Class of 2020 - DL Akheem Mesidor (ON) Transferring from WVU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 DL Akheem Mesidor (ON) Transferring from WVU

Well. Us and Pitt are geographically the closest. Dino after this draft will have 3 DL in the NFL more then likely since being here (slayton, Robinson and Coleman). I’m sure that he preached that and PT. These are the battles we need to start winning if we want to be consistent winners.

I think I understand why many coaches prefer the NFL's "professional" atmosphere as opposed to college's "amateur" system: recruiting must be such a bitch. It can't be that rewarding to work as a hired gun for a school, put on their laundry and try to convince a 17-18 year old (generationally removed from you) to come work for your company college. Throw in the dog and pony show for the parents and you're getting pretty far afield from X's and O's.
I mean I love it when we score a high 3, but the process for the coaches (however well paid) must be a little humiliating.

I think I understand why many coaches prefer the NFL's "professional" atmosphere as opposed to college's "amateur" system: recruiting must be such a bitch. It can't be that rewarding to work as a hired gun for a school, put on their laundry and try to convince a 17-18 year old (generationally removed from you) to come work for your company college. Throw in the dog and pony show for the parents and you're getting pretty far afield from X's and O's.
I mean I love it when we score a high 3, but the process for the coaches (however well paid) must be a little humiliating.
especially when you put in years of work just to get spurned at the last second

I think “humiliating” is a little much. I agreed with most of what was said except the last sentence. I think it’s a respectable job to work for a renowned university and represent it as you try and sell the programs positives to an up and coming college athlete.

It’s all perspective is all!

Some of it might be as simple as the better kids they get to sign, the better the team, the better they get paid. That's a healthy incentive. Some of these guys just straight up love to recruit (like Urban Meyer).

I have (more had at this point) a friend who played in the NFL and made quite a lot of money (i think between salary and bonuses it was in like the $30-$45m range gross). He's a bright guy and wanted to get into coaching. He's also really charismatic. He didnt last long in the college ranks. It certainly wasnt humiliating for him, but schlepping all over to "sell" college kids wasnt something he wanted to do long term. He's now an NFL position coach.

I think I might accept 6 figures to travel the country and try to refine my skills to make friends and win people. For most of these coaches, this has to be 65-80% of their job. The other 20-35% is game film, planning and instruction

These guys are CONSTANTLY recruiting and building relationships with key HS coaches/trainers/COI's in their respective target areas/comfort zones. If you ever have a conversation with one of them, it will blow you away how they're always recruiting/forging.

Some of it might be as simple as the better kids they get to sign, the better the team, the better they get paid. That's a healthy incentive. Some of these guys just straight up love to recruit (like Urban Meyer).

I have (more had at this point) a friend who played in the NFL and made quite a lot of money (i think between salary and bonuses it was in like the $30-$45m range gross). He's a bright guy and wanted to get into coaching. He's also really charismatic. He didnt last long in the college ranks. It certainly wasnt humiliating for him, but schlepping all over to "sell" college kids wasnt something he wanted to do long term. He's now an NFL position coach.
The ability to recruit and the ability to coach seem to be 2 separate entities and I would imagine any hire is evaluated almost exclusively by those 2 criteria.

Some people are just salesmen. They love for that sht.
Those are the successful ones. I had a coach in high school that complained that he couldn't recruit. It was funny because no one could stand playing for him. If he had to recruit, no one would have played for him

Not good. TOS added multiple CB’s for West Virginia.

The timing of the Ndukwe offer makes sense. Looks like once again we will rely on a high upside project to fill a critical position of need. Assuming this is the case, I am so sick of those who defend this staff on the recruiting aspect.

The timing of the Ndukwe offer makes sense. Looks like once again we will rely on a high upside project to fill a critical position of need. Assuming this is the case, I am so sick of those who defend this staff on the recruiting aspect.

You must be miserable. I mean the extrapolation here ... if you apply the same thought process to other aspects of your life ... just ... holy hell ...

no worries, we are sick of you too

Lucky for you your job and your life doesn't depend on the whims of teenagers.

Will get him on the portal rebound...

Well, crap.

Another one bites the dust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom