Disgraceful | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Disgraceful

You can think this.
They shot well the whole game. It was. a low possession game. They shot 75% from 3 and you can spin it whatever way you want.
Once we stopped matching buckets with them the game got out of hand.
Our offfense kept us in the game in the first half.
Not our defense.

This is accurate. UVA being sloppy with the ball in the first half too (I think they had 7 or 8 turnovers) contributed to us being in the game at the half. UVA was 8-12 from 3 point range in the first half. They were unconscious from 3 the entire game.

A game plan is a game plan but it can go out the door within 1 minute of game time. Have to be able to adjust.

Everyone is really pi$$ed, but I don't care which SU team D in whatever decade played VA tonight. You can't let your zone go too far out they'll burn you from inside. IMO we were just beaten by the future national champions. VA had a miracle 3 night. The most 3's ever in the DOME. You can't do much about a shot released just beyond the half point line and all of them are going - dropping through the nylon. .72 % of their 3's made
Amazing!

Yup.

A football equivilent to tonight would be having a 24-21 halftime lead. The team with 24 points (us) has 400 rushing and passing yards. The team with 21 has 50 total yards but returned a kickoff for a TD, a punt for a TD, and a fumble for a TD.

We have had nothing to show for these great first halfs for whatever reason and the team wasn't ready to handle the opponents 2nd half runs in each of them.

I'm sick of playing ACC teams I honestly want to beat Clemson just so we can 1 and done out of Charlotte and concentrate on the real tournament vs wasting energy on 3 games in 3 days.

I hear ya. But should we celebrate and hang another banner if we make the Sweet 16? We’re better than that, I thought.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the we’ve become worse as a program as 3 point shooting has become more prevalent. We never have enough shooting and we struggle to defend the 3 at times. Our teams are still constructed to win games the same way they were 5-10 years ago. Shooting has never been a Syracuse strong suit.
I agree with you. But the fact that we’re taking Girard shows we are starting to change. Other than GMac JB is rarely taking a 6’2 elite shooter but an average athlete

I honestly am OK with it.

A very very good team got red hot against us.

I don't want our season to be defined by ACC wins. In a sense I'm sick of this league. I wish we could skip the ACC tournament and go straight to the fun one. Its a total meat grinder this league.

We have had HT leads in every game against the 3 top dogs this year in the league. We can play with them. They are all very good.

This apparent sentiment of yours is directly related to what we have become and have been for the most part in the ACC. A middling, mediocre, middle of the pack team hovering around the .500 mark; 9-9's, 8-10's, 10-8's, etc. I wonder how you'd feel if we were a team consistently finishing in the Top 4 of the league, with records of 14-4, 13-5, 15-3, 16-2, etc. I bet you'd be looking a heck of a lot more forward to the ACC tourney, no different than us in most years looking forward to the Big East Tourney back in the day.

Everyone is really pi$$ed, but I don't care which SU team D in whatever decade played VA tonight. You can't let your zone go too far out they'll burn you from inside. IMO we were just beaten by the future national champions. VA had a miracle 3 night. The most 3's ever in the DOME. You can't do much about a shot released just beyond the half point line and all of them are going - dropping through the nylon. .72 % of their 3's made
Amazing!
they had no one doing jack inside. they had 3 players who could score...should be clear what to do...

face gaurd the 2 shooters and stick someone on hunter...

let them try and score all the 2s they want. they were like 2-10 from 2 in the first half....syr shouldve mae them drive in and score inside...and NOT LEAVE THE SHOOTERS.

literally do NOT LEAVE THEM.

a couple of the 3s were curry-esque...tip your hat...but 75% of the made 3s were WIDE OPEN.

UVA scored on defensive breakdowns...SYR scored on great solo efforts...recipe for disaster.

This apparent sentiment of yours is directly related to what we have become and have been for the most part in the ACC. A middling, mediocre, middle of the pack team hovering around the .500 mark; 9-9's, 8-10's, 10-8's, etc. I wonder how you'd feel if we were a team consistently finishing in the Top 4 of the league, with records of 14-4, 13-5, 15-3, 16-2, etc. I bet you'd be looking a heck of a lot more forward to the ACC tourney, no different than us in most years looking forward to the Big East Tourney back in the day.

That’s a real tossup. The ACC tournament is so lacking compared the Big East tourney. And without a true home base, it’s lost its appeal. If SU won the regular season ACC title, I’d want them to skip the ACC tourney.

Well said

I think the problem with this is - if shooters get comfortable with catching and shooting, you've sort of hit a wall.
Exactly - it’s not really contesting a shooter if they can plant and pop and their shooting motion is unaffected. If we literally let them make 16 2’s from the foul line instead of 16 3’s... then we’re still in the game. I doubt they even hit 70% of those 2’s because it’s a harder shot for most kids nowadays. The zone failed to adapt to these trends years ago. This isn’t 2005 anymore.

Hard not convincing myself half those threes wouldn’t have gone in had we adjusted to man. Our guards were so physically superior to theres and they just toyed with us and shot over the zone if they even had to. UVA had the game of a century vs us but if this were the tournament and we stayed zone the whole game i’d have ripped my hair out

Are the other teams making adjustments at halftime and SU is not? UVA moved Jerome to the foul line in the 2nd half and Chukwu was guarding him beyond the 3-point line when he dribbled out.
I lost my mind when I saw chukwu at the 3 point circle. That was W T F bad.

Hard not convincing myself half those threes wouldn’t have gone in had we adjusted to man. Our guards were so physically superior to theres and they just toyed with us and shot over the zone if they even had to. UVA had the game of a century vs us but if this were the tournament and we stayed zone the whole game i’d have ripped my hair out

Did the guards start their defense from inside the 3 point line the whole game? Just curious if we adjusted to take a step or 3 outside the 3 line just to give them a different look.

Did the guards start their defense from inside the 3 point line the whole game? Just curious if we adjusted to take a step or 3 outside the 3 line just to give them a different look.
At times they met guy and the other kid past the arc. It didnt necessarily matter though with the way they attacked the zone. They passed so efficiently, paired with their inability to miss the corner three... it really was just a perfect storm. Im not mad about this game, I’m just glad I didnt have to put myself through it in the tournament.

We played plenty of D. We had lapses but we played very well in the first half and they shot kights out. In the second half we lost momentum but I would hardly say the outcome of the game was because we played no defense. When guys are hitting threes beyond NBA distance and with two men in their face it’s hard to win. When those shots drop momentum can really swing. Our defense in the last 8 minutes was really bad however.

Players these days routinely hit deep 3s in the era of Steph Curry. The sooner it’s accepted, the better for us. I’m amazed some of us are still shocked when D1 players hit open 3s.

Players these days routinely hit deep 3s in the era of Steph Curry. The sooner it’s accepted, the better for us. I’m amazed some of us are still shocked when D1 players hit open 3s.

It makes the zone strategy less effective for sure. Not sure why coach isn't seeing that, but hey the numbers...

Them getting red hot is one thing.

We went absolutely ice cold at the same time.

We can’t afford those droughts unless we get lucky enough to play a team that can’t throw a rock in the ocean. These teams that can score...we’ve gotta keep scoring.
When it rains it seems to pour.

And I’ll add onto this. We simply rarely play close games. I’m talking, within two possessions down the stretch. Obviously duke qualified. And Georgetown and odu. But basically one acc game has been “close” with 5 minutes left. Win or lose, it’s mostly a 7-10 point game, and usually 15+.

I mean, yeah, they shot lights out, but 3/4 of the three point shots they took tonight were pretty much unguarded. Newsflash: teams that get their great shooters open shots will make those unguarded shots. This isn't 1995 or 2005 basketball anymore, the way the game is played now you HAVE to be able to both make AND defend threes.

The game plan was to take away D Hunter at the foul line and we did an awesome job of that. Only problem was that we didn't adjust the zone once Bennet figured out that we were getting steals on half the entry passes to the foul line.

I mean, yeah, they shot lights out, but 3/4 of the three point shots they took tonight were pretty much unguarded. Newsflash: teams that get their great shooters open shots will make those unguarded shots. This isn't 1995 or 2005 basketball anymore, the way the game is played now you HAVE to be able to both make AND defend threes.

The game plan was to take away D Hunter at the foul line and we did an awesome job of that. Only problem was that we didn't adjust the zone once Bennet figured out that we were getting steals on half the entry passes to the foul line.

So, we were giving up threes to defend foul shots. Awesome. Love it when that happens.

Bennet's a smart guy. I'm guessing that he knew we'd try to do exactly that and baited us into it, allowing his 3-point assassins to do what they do.

that's how it seemed but i think there were a lot defensive breakdowns contributing to the open 3s. Hunter was a key - rightly - but the gaurds especially were doing a bad job of rotating and stopping 3s...

i think the coaches WANTED to not let them shoot 3s but it just didnt play out that way - partly because of sloppy d partly because a perimter guy cant cover 2 people at once - especially if they are good passers - which uva is.

the zone is going to give up 3s regardless...but syr was doing a very poor job of not giving up those shots. 4 or 5 in the first half at least were just bad defensive rotations...thats a 20 point lead with better d at the half. UVA couldnt buy a 2 point shot in the first half...but SYR was letting them jack wide open 3s all game...

Couldn't agree more.

I’ll say this...I thought we didn’t defend the 3 point line well in the first half but the second half was a story of them moving the ball extremely well and then hitting everything. And then there’s our second half offense...woof.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the we’ve become worse as a program as 3 point shooting has become more prevalent. We never have enough shooting and we struggle to defend the 3 at times. Our teams are still constructed to win games the same way they were 5-10 years ago. Shooting has never been a Syracuse strong suit.

kids growing up want to be Steph Curry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom