Disturbing comments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disturbing comments

This game was not lost on the defensive end, it was lost on the offensive end.

I cannot even remember the last game we lost on the defensive end overall. Every we game we lose these days is because we throw up a stinker on O.

I cannot even remember the last game we lost on the defensive end overall. Every we game we lose these days is because we throw up a stinker on O.

Right. Because defense is strictly measured in points scored. Defense has nothing to do with failure to control tempo, getting outworked for rebounds, failing to help on penetration, trying to cover 2 players simultaneously, or failing to close out possessions to get in transition...

You're right. Defense is going to carry this team with or w/o Melo.

We lost Saturday because we couldnt throw the ball in the ocean. We caused a team that averages 9 turnovers a game to turn it over 17 times. The rebounding would have been a problem in M2M as much as it was zone.

I found JB's comments regarding ND running the shot clock under 10 seconds before running their offense disturbing. He stated that strategy actually helps the zone. Really?

I completely understand that IF we shoot better and/or rebound better that we win that game (maybe easily), but allowing a team with far less talented players dictate tempo seems foolish. ND's ONLY chance to win was to limit the number of possessions and hope that they hit a few hail marys...and they did. Reminded me of the Vermont game.

Unlike a couple of posters here, I'm not a zone hater...I've actually grown to admire the way SU employ's it and believe it's a big advantage in the tourny. BUT, there are times I wish JB would mix in some m2m. Saturday's game was the perfect opportunity to run a few possessions of m2m to pick-up tempo, especially since they were very well prepared for our press and we were rebounding so poorly. Our rebounding would improve greatly with m2m assignments.
If WE made OUR shots, this would be a moot point.

The rebounding would have been a problem in M2M as much as it was zone.

And you know this how? Send me the tape of the alternate reality where we played M2M against Notre Dame and it had no effect.

And you know this how? Send me the tape of the alternate reality where we played M2M against Notre Dame and it had no effect.
Because rebounding is about effort. And if you expend no effort in one defensive form to rebound, you are not magically going to do so in another. If you dont believe me, look at the rebound we lost on goofy's FT.

This game was not lost on the defensive end, it was lost on the offensive end.
Bingo, pfister. I can't believe it took almost two full pages of responses for someone to post the correct answer.

BC, you could not possibly be more incorrect.

Basketball is a very simple game: take high percentage shots and force your opponents to take lower percentage shots and you usually win. That's it, that's the entire secret.

Boeheim's zone is good because (a) it generally induces opponents to take low percentage shots and (b) the variation that JB has developed is very good at producing transition (ie, high percentage) opportunities.

ND took a lot of low percentage shots - a lot of them. To their credit, they hit them (which will happen on occasion). But, to their bigger credit, they played a very disciplined game that limited the number of live ball turnovers, the life blood of the SU offense. The problem with that game has been the issue all season - Syracuse does not have the ability to get high percentage shots in its half court offense.

Right. Because defense is strictly measured in points scored. Defense has nothing to do with failure to control tempo, getting outworked for rebounds, failing to help on penetration, trying to cover 2 players simultaneously, or failing to close out possessions to get in transition...

Defense was not why we lost on Saturday.

44cuse

I'm sure a lot of us would like to see some M2M played sometimes but the reality is it's not going to happen under Coach B. Every since he won it all somewhere he decided that 100% zone is the way to go, and honestly you can't do much arguing with 20-1. For what it's worth that was one game, so lets treat it that way, we are still on top of the big east and still top 5 in the country, plenty of time to figure out how to play with and without Melo.

Only time I will be really disappointed is if we fizzle out in the dance again this year.

If WE made OUR shots, this would be a moot point.
I said as much in my second paragraph...but that doesn't address the issue that we let ND dictate the tempo even after falling behind. The gameplan we saw on Saturday was the ONLY way ND could beat us and JB decided to play along.

I am not sure you can play just one side of the ball or the other. Notre Dame scored 67 points on 62 possessions, that's 1.08 points per possession. That was one of our worst defensive efforts of the year (which tells you we have a very good defense, btw). In conference play, we had let one other team go over a point per trip. (pitt scored 63 on 62 possessions). Offensively, we scored .93 points per trip. That was also one of our worst offensive games of the year; we've been under a point per trip once this year in BE play, 73 points in 74 possessions against Marquette.

Sometimes the other team just makes shots. That's going to happen whether you play man to man, zone, or what. That's kind of the reason I, among others, was saying we weren't going to go undefeated. The other team is going to have a day where they make a ton of shots no matter what kind of defense you play. And likewise, you sometimes won't be able to buy a bucket no matter what kind offense you play.

I am not sure you can play just one side of the ball or the other. Notre Dame scored 67 points on 62 possessions, that's 1.08 points per possession.

the only way to stop another team's run is to score. Defense won't do it - you can stop them on 4, 5, 6 possessions in a row, but if you don't convert on your end, the run will pick up eventually. When Southerland hit a 3 pointer to cut it to a 9 point deficit, there were 10 minutes to go in the half. Between Dirty's three and the first of Dion's final minute triples, the Orange only got 1 basket (CJ's layup with about 5 minutes to play). In between, Notre Dame had a 12-3 run which took them 9 minutes to accumulate because it was peppered with defensive stops by Syracuse - missed jumpers, turnovers, etc - but SU couldn't convert on the other end.

you have to stop the bleeding at the offensive end so that, at the very least, you can trade baskets and keep things even. If you can't score, then even good defense is going to drip, drip, drip points over long segments and take you out of the game. SU's perimeter oriented half court offense is not good at generating high percentage looks or getting to the line.

The game was lost on the offensive side plain and simple. We had opportunities to get back into this game and just couldnt take advantage of those opportunities. How many wide open jumpers did we miss? How many shots inside of 5-10 feet did we miss? I love how our resident asshead zone hater comes out of the depths of despair to chime in once we get beat. Tough keeping it all in since what...march 2011? Get bent.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I was less than thrilled about the zone, etc on Saturday.

But if you think about it, as others have said here, if we make shots, they aren't playing the slow down game. If they are behind, they aren't playing the slow down game.

The plan worked because we missed shots and Kris and Dion dribbled off their feet about 5 times and BMK can't catch a pass, etc etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom