DO article on Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

DO article on Recruiting

That’s a damning article. Nothing earth shattering but it affirms what many of us have observed:

“college basketball recruiting has changed. And a Syracuse offer isn’t what it once was for everyone.

A high school scout said: “There’s a really big disconnect between what the program is right now and what the program thinks it is.”

Pretty weak sauce to base your article on unnamed scouts. We have all been disappointed with the dip in recruiting but how about some named sources instead of some guy who likely has an ax to grind against the program and doesn't have the decency to put his name to his convictions? If Syracuse is just another ACC school how did we get talents like Williams and Lands? Give us an example of someone who isn't impressed by a Syracuse offer instead of vague allusions.
The DO does a good job for the most part but I thought this was pretty poorly done.

I think at this point it comes down to effort and salesmanship.

Unless we become a .500 or sub .500 overall team, imo we won’t be “just another ACC school”.

We have a shiny new renovated dome, the Melo center, a top 3 fanbase, significant tournament history + 45 consecutive years of winning basketball.

This is not something run of the mill ACC or p5 schools can say.

Gotta sell and leverage what we have that others may not. We won’t be a top 20 team every single year though that had come to be the expectation.

Just as many said;

“Many in and around Syracuse basketball’s program told The D.O. that recruiting has taken a dip in the last five years partially because of Hopkins’ departure. Sanctions on the program, early departures from players turning pro and the potential of a new coach all played a role as well.”

Just as many said;

“Many in and around Syracuse basketball’s program told The D.O. that recruiting has taken a dip in the last five years partially because of Hopkins’ departure. Sanctions on the program, early departures from players turning pro and the potential of a new coach all played a role as well.”

We suck at crooting!!!

But our players leave early to turn Pro!!!!

Um, yeah. Maybe we don't suck so bad at crootin after all?

Last edited:
Lmao yeah we're so bad at recruiting that we have a five star coming in this year, just had a borderline five star commit in the spring of his junior year, and all signs point to the best class in a long time coming in for '22.

And that's without mentioning that the best pg in that class would be coming here if he went to less than 10 high schools.

Find a new slant, student newspaper

I have no problem with that article, in fact I found it very fair and truthful. It stated the facts...our recruiting has not been what it once was and therefore our regular season success is nowhere near what it once was. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pumped for Benny and Lands...but just because we have one 5-star for 2021 and one 4/5 star for 2022 doesn’t mean we are back to being an upper echelon program like we were for many years before 2015. A couple sweet 16 runs are great, but it doesn’t change the fact that we have been a perineal bubble team for 7 straight years.

You could, and I'm being serious here, quote threads on here to make that article and the general directional feedback on a platform like this gives ammunition to that take.

It's pretty much common sense that recruiting was going to and did suffer with Hop leaving. I don't think that is a surprising or new take and of course results have a strong relationship to recruiting.

I remember the days of The Pearl, DC and Billy Owens. But, the fact is, we aren’t allowed to cheat like the blue bloods anymore. The NCAA has made sure of that. Pound OSU while turning their backs to Duke, UK, Kansas and others. So, we’ve had to seek other routes for recruiting. We quickly bail on recruiting guys with handlers, because it would be wasted effort. How about a story about how difficult it is to recruit in this era? Nah, it’s easier to call some anonymous “source” and write a BS article rather than do some work and write something insightful.

I remember the days of The Pearl, DC and Billy Owens. But, the fact is, we aren’t allowed to cheat like the blue bloods anymore. The NCAA has made sure of that. Pound OSU while turning their backs to Duke, UK, Kansas and others. So, we’ve had to seek other routes for recruiting. We quickly bail on recruiting guys with handlers, because it would be wasted effort. How about a story about how difficult it is to recruit in this era? Nah, it’s easier to call some anonymous “source” and write a BS article rather than do some work and write something insightful.
So you don't think our staff and particulary the head coach are a bit out of touch with today's recruiting landscape?

That’s a damning article. Nothing earth shattering but it affirms what many of us have observed:

“college basketball recruiting has changed. And a Syracuse offer isn’t what it once was for everyone.

A high school scout said: “There’s a really big disconnect between what the program is right now and what the program thinks it is.”
Does John Wildhack fall into the last sentence?

Does the DO source think no dinners at Del Monicos or no jobs an the YMCA has changed the value of the CUSE offer? While DUKE payed ZW to play so their offer has not lost appeal.

This is the stupidest time ever to post this article with Benny coming in, the Swider signing and Kamari on the way. Such an idiotic article by the DO. It made sense 2 years ago. Not now. Find new content.

The timing is definitely odd and most of the article were things we already knew. But there were a few tidbits I didn't know before.

The timing is definitely odd and most of the article were things we already knew. But there were a few tidbits I didn't know before.

That and the word ”scout”. What does they even mean. Only pro teams have scouts soooo...

I’m with AZOrange on this one. A lazy piece of article that describes more what happened the previous 5 seasons and not the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom