riley's ability to command respect and intimidate than anything. I think DW needs someone like that. Maybe Spolestra has it too, I just figured Riley has the legendary history to back it up.

I'm not sure there were many great opportunities for Dion last year. GM's were not opening the cheque book like some predicted.

He was forced to bet on himself and he won. Kudos to him -- especially more impressive given that his first quarter of the year was still very much a struggle. He didn't give up and put it all together playing a fairly high usage role on a mid level team.

Many teams blew their cap space last season as soon as it was handed to them. Some still question his attitude. But I have no doubt that he will have maybe 3 or 4 serious suitors and that will ensure he gets paid well.

I'm not sure there were many great opportunities for Dion last year. GM's were not opening the cheque book like some predicted.

He was forced to bet on himself and he won. Kudos to him -- especially more impressive given that his first quarter of the year was still very much a struggle. He didn't give up and put it all together playing a fairly high usage role on a mid level team.

Many teams blew their cap space last season as soon as it was handed to them. Some still question his attitude. But I have no doubt that he will have maybe 3 or 4 serious suitors and that will ensure he gets paid well.

Cheque??

is-this-meme-racist-full.jpg

In all seriousness though, definitely a good analysis of what happened last free agency season. Hopefully Dion gets paid this offseason, but also, I hope that he lands in a good situation for himself. Really want him to succeed in the league.

I guess I'll be that guy, he was better last year, but I'm not sure he'd classify as even good. Barely over 50% true shooting, PER under 15. Real plus minus essentially has him as a net average. (That's an improvement, he was -1.85 per 100 the year before)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom