DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina

Yep how can anyone get excited about anyone anymore, a kid will get good here , really good and there’s more than a passing chance it’ll be bye bye for a big bag soon thereafter. Yuck
But at the same time, as happened this year, we’ll also bring in highly rated guys who felt they weren’t getting an opportunity at a powerhouse and are looking to get on the field asap.

Ill trade geer all day for the kid from Alabama

Uh, the post spring window.

try to keep up

Point is, it's losses for the ENTIRE off-season that determine our roster.

And right now, we're down 2 starting DBs who were very good, and 3 DLs, two of whom were contributors and the other was injured and overweight.

Point is, it's losses for the ENTIRE off-season that determine our roster.

And right now, we're down 2 starting DBs who were very good, and 3 DLs, two of whom were contributors and the other was injured and overweight.
No, that’s not the point. The point is you lose one guy post spring that’s a very good outcome in this environment

No, that’s not the point. The point is you lose one guy post spring that’s a very good outcome in this environment
It's only 1 in the spring, that's some relief. But overall does the portal giveth at the same rate it taketh? tep624 has been questioning this, and he has a point. We're losing established starters and high-upside 2 deep guys to NIL. In exchange, despite some success stories (GS, CDRW), we're facing stiff competition for JUCOs. And a lot of our P5 replacements are not established starters (injured or buried on the depth chart). It's still early. We'll have to see how it plays out over time. But so far the portal exchange seems asymmetric. And if that continues I'm concerned about the viability of our '3-star' recruiting model. SU and many other non-factory FBS programs are in trouble if they pour their resources into developing kid$ only to have them tampered with and poached. It's an unsustainable situation that Charlie Baker will need to address if the NCAA system is to survive NIL.

Last edited:

We've lost 3 DLs and added one, by my count.
So, whoop de doo that we only lost 1 more guy in this window.

It's only 1 in the spring, that's some relief. But overall does the portal giveth at the same rate it taketh? tep624 has been questioning this, and he has a point. We're losing established starters and high-upside 2 deep guys to NIL tampering and poaching. In exchange, while there are some success stories (GS), JUCO competition is fierce. And a lot of the P5 transfers are not established starters (injured or buried on the depth chart). It's still early. We'll have to see how it plays out over time. But so far the portal exchange seems asymmetric. And if that continues I'm concerned about the viability of a '3-star development' recruiting model - that SU and many other non-factory institutions are pouring their resources into - if the best kids continue to be $ubject to factory tampering and poaching. This is looking like a trend that Charlie Baker will need to address if the NCAA system is to survive NIL.

It’s pretty obvious where the trend is heading with this system. If people want to ignore it or be in denial about it that’s their choice.

And your point is valid - if your success is defined by developing undervalued talent that gets consistently poached because you’re not willing to pay to retain it….I just don’t see how you can even be a winning program with that strategy.

1682874360258.jpeg

Ill trade geer all day for the kid from Alabama
trading a guy who actually has tape and some production vs a kid who never seen the field at bama? not to mention different position and bad knees, but ok.

trading a guy who actually has tape and some production vs a kid who never seen the field at bama? not to mention different position and bad knees, but ok.
I believe he saw the field quite a bit as a frosh and then got injured. Once injured, he was recruited over and removed from the team/deemed medically ineligible to keep his scholly, but free up the spot on the roster by officially removing him from the team.

Adding this reference from the recruiting thread. Mentions 4 games and 5 tackles under his belt at Bama

Last edited:
I believe he saw the field quite a bit as a frosh and then got injured. Once injured, he was recruited over and removed from the team/deemed medically ineligible to keep his scholly, but free up the spot on the roster by officially removing him from the team.
They play different positions any way. I do like Geer’s upside. I heard White is trying to get him too.

I’m admittedly not great at interpreting Instagram stories but his newest one shows him in several Syracuse pics with a song playing that has the word torn in the title. Who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom