Disturbing comments | Syracusefan.com

Disturbing comments

RMH44

All American
I found JB's comments regarding ND running the shot clock under 10 seconds before running their offense disturbing. He stated that strategy actually helps the zone. Really?

I completely understand that IF we shoot better and/or rebound better that we win that game (maybe easily), but allowing a team with far less talented players dictate tempo seems foolish. ND's ONLY chance to win was to limit the number of possessions and hope that they hit a few hail marys...and they did. Reminded me of the Vermont game.

Unlike a couple of posters here, I'm not a zone hater...I've actually grown to admire the way SU employ's it and believe it's a big advantage in the tourny. BUT, there are times I wish JB would mix in some m2m. Saturday's game was the perfect opportunity to run a few possessions of m2m to pick-up tempo, especially since they were very well prepared for our press and we were rebounding so poorly. Our rebounding would improve greatly with m2m assignments.

Just a question, why would playing m2m make them shoot sooner? Wouldn't they just run the 3-man exchange up top for 25 seconds before getting into their set if they were so determined to limit possessions?

Unlike a couple of posters here, I'm not a zone hater...I've actually grown to admire the way SU employ's it and believe it's a big advantage in the tourny.

How exactly has it helped us in the tourny of late? What good team has the zone baffled?

In theory, I like this premise.

In reality, we lost to Lemoyne playing M2M...

If your M2M is that poor, it's really not going to provide any advantages.

Now, if you are saying there is no reason we shouldn't be able to play a serviceable / semi-effective M2M on occasion, I would agree.

But it is what it is with JB... it's not how he rolls...

How exactly has it helped us in the tourny of late? What good team has the zone baffled?

So we would never lose if we played man?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Give ND credit, they made some bombs with the shot clock running out, including a bank shot.

In theory, I like this premise.

In reality, we lost to Lemoyne playing M2M...

If your M2M is that poor, it's really not going to provide any advantages.

Now, if you are saying there is no reason we shouldn't be able to play a serviceable / semi-effective M2M on occasion, I would agree.

But it is what it is with JB... it's not how he rolls...
Ancient history...this team played very good m2m pre-Big East. I was very impressed with it.

Syracuse under JB always will be a 99.99% zone team, plain and simple. Why even post about this? makes no sense.

Umm, we got knocked out last year by a Big East team that sees the zone every year. The year before we loose AO and still play well in the tourny. Up four with the ball out of bounds with under a minute to play against Butler...I'd love to have that inbounds pass back.

Syracuse under JB always will be a 99.99% zone team, plain and simple. Why even post about this? makes no sense.
Makes no sense because you don't agree? Hell, if that's the case, then why do you even post on the FB board?

confusing two things. Running the clock down should help the zone. It takes more time to work an offense against a zone. Unlike man to man where you can have one guy break a defense down late in the shot clock. But running the clock down hurts Syracuse because we want to get out and run. We want a game in the 80's, not the 60's.

confusing two things. Running the clock down should help the zone. It takes more time to work an offense against a zone. Unlike man to man where you can have one guy break a defense down late in the shot clock. But running the clock down hurts Syracuse because we want to get out and run. We want a game in the 80's, not the 60's.
Agree... and I understand that Saturday night's game was the perfect storm but still frustrating. That's why I mentioned tempo control.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you play zone or man, you have to be able to match up and guard somebody. the disturbing part about saturday was the the zone was weak to same thing it was weak to last year, which is that keita can not guard a legitimate big man 1v1. cooley was killing him inside and the wings either had to either leave shooters and double, or he had to foul. we saw it with AO and now we see it with Fab, the zone just isn't the same if you don't have a legit center that can defend someone. keita is a fine backup but he is not a starting big east big man. let's hope that gates falls in love with jumpers tonight and forgets he is the biggest guy on the court or we will be in for more trouble.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you play zone or man, you have to be able to match up and guard somebody. the disturbing part about saturday was the the zone was weak to same thing it was weak to last year, which is that keita can not guard a legitimate big man 1v1. cooley was killing him inside and the wings either had to either leave shooters and double, or he had to foul. we saw it with AO and now we see it with Fab, the zone just isn't the same if you don't have a legit center that can defend someone. keita is a fine backup but he is not a starting big east big man. let's hope that gates falls in love with jumpers tonight and forgets he is the biggest guy on the court or we will be in for more trouble.
Yeah, I think Cooley would've dropped 40 on Keita if we went m2m. I do agree though, talking about m2m period while JB is coach, is a moot point.

notre dame just got lucky on like 5 possesions with bail out shots, most of them being three's, when guys are shooting like that there really is no defense for it, some games early on you can just sense the ball is gonna bounce the other way

Here is how it breaks down:

1. ND made some some huge three's with the shot clock at 5 or under.
2. A guy who was shooting 8% from three at one point was 2 for 2.
3. They banked in a three.
4. (and most importantly) Pressing and falling back into the zone is just as good at disrupting tempo as m2m

I know what you want, and I know what you mean. There are times when I have felt the same way. But at the end of the day, ND made more shots than we did and we did not come out with the right energy or attitude.

Give ND credit and either A) Give our guys a break for dealing with as much adversity as they have this season, or B) Put it on them for not coming out with the right energy, toughness, and attitude.

Given the change in demeanor of the coaches (including Gerry, btw)...I think they would put this on B.

44cuse

we haven't exactly gotten far enough to play a good team the last few years

running the shot clock down to ten works out great when you can hit that lucky fadeaway three at the shot clock buzzer or get bailed out by a dumbass reaching foul call. (or perhaps best of all get the rebound!).yet to me it seems more often than not syracuse doesn't even hit the friggin' rim when they try to milk it. just a desperate heave and then back on D.

80's 60's whats the difference. Just because teams shoot quicker it doesn't mean more easy transition buckets if they get back.

This team didn't go on a run. . Stall ball or no stall ball you get about 4-8 possessions every four minutes.

That being said we had 8 periods of 4 minutes at the 11 minute mark of the second half and we didn't capitalize that simple.

Can care less about stall ball its all BS! Its about efficiency not opportunities. We had plenty of opportunities.
Oh Lord Opportunities don't cause runs efficiency does.

We had 13 more shots then them and they had more offensive boards and outrebouned us by 13. Given that, how much more opportunities can you possibly ask for?

Consider that ND jumped out to a big lead. Then, they can slow it down vs zone or m2m.
SU first tactic was to press (worked, but not enough), but I think JB is right. If the opponent runs the clock down against a zone, we typically force bad shots.

It is absolutely relevant. In 2003, the zone-m2m ratio was about 80-20, not the insane 100-0 that it is now... there were a number of comebacks in big games that year when we went press AND fell back into m2m. It's amazing how people forget this.

I can see exactly what JB is saying. How often this year has Syracuse forced the opponent to run the shot clock down and then have to force up a 25 footer? When that happens, people love it.

Unfortunately, sometimes it works the other way as in the ND game. They made shots when the time was running out and if they missed, seemed to always be involved in the rebound.

These games happen. The most crucial ingredient is how the team responds. In our case, we'll find out tonight against an up and down Cincy team.

This game was not lost on the defensive end, it was lost on the offensive end. We knew the defense would be less effective without the stopper in there. In fact we had seen it several times in the games where Melo had gotten himself into foul trouble and had to sit. Keita and Christmas are not as effective as Melo is at challenging interior shots.

But, even with a diminished defense we had plenty of chances to get back in the game and we simply did not score points and capitalize on those chances. We forced 17 turnovers (our average is 18.3 forced TOs theirs is only 10 committed TOs), but were not really able to capitalize on the turnovers by scoring the basketball. We also held them scoreless from the 12:35 mark until the 5:16 mark in the second half. During that scoreless streak we only managed four scores (9 points) on twelve possessions and one of those four scores was the goof ball richochet into the hoop created by the press that was credited as an "own goal".

Bottom line is that our offense sucked against a team that slows themselves down, but isn't particularly noted for slowing the opponent down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom