Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman

I read the article. Really wish someone who was a better writer tackled the subject.

Carlson stressed the importance of the NCAA rule change that finally allows them to take circumstantial evidence into account when performing investigations and says this could be a big factor in getting Syracuse into trouble with the NCAA.

And ignores the fact that Adam Weitsman has been exceptionally open on everything he is doing from day one.

This, IMHO, is what makes Adam fundamentally different from 99% of the people paying athletes today under the guise of NIL. And it makes the central point of his story, the importance of the policy change to consider circumstantial evidence, essentially moot.

Chris should have been impartial enough to discuss this in his story and should have had the impressive group of experts he interviewed for his story discuss this.

As well as the difficulty Syracuse and all other schools are encountering dealing with the NCAA. He should have discussed how the NCAA ignored NIL for an extended period, the vacuum this bizarre decision caused, and how the lack of oversight and guidance encouraged boosters to do anything they wanted.

Weitsman and other Syracuse boosters got involved in NIL because other schools were using it extensively to get better players on their teams. NIL was making a major impact on the Syracuse basketball program and if Syracuse was to remain competitive, he and others had to do something to level the playing field.

Trying to paint Weitsman as an extreme figure in NIL is easy because he is basically the only one doing this above board. But it is lazy and inaccurate and disingenuous.

Quick hitter - thirty years later and the local rag is still attacking loyal local business people.

No argument there. The NCAA has essentially done nothing with NIL. They didn't get their way and just ignored this entire issue, all the way up to 18 months after it went into effect.

That is what I find bizarre.
No different from the transfer portal situation. There was a year in residence rule that prevented poaching and supported some measure of roster continuity. The NCAA started granting waivers based on a specific set of criteria. They started to stray from those criteria and waivers were granted in what appeared to be random fashion with no consistency whatsoever. NCAA was criticized on that lack of consistency and essentially said

53e6e5d2-6f00-47c5-83ec-31d470eb47f1_text.gif

You really think Weitsman is "fundamentally different from 99% of the people paying athletes..." and "... is basically the only one doing this above board"?

You believe that?
Well, to our knowledge, he didn’t do it when it wasn’t allowed, so that makes him different than most. Also, he appears to have fully vetted it with the AD.

Well, to our knowledge, he didn’t do it when it wasn’t allowed, so that makes him different than most. Also, he appears to have fully vetted it with the AD.

Sorry, do you think he's the only wealthy person that supports a program that is doing it fully legally (or within a reasonable radius of 'legal'), and I use that term loosely?

Again, I want 10 of him. But what is the argument here that AW is somehow a unicorn as it pertains to the NIL?

Nice. Goofy ass GIFs instead of factual discussions pretty much says it all. Adam has over 20 million followers on social media, has helped a significant number of small businessmen and women establish and expand their enterprises, has an incredible network of leaders in virtually any field you can imagine and has started a networking group for young entrepeneurs. My original point is that these facts likely have some value to the young men and women he is engaging with that is pretty unique in this landscape. You have a great library of GIFs.

The one entity that we don't hear anything from is the SU compliance department (and indirectly through them the SU administration). To my understanding AW's involvement is agreed to and scrutinized by SU. If SU were to tell him to cease his activities he would do so. JB gets involved with his opinion, but even that is immaterial. AW is not the issue. SU's decision making process is the only thing that matters.

Why not get ahead of any NCAA issue and let the NCAA know exactly why SU believes what the university is doing (through AW) is acceptable and consistent with NIL guidelines. Make the NCAA know up front and then let them offer any counter opinion (if they have one) before it escalates any further.

Nice. Goofy ass GIFs instead of factual discussions pretty much says it all. Adam has over 20 million followers on social media, has helped a significant number of small businessmen and women establish and expand their enterprises, has an incredible network of leaders in virtually any field you can imagine and has started a networking group for young entrepeneurs. My original point is that these facts likely have some value to the young men and women he is engaging with that is pretty unique in this landscape. You have a great library of GIFs.
I mean...you couldnt be more triggered here.

My initial post was an in jest reaction to the mods blocking all pics of Weistman and Martin Shkreli together

Thats it.

*btw, your head in the sand pic couldnt have been any funnier knowing that you dont know who Shkreli is apparently

I mean...you couldnt be more triggered here.

My initial post was an in jest reaction to the mods blocking all pics of Weistman and Martin Shkreli together

Thats it.

*btw, your head in the sand pic couldnt have been any funnier knowing that you dont know who Shkreli is apparently
Know exactly who Shkreli is. Somehow wasn’t able to make the leap from your GIF that implied to me that a relationship with Weitsman as a mentor can be seen as a positive. For that I apologize.

But words are our friends!

Know exactly who Shkreli is. Somehow wasn’t able to make the leap from your GIF that implied to me that a relationship with Weitsman as a mentor can be seen as a positive. For that I apologize.

But words are our friends!
It’s not a positive. I get why the board is blocking all mentions of it.
there’s a reason we don’t want that pic to get out

It has just been so unfair all these years that the student athletes get tuition, room, and board while the NCAA and members schools raked in hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars. The players needed to get some sort of a fair share one way or the other.

So the solution for the greedy NCAA and the greedy member schools is NIL, so that they still get to keep every penny they were making without having to share with the athletes.

i wish I could find something similar in terms of my personal finances, but I am not that smart.

Factual discussion? The discussion is “Adam’s doing it perfect, everyone else is breaking the rules”. Lol

Factual discussion? The discussion is “Adam’s doing it perfect, everyone else is breaking the rules”. Lol
I am simply saying that it’s conceivable that young recruits may see a relationship with Weitsman as a positive as they seek to build a personal brand. Counterpoint is quixotic GIFs and references to mods hiding a relationship between Weitsman and Shkreli.
The only thing I consider breaking the rules at this point is tampering with players from other schools before they even enter the portal.
And Weitsman and SU are NOT perfect. They were clearly too cautious and conservative and ended up behind the pack in today’s environment

Carlson stressed the importance of the NCAA rule change that finally allows them to take circumstantial evidence into account when performing investigations and says this could be a big factor in getting Syracuse into trouble with the NCAA.

And ignores the fact that Adam Weitsman has been exceptionally open on everything he is doing from day one.
Ironically, IMO AW's exceptional transparency, intentional visibility, interviews, and social media postings confirming his involvement - although fundamentally different from 99% and a clear indication of his belief (and, more importantly, the belief of his lawyers) that he is doing everything above board and within guidelines - seems to provide a flashing neon sign for the NCAA to consider him an EASY target under the new "circumstantial evidence" clause. And once accused, the NCAA in its infinite "wisdom" is declaring that the "burden of proof" is on the university to: "clearly demonstrate that all behaviors complied with NCAA legislation and interim NIL policy."

To be clear, I am not a lawyer, and, at best, I have a superficial understanding of NIL policy. Nor am I suggesting that AW is doing anything impermissible. My only point/fear is that his well intentioned transparency makes him, and by extension SU, a seemingly easy target for the NCCA regardless of his "guilt" or innocence. Creating the illusion of authority and enforcement is in the NCAA wheelhouse. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

It’s not a positive. I get why the board is blocking all mentions of it.
there’s a reason we don’t want that pic to get out
Honestly, our exchange has nothing to do with what the mods do and do not permit, and I am sorry if you take offense to that.

I will say one more thing and bow out.

I can understand how a prospective recruit, who is being told over and over how important it is to build a personal brand, can see a positive value in establishing a relationship where they will be mentored by one of the top social media influencers in the world who has built a following in the tens of millions. It’s fine if you don’t see that value due to other perspectives, but you have to accept that others, whether they are ignorant of other factors or feel they can be offset, do see that value and choose to believe it furthers their interests.

Peace out and Go Orange!

Honestly, our exchange has nothing to do with what the mods do and do not permit, and I am sorry if you take offense to that.

I will say one more thing and bow out.

I can understand how a prospective recruit, who is being told over and over how important it is to build a personal brand, can see a positive value in establishing a relationship where they will be mentored by one of the top social media influencers in the world who has built a following in the tens of millions. It’s fine if you don’t see that value due to other perspectives, but you have to accept that others, whether they are ignorant of other factors or feel they can be offset, do see that value and choose to believe it furthers their interests.

Peace out and Go Orange!
Just to clarify, It wasn't a counterpoint to your post. It was a quip. That's all. No offense to your posts and same this way. Didnt mean to come across as suggesting your point wasnt valid.

I don't doubt Weistman has had a great amount of positive mentorships and a relationship with someone with Weitsman's influence could absolutely be a positive.

Ironically, IMO AW's exceptional transparency, intentional visibility, interviews, and social media postings confirming his involvement - although fundamentally different from 99% and a clear indication of his belief (and, more importantly, the belief of his lawyers) that he is doing everything above board and within guidelines - seems to provide a flashing neon sign for the NCAA to consider him an EASY target under the new "circumstantial evidence" clause. And once accused, the NCAA in its infinite "wisdom" is declaring that the "burden of proof" is on the university to: "clearly demonstrate that all behaviors complied with NCAA legislation and interim NIL policy."

To be clear, I am not a lawyer, and, at best, I have a superficial understanding of NIL policy. Nor am I suggesting that AW is doing anything impermissible. My only point/fear is that his well intentioned transparency makes him, and by extension SU, a seemingly easy target for the NCCA regardless of his "guilt" or innocence. Creating the allusion of authority and enforcement is in the NCAA wheelhouse. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Let’s be clear. There is no indication that the NCAA sees him as an “easy target.” A local journalist is putting forth conjecture that his actions may be what the NCAA is looking to rein in. And in addition to engaging with one of the leading legal authorities on the subject, he also has Mark Wheeler and SU Compliance on speed dial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom