Displaying banners at the Dome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Displaying banners at the Dome

UConn's choice was pretty easy since all theirs were in the "Final Four has a logo" era. Same with uke. Kansas' simplicity speaks mouthfuls. I think UNC does a good job with theirs since they have deal with the mix of eras that SU would have to consider as well.

Johns Hopkins always talks about how they have over 40 lacrosse championships, not just the 9 NCAA championships. If the only way to determine a champion at the time was a poll, that doesn't make you less of a champion.

Yeah, but if all 5 guys voting for the champion lived in Baltimore should those titles count? ;)

Makes me long for the days of the Blue curtain.
If they can figure out additional portable seating with the renovation to replace some of the farthest long-range seats that were previously blocked by the curtain, then there would be no downside to bringing the curtain back. I think it should be back anyway - the curtain only obstructed the view for crowds that exceeded 33,000.

SU has done a good job livening up the aesthetics of the Dome over the past decade or so, but one area where I think we continue to really struggle is displaying banners to showcase our accomplishments in basketball and football (edit: and lacrosse).

Back in the days of the blue curtain, SU would hang those signs for NCAA appearances, but not Final Fours (very weird). And then for football, we had the bowl appearances written on the padding around the field, which you had to have x-ray vision to read (very weird). And then there's that faded 2003 National Title picture thing with JB/Melo/GMac which just looks like it was whipped up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need classy looking, big bold banners that intimidate visitors. This is how I would organize them...

Basketball banners in one corner of the Dome:
-individual 2003 National Title banner (it should stand out by itself, so something like orange background with white font)
-individual 1975, 1987, 1996, 2013, 2016 Final Four banners (white background with orange font)
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference regular season titles
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference tourney titles
-and if there's room, one banner that consolidates every year we either went to the tourney, or maybe Sweet 16s

Football banners in another corner of the Dome:
-1959 National Title banner with the orange background so it stands out
-individual banners for BCS-level bowl games and/or Big East championships
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we went to a bowl
I agree completely. We need to hang Final Four and NCAA championship banners. You see that at every other elite school. Get on it Wildhack!

Individual Banners for all titles, including Helms, for FB, BB and Lax
Smaller individual Banners for FFs for both BB and Lax and Bowl Games for FB and maybe even the NIT FF
even smaller banners for league and tourney titles
Another single banner (or 2) with NCAA tourney years

FB & Lax stuff could be "behind the curtain"

honored numbers in another section

fimuv.jpg

Indiana has the best set up. Of course that 1987 title banner should be hanging in the Dome instead.

Some of the old bowl games are still on the padding around the football field, and painted on the fascia of one of the levels.

And although they aren’t banners, I believe the other ACC schools are painted along the wall at the top of the lower bowl?

SU has done a good job livening up the aesthetics of the Dome over the past decade or so, but one area where I think we continue to really struggle is displaying banners to showcase our accomplishments in basketball and football (edit: and lacrosse).

Back in the days of the blue curtain, SU would hang those signs for NCAA appearances, but not Final Fours (very weird). And then for football, we had the bowl appearances written on the padding around the field, which you had to have x-ray vision to read (very weird). And then there's that faded 2003 National Title picture thing with JB/Melo/GMac which just looks like it was whipped up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need classy looking, big bold banners that intimidate visitors. This is how I would organize them...

Basketball banners in one corner of the Dome:
-individual 2003 National Title banner (it should stand out by itself, so something like orange background with white font)
-individual 1975, 1987, 1996, 2013, 2016 Final Four banners (white background with orange font)
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference regular season titles
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference tourney titles
-and if there's room, one banner that consolidates every year we either went to the tourney, or maybe Sweet 16s

Football banners in another corner of the Dome:
-1959 National Title banner with the orange background so it stands out
-individual banners for BCS-level bowl games and/or Big East championships
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we went to a bowl

These are all great ideas.

As an aside, I hate the picture they use for 2003. Looks like it was a preseason game with empty bleachers.

I always thought the outside we could hang giant banners inside the creases on the outside of the Dome facing I81.

The more I think about this the more irrationally angry it makes me.

We don't have individual banners for 75, 87, 96, 13, or 16. But we do have...

-A banner for the 2010 Pinstripe Bowl

-A Billy Joel banner

-A banner with a picture of the Statue of Liberty, for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom