Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman

Regarding NIL dealings. Adam is exceptionally open. If you don’t realize that, it is worthless to discuss anything further on the subject with you.

I do agree it is too bad Chris didn’t at least mention what is going on with NIL at other schools and ran tat by his team of experts.

That would have made his article a lot more insightful and worthwhile to read.
He’s open in that he talks about it Publicly. That doesn’t mean there are other things. Adam l-o-v-e-s attention. From all angles. No matter where.

Look, we all root for Syracuse, but that doesn’t mean we cannot question some of the things going on given 1) Adam is…interesting, 2) Syracuse changed NIL policies during this.

We also should realize this is a national not isolated macro issue. As someone that has done eight super minor NIL deals, I’ll also take a little benefit of th out knowledge here. This is the sketchiest business legal thing I’ve ever seen and yet, I’m super excited for something we are launching at Baylor on Feb 21.

In other words, feel free to stop “discussing this any further” but I‘m not the troll on this one.

He’s open in that he talks about it Publicly. That doesn’t mean there are other things. Adam l-o-v-e-s attention. From all angles. No matter where.

Look, we all root for Syracuse, but that doesn’t mean we cannot question some of the things going on given 1) Adam is…interesting, 2) Syracuse changed NIL policies during this.

We also should realize this is a national not isolated macro issue. As someone that has done eight super minor NIL deals, I’ll also take a little benefit of th out knowledge here. This is the sketchiest business legal thing I’ve ever seen and yet, I’m super excited for something we are launching at Baylor on Feb 21.

In other words, feel free to stop “discussing this any further” but I‘m not the troll on this one.
Agree NIL as it has developed to date is sketchy as hell. Boosters paying teenagers hundreds of thousands of dollars to do essentially nothing, as long as it is done where their favorite sports program is located, is pay for play. It should be illegal. Period.

If it must exist, it should be done in the open.

It is my opinion that Adam tried far harder to make his NIL deals for HS recruits legal than any other booster involved in this. If what he did is unacceptable, I question if NIL for HS recruits can be done legally period.

I respect you trying so hard to defend your friend. I am done discussing this.

The local (Raleigh) newspaper came after UNC hard on the academic fraud scandal; there was even a book I believe by their reporters. UNC even in the face of horrible facts went back all out against the NCAA and prevailed. That’s the approach SU should take If necessary.
The key was the courses were available for all students. It was a good piece of lawyering.

The point is every school has boosters doing it so maybe that just might be a good thing to bring up instead of composing an op ed piece that gives an opinion Syracuse is breaking the rules. Either report or write an editorial. Not this half assed middle ground sht. And you wonder why people have issues with media. And now everyone should understand why JB doesn't give the PS the time of day for certain breaking pieces.

The key was the courses were available for all students. It was a good piece of lawyering.
I‘m doing this from memory but I think there was substantial evidence most players didn’t bother going to class or handing in assignments, which was fine with the department head, so even better lawyering.
After reading I gave my copy of the book to a UNC grad and fan.

Agree NIL as it has developed to date is sketchy as hell. Boosters paying teenagers hundreds of thousands of dollars to do essentially nothing, as long as it is done where their favorite sports program is located, is pay for play. It should be illegal. Period.

It is my opinion that Adam tried far harder to make his NIL deals for HS recruits legal than any other booster involved in this. If what he did is unacceptable, I question if NIL for HS recruits can be done legally period.

I love your passion.

With all the NIL mayhem going on, when a booster very publicly puts recruits on a private plane with celebrities and is open about it, that openness will draw attention. NIL is an anarchy-filled poopshow. But making it, at times, a circus is going to draw an article, or two, or three.

Not that it matters, not buds with the author and titling the thread a discussion and then saying end of discussion due to someone seeing the other side…doesn’t seem like you. Perhaps the title should be “Agree with me: PS Article on NIL”?

Posted with love and passion, Tom.

Because the sport depends on a semblance of parity.

Does it?

Even the NBA has a salary cap and a reverse draft.

The NBA is arguably the least parity driven league in sports.

Furthermore, with unlimited NIL, amateur collegiate athletics becomes professional.

Amateurism is a myth and has been longer than I’ve been alive. Now it’s simply out in the open. And even if it wasn’t a myth, why should I wax nostalgic about a bunch of old coaches and execs making millions off the backs of poors?

Because the sport depends on a semblance of parity. Even the NBA has a salary cap and a reverse draft. Furthermore, with unlimited NIL, amateur collegiate athletics becomes professional.
What do you think the blue bloods have been doing for decades. Ffs it was widely known that UCLA was paid more than the Lakers in the 70’s.

Because the sport depends on a semblance of parity. Even the NBA has a salary cap and a reverse draft. Furthermore, with unlimited NIL, amateur collegiate athletics becomes professional.
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

Give me a real professional minor league for hoops and send all of the players that want money and not an education there. Return college basketball to amateur competition among students who happen to want to play a competitive sport while getting their education for free and are willing to do so for that free education.

It should be professional, amateurism is a joke
That is a whole separate discussion in and of itself. Not arguing one way or the other since the discussion points are endless. Just from a personal perspective and an SU sports fan, SU athletics would be relegated to a mid range participant in the world of college sports if we are in a pure pay-for-play scenario. We're small market competing against big markets nationally.

Football is the major generator of revenue. Basketball programs are a distant second. TV money dictates everything financially. Outside money (ie boosters) again puts SU in the middle of the pact. SU's ability to have a competitive payroll would be limited.

Money alone does not even begin to address all the peripheral issues regarding having professional athletes compete in an amateur setting. But it would be an interesting discussion to have,

Last edited:
Give me a real professional minor league for hoops and send all of the players that want money and not an education there. Return college basketball to amateur competition among students who happen to want to play a competitive sport while getting their education for free and are willing to do so for that free education.
Players do leave early to play in the G-League or Europe, it’s kind of a hard pill to swallow that kids would rather play for the Westchester Knicks than the Syracuse Orange, but here we are.

It won’t happen how you want it because nobody watches the Dakota Wizards so Nike will still pay to send kids to Duke.

That’ll make for a pretty mediocre product to the non-super fans but not a bad idea. Not sure why baseball can figure this out and basketball can’t

Does it?

Amateurism is a myth and has been longer than I’ve been alive. Now it’s simply out in the open. And even if it wasn’t a myth, why should I wax nostalgic about a bunch of old coaches and execs making millions off the backs of poors?
Then how do u explain the lowly status of NY and LA?

does anyone see the hilariousness in this thread where some damning pay for play...

and this thread...

where we roll out the tip jar to see how much we pony up to pay for a player

Yeah but in that case he would be coming to Syracuse so it’s ~~**different**~~

A couple of things here. I did talk with Adam this morning at length. I actually spoke to him several times earlier this week, and he noted the new SU NIL "rules." He gave me a lot of insights into this whole thing. He had a lot to say about Chris' article. I plan to talk in greater detail with Adam in the near future to do a comprehensive piece. I'm the first to admit that I have developed a friendship with Adam in recent months, and we trust one another, but at the same time, I've been a long-time journalist and am just speaking my own thoughts here, regardless of my friendship with Adam. The Carlson piece, to me, was imbalanced and involved a ton of speculation. There were inaccuracies in it. It was pretty one-sided. I like Chris and all of the Syracuse.com reporters. So not taking a shot at Chris here. But at the same time, Adam has been very transparent about what he's been doing with NIL. He has a great NIL attorney who advises him. He has gotten all of the rules from SU compliance. I personally think he's playing by the rules, even if those rules are murky to me at best. Also, I feel like since Adam is wealthy and in the spotlight, and he's doing the most out of anyone with NIL in CNY (it's not even close), he's an easy target. I hope to share more soon.
The Carlson piece is just click bait for those naive enough to think there would be anything insightful in it.

Does it?

I would argue MLB is, at least as far as payroll is concerned--hello, Mets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom