Class of 2022 - DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DL Kevin Jobity (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/2/22)

But what's his rating? You know some folks are going to complain because this will drag down our class ranking.
I don’t care a lick about precollege rankings; it’s more about their work ethic. He has enough size. Also, the NFL is well populated with non Division 1 players; many who are stars. Unlike basketball where there is loads of head to head competition, football ratings are often based upon your teams classification in HS!

Welcome to Syracuse Kevin.

We don’t get DEs out of HS that already weigh 250. I think the track record of the guys we have taken at his size is pretty good. A lot better than our track record getting 210 pound guys and hoping to grow them into DEs.

Kevin might even grow into a DT someday. Growing big DEs into DTs might be our best strategy towards getting the type of DTs in the program that we are looking for,
He’s the guy that plays the 3 or 5 gap. Still lack a space eater on the nose, but this kid has the frame to Build on.

I was wondering if the staff took the time to add a sound effect for the saber was it was drawn.

They did. Solid! Nice work guys and gals!
He’s the guy that plays the 3 or 5 gap. Still lack a space eater on the nose, but this kid has the frame to Build on.
McKinley came in at 6-4 and 245.

They lack space eaters because they don't seek them. They don't want guys that can't move. They will add functional weight. Its a much better way to get the production they need from their lineman.

They lack space eaters because they don't seek them. They don't want guys that can't move. They will add functional weight. Its a much better way to get the production they need from their lineman.
Hard to project where these guys will end up - although I think Go's onto something with Jobbity as a 3-tech. But even in the 335 someone has to play the A (0/1) gap, right?. As Tom says, it's nice to bring in guys with bigger frames - over 250. Nolton is one (6-5 252). Bassette is another 265. Jobbity is 6-4/6-5 255. Along with those new guys, we've got some bigger cats - Darton, Fuentes and Locket - already on the roster. Building some good depth on the DL.

Last edited:
I know they don’t want 6-2, 325 guys, but they need to be a little stouter. And if they had a guy that could demand interior double teams they’d take it.

I know they don’t want 6-2, 325 guys, but they need to be a little stouter. And if they had a guy that could demand interior double teams they’d take it.

Exactly this. You can’t stop the run consistently with a 3 man front unless you have guys who can eat double teams.

If we were selling out for the run every play, then the ability to eat/ sink double teams wouldn’t be as important.

If you want a balanced defence that can be prepared to play run or pass on those intermediate downs and situations, then you’ll need some D linemen who are stout enough to take on doubles and not allow O linemen to chip and get to the next level.

Stout doesn't help if they can't move the way they need them to. They use movement to create interior double teams. They out athlete offensive lines and put them in a jam. They pressure and overload gaps on short yardage situations. If they can find 300 Ib guys that can move like 240 Ib DE's that would be perfect.

Exactly this. You can’t stop the run consistently with a 3 man front unless you have guys who can eat double teams.

If we were selling out for the run every play, then the ability to eat/ sink double teams wouldn’t be as important.

If you want a balanced defence that can be prepared to play run or pass on those intermediate downs and situations, then you’ll need some D linemen who are stout enough to take on doubles and not allow O linemen to chip and get to the next level.
They are rarely in 3 man fronts.

Hard to project where these guys will end up - although I think Go's onto something with Jobbity as a 3-tech. But even in the 335 someone has to play the A (0/1) gap, right?. As Tom says, it's nice to bring in guys with bigger frames - over 250. Nolton is one (6-5 252). Bassette is another 265. Jobbity is 6-4/6-5 255. We've got some bigger cats - Darton, Fuentes and Locket - already on the roster. Building some good depth here.
Yup they prefer to keep interior guys around 280. Its more functional weight. They can still be explosive in a 6'4 frame. Caleb, Darton and Lockett played significant snaps. I still would prefer another mature body or 2 in that rotation but maybe Geer, Fuentes and Simmons can fill that void. I don't know.

They are rarely in 3 man fronts.
I know they often have a LB walked up in a 2 point playing outside a tackle. Based on how our proper D linemen are lined up, I would often still consider this a 3 man front.

My point is, there isn’t a defence out there that can be successful without having some D linemen who are built to occupy double teams - even if that isn’t the primary trait we recruit them for.

A7AA40A9-4571-4B08-9D0A-F9E578CBC142.jpeg

Stout doesn't help if they can't move the way they need them to. They use movement to create interior double teams. They out athlete offensive lines and put them in a jam. They pressure and overload gaps on short yardage situations. If they can find 300 Ib guys that can move like 240 Ib DE's that would be perfect.

Yeah just beat out the top SEC Schools for those guys! :):) Probably why they went to this scheme

I know they often have a LB walked up in a 2 point playing outside a tackle. Based on how our proper D linemen are lined up, I would often still consider this a 3 man front.

My point is, there isn’t a defence out there that can be successful without having some D linemen who are built to occupy double teams - even if that isn’t the primary trait we recruit them for.
Its not a 3 man front when a backer walks up and the lineman change their alignment. They are multiple with their fronts. You dont know what they are going to get in from play to play. It changes blocking rules. You can be successful with any scheme and there also aren't any defensive scheme that's full proof. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

You are missing the point
Our DLineman are built to be more athletic than the Oline and create double teams. We don't need some 330 lb dude to just stand there.
We need athletic Dline to CREATE the double teams
If we can find some athletic 320 lb guys lying around sure we will take them but this is why we went to the 3-3-5 you don't need massive dudes in the middle which are hard to find in college

Steven Clark wasn't 300 lbs, but he and Chris Slayton were great together, with Ruff as a backup.
Had Steven not been injured, that would have gone down as one of the best D Lines we've ever had. They had size and speed.

You are missing the point
Our DLineman are built to be more athletic than the Oline and create double teams. We don't need some 330 lb dude to just stand there.
We need athletic Dline to CREATE the double teams
If we can find some athletic 320 lb guys lying around sure we will take them but this is why we went to the 3-3-5 you don't need massive dudes in the middle which are hard to find in college

This thread is supposed to be about Jobity, so this is the last I’ll comment on our scheme here.

I never said “330 LB dude to stand there.” As someone who played at the collegiate level in a defence with a similar philosophy to ours, my view is that while we do put a premium on athletic Dlinemen, you also need some athletic Dlinemen who can react to a double team, prevent lanes from opening up, and keep 2nd level players clean to make tackles.

Run defence is necessarily, at times, a reactionary pursuit.

And for the record, I believe we have recruited guys who fit this description over the past few seasons (Geer, Fuentes, etc.)

you look at his stats and he played 14 games had 120 tackles, 40 TFL, and 11 sacks.. Thats a single season at a southern school. pretty impressive for a kid just learning what to do.

even playing down in talent Pitt/WV were willing to let him PWO so he showed enough to several schools.