DO article on Recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DO article on Recruiting

We should consider who the audience is (SU students). Although this would have made more sense a few years ago, reviewing how we got to where we are makes sense for students that might have must moved to Syracuse that think of Syracuse as a perennial power.
That's a fair point.

Meh. Anonymous sources weaken the article significantly, and the shots at Frank Howard seemed gratuitous to me. Otherwise, much of the article could have been written with the source actually cited - this message board.

"Going to play in the middle of nowhere New York is not what it was 25 years ago."

I take offense to that statement:)

What has changed?

Were we in the middle of somewhere 25 years ago? Syracuse area is as good now as it has ever been!
Syracuse = Middle of nowhere.

Yes, because Lawrence, Kan.; Spokane, Wash.; Morgantown, W.Va.; Blacksburg, Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Ames, Iowa; West Lafayette, Ind.; Tuscaloosa, Ala.; Bloomington, Ind.; Eugene, Ore.; Pullman, Wash.; Starkville, Miss.; Clemson, S.C.; Waco, Texas; Auburn, Ala.; Lexington, Ky.; Corvallis, Ore.; Oxford, Miss.; Happy Valley, Pa.; and Tallahassee, Fla. are each hubs of modern civilization.

Sh|t, at least we have a Triple-A team, right?

When asked if college basketball recruiting has changed in the last five to 10 years, Boeheim responded simply.

“No, not at all.”

Say What Excuse Me GIF by Election 2020

LOL this has to be a response to the D.O article where they said Cuse was a courtesy spot in his top 5. JB says he doesn’t care what people say on the internet and then says stuff like this. If this was true, why was it such a big deal when Stewart came out and said JB didn’t take a pic with him in 8th grade?

thought the same thing

I understand how a statement like this can read as concerning, but it also is a fairly context free quote and we know how Boeheim can be sometimes dismissive of questions.

So one interpretation of this response is: JB has totally lost touch and has no hope of recruiting in the new world even if he was willing to put in the effort.

Another is: JB was simply responding that recruiting is fundamentally the same: you try to find good players that fit your system and you try to get them to come to your school.

Couple points: we have actually gotten some pretty doggone good recruits in recent years: Dior, Bazley, Battle, Benny, etc. Dior and Bazley not ever actually enrolling could be viewed as just bad luck or that hey were trolling us the whole time. But if those guys had made it to campus, it dramatically changes some perceptions.

Two things I know about JB:
He has repeatedly and consistently said throughout his entire career that getting good players is the number one driver of success, not coaching. It is pretty obvious that he understands the importance of recruiting.

He won't promise people things that in the old world were earned. You earned a starting position, you were not promised it. This is apparently the reason for losing Green and Kadary. Maybe in the new environment, he should just promise everybody everything they want to hear, if it turns out to be all lies, they'll just transfer after a year, who cares. He's always treated his players with more respect than that, but they don't want to be treated like that, so adjust.
If Boeheim never made starting promises, then why the heck did Dajuan Coleman, Fab Melo, and Rakeem Christmas all start as freshmen?

I knew when this article came out and the writer was going to be on with Axe. I knew Jb would call in. He hears everything people.

I knew when this article came out and the writer was going to be on with Axe. I knew Jb would call in. He hears everything people.
I bet he hears everything but Julie, know what I mean?

Some of its fair the rest is crap. I don't think the sources are very good. So Stewart added us as a courtesy but was going to commit 15 minutes before his announcement.

Appreciate all of your feedback and thank everyone for reading. There's good, there's bad and I tried to be as fair as possible with this as a whole.
I believe Michigan also has made three sweet 16 in the last 5 tournaments. You only had Syracuse and the Zags.

If Boeheim never made starting promises, then why the heck did Dajuan Coleman, Fab Melo, and Rakeem Christmas all start as freshmen?

They were McDonald's all americans. I know Dajuan and Rak were for sure.

"Going to play in the middle of nowhere New York is not what it was 25 years ago."

I take offense to that statement:)

What has changed?

Were we in the middle of somewhere 25 years ago? Syracuse area is as good now as it has ever been!
And did we just not lose a center recruit to a school in the middle of nowhere Iowa?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom