Disgraceful | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Disgraceful

UVA shot 55% from 2 pt range and 75% from 3 pt range.
We didn’t play defense.

We played plenty of D. We had lapses but we played very well in the first half and they shot kights out. In the second half we lost momentum but I would hardly say the outcome of the game was because we played no defense. When guys are hitting threes beyond NBA distance and with two men in their face it’s hard to win. When those shots drop momentum can really swing. Our defense in the last 8 minutes was really bad however.

We played plenty of D. We had lapses but we played very well in the first half and they shot kights out. In the second half we lost momentum but I would hardly say the outcome of the game was because we played no defense. When guys are hitting threes beyond NBA distance and with two men in their face it’s hard to win. When those shots drop momentum can really swing. Our defense in the last 8 minutes was really bad however.
You can think this.
They shot well the whole game. It was. a low possession game. They shot 75% from 3 and you can spin it whatever way you want.
Once we stopped matching buckets with them the game got out of hand.
Our offfense kept us in the game in the first half.
Not our defense.

Thats when you switch to man.

I honestly am OK with it.

A very very good team got red hot against us.

I don't want our season to be defined by ACC wins. In a sense I'm sick of this league. I wish we could skip the ACC tournament and go straight to the fun one. Its a total meat grinder this league.

We have had HT leads in every game against the 3 top dogs this year in the league. We can play with them. They are all very good.

in·con·sist·ent

[ˌinkənˈsist(ə)nt]

ADJECTIVE

1. not staying the same throughout.
    "the quality of the material was often inconsistent"

I honestly am OK with it.

A very very good team got red hot against us.

I don't want our season to be defined by ACC wins. In a sense I'm sick of this league. I wish we could skip the ACC tournament and go straight to the fun one. Its a total meat grinder this league.

We have had HT leads in every game against the 3 top dogs this year in the league. We can play with them. They are all very good.

Them getting red hot is one thing.

We went absolutely ice cold at the same time.

We can’t afford those droughts unless we get lucky enough to play a team that can’t throw a rock in the ocean. These teams that can score...we’ve gotta keep scoring.

We can’t afford those droughts unless we get lucky enough to play a team that can’t throw a rock in the ocean. These teams that can score...we’ve gotta keep scoring.

We played perfect first halfs against all these top teams and had nothing to show for it in terms of a lead be it the refs or UVA hitting everything. Just needed that margin of error so a run by the other team doesn't put you down double digits. Its demoralizing to be dominating a top 5 team for half then game and then a few bad possessions has you down 12 points.

When it rains it seems to pour.

You can think this.
They shot well the whole game. It was. a low possession game. They shot 75% from 3 and you can spin it whatever way you want.
Once we stopped matching buckets with them the game got out of hand.
Our offfense kept us in the game in the first half.
Not our defense.
We gave up 32 points 24 of which were 3 pointers in the first half.

Apparently you never saw them coach. Cheney strictly zone. Playing zone with m2m concepts began with him.
Not true. Mostly Zone but they went match up almost as much.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the we’ve become worse as a program as 3 point shooting has become more prevalent. We never have enough shooting and we struggle to defend the 3 at times. Our teams are still constructed to win games the same way they were 5-10 years ago. Shooting has never been a Syracuse strong suit.

I feel like every mid major team we played from ‘76 - ‘90. They might stay with us for a half or even 3/4 of the game, but ultimately our talent would assert itself and we’d separate from our opponent.

Shoe is on the other foot this year and the last couple. We don’t have the level of talent that we have traditionally had, shouldn’t be a huge surprise when more talented teams beat us.

We gave up 32 points 24 of which were 3 pointers in the first half.

Yup.

A football equivilent to tonight would be having a 24-21 halftime lead. The team with 24 points (us) has 400 rushing and passing yards. The team with 21 has 50 total yards but returned a kickoff for a TD, a punt for a TD, and a fumble for a TD.

We have had nothing to show for these great first halfs for whatever reason and the team wasn't ready to handle the opponents 2nd half runs in each of them.

I'm sick of playing ACC teams I honestly want to beat Clemson just so we can 1 and done out of Charlotte and concentrate on the real tournament vs wasting energy on 3 games in 3 days.

I feel like every mid major team we played from ‘76 - ‘90. They might stay with us for a half or even 3/4 of the game, but ultimately our talent would assert itself and we’d separate from our opponent.

Shoe is on the other foot this year and the last couple. We don’t have the level of talent that we have traditionally had, shouldn’t be a huge surprise when more talented teams beat us.

At the same time Virginia isn’t bringing in great recruiting classes. Outside of Guy nobody on that team is ranked in the top 40. They sure can coach them up though.

Not true. Mostly Zone but they went match up almost as much.

Guess it’s all in your interpretation of what a “matchup” is.

It’s commonly referred to as a “matchup zone”.

Kindve of a combo.

I don’t really recall him playing straight up man to man, unless he did it earlier in his career before my time.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the we’ve become worse as a program as 3 point shooting has become more prevalent. We never have enough shooting and we struggle to defend the 3 at times. Our teams are still constructed to win games the same way they were 5-10 years ago. Shooting has never been a Syracuse strong suit.

Battle and Brissett regressed. It sucks its why this season has been so frustrating.

Eli, Frank, and Buddy shoot it well. Marek doesn't like to shoot hes OK when he does. The centers don't count.

I don't think we are at a huge disadvantage in the NCAAT in terms of three point shooting.

But we are losing in the first round if Battle and Brissett suck regardless of what everyone else does or even what the opponent does IMO. The supporting cast won't be enough.

I'm looking forward to playing P5 teams not from the ACC. We won't get a high enough seed to face a pesky mid major whos game plan is to launch 3s over the zone which is nice.

UVA shot 55% from 2 pt range and 75% from 3 pt range.
We didn’t play defense.
Yes we did, mostly in the first half, they just shot 3's over our D and they almost all went in!

Battle and Brissett regressed. It sucks its why this season has been so frustrating.

Eli, Frank, and Buddy shoot it well. Marek doesn't like to shoot hes OK when he does. The centers don't count.

I don't think we are at a huge disadvantage in the NCAAT in terms of three point shooting.

But we are losing in the first round if Battle and Brissett suck regardless of what everyone else does or even what the opponent does IMO. The supporting cast won't be enough.

I'm looking forward to playing P5 teams not from the ACC. We won't get a high enough seed to face a pesky mid major whos game plan is to launch 3s over the zone which is nice.

Man, you really give Frank the benefit of the doubt in these write-ups.

I’d argue he “regressed” much more than Battle, and define “shoot it well”?

Those guys on Virginia look like they play their hearts out for Bennett. For us well... Every guy except dolezaj seems to try to stat pad

Yes we did, mostly in the first half, they just shot 3's over our D and they almost all went in!

I think the problem with this is - if shooters get comfortable with catching and shooting, you've sort of hit a wall. The options at this point are:

1. Wait for them to regress to their average...as our defensive effort clearly isn't going to take off at any point
  2. Change something...because our defensive effort clearly isn't going to take off at any point

Against UConn, maybe you wait for the regression, they can't shoot. Against UVA, perhaps less likely they regress to their average as they're great shooters feeling pretty comfortable.

It's tough. I'm not a big M2M guy...but I also don't like the, "teams have seen M2M, so why bother," argument.

Discounting the WF game, we've had leads in the games against Duke, UNC and UVA at the half. Blown out in all 3 in the 2nd half. Are the other teams making adjustments at halftime and SU is not? UVA moved Jerome to the foul line in the 2nd half and Chukwu was guarding him beyond the 3-point line when he dribbled out SU made absolutely no adjustments to stop UVA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom