DO article on Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DO article on Recruiting

Feels to me that it is odd timing given the recent commitment from Lands and Benny coming in, but the impacts of losing the Philly pipeline and the perception of the program in New Jersey due to Roberson's treatment are critical geographical recruiting blows to acknowledge.

This is by far the most concerning part of the story:

When asked if college basketball recruiting has changed in the last five to 10 years, Boeheim responded simply.

“No, not at all.”

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the man refuses to change & adapt and it's killing the program. The continued slip into mediocrity the last 6-7 years is no coincidence.

This is by far the most concerning part of the story:

When asked if college basketball recruiting has changed in the last five to 10 years, Boeheim responded simply.

“No, not at all.”

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but the man refuses to change & adapt and it's killing the program. The continued slip into mediocrity the last 6-7 years is no coincidence.

I understand how a statement like this can read as concerning, but it also is a fairly context free quote and we know how Boeheim can be sometimes dismissive of questions.

So one interpretation of this response is: JB has totally lost touch and has no hope of recruiting in the new world even if he was willing to put in the effort.

Another is: JB was simply responding that recruiting is fundamentally the same: you try to find good players that fit your system and you try to get them to come to your school.

Couple points: we have actually gotten some pretty doggone good recruits in recent years: Dior, Bazley, Battle, Benny, etc. Dior and Bazley not ever actually enrolling could be viewed as just bad luck or that hey were trolling us the whole time. But if those guys had made it to campus, it dramatically changes some perceptions.

Two things I know about JB:
He has repeatedly and consistently said throughout his entire career that getting good players is the number one driver of success, not coaching. It is pretty obvious that he understands the importance of recruiting.

He won't promise people things that in the old world were earned. You earned a starting position, you were not promised it. This is apparently the reason for losing Green and Kadary. Maybe in the new environment, he should just promise everybody everything they want to hear, if it turns out to be all lies, they'll just transfer after a year, who cares. He's always treated his players with more respect than that, but they don't want to be treated like that, so adjust.

Appreciate all of your feedback and thank everyone for reading. There's good, there's bad and I tried to be as fair as possible with this as a whole.

its well written, but one sided and a bit click baity. the title in particular. im sure part of the reason is syracuse coaches wouldn't give you a quote. did you try?

Appreciate all of your feedback and thank everyone for reading. There's good, there's bad and I tried to be as fair as possible with this as a whole.

I felt it was a good article. A few of the issues with this reading audience is the most of the information contained has already been discussed here ad nauseum and there is a very strong bias by readers from this forum about the issue in advance of reading the article.

For fans outside of this forum I think audience reception of the article would be much better.

Thanks for your efforts.

This is the stupidest time ever to post this article with Benny coming in, the Swider signing and Kamari on the way. Such an idiotic article by the DO. It made sense 2 years ago. Not now. Find new content.

As Mark Twain said, "Never pick a fight with people who by ink by the barrel." Boeheim brings some of this stuff on himself.

I'd be shocked if one of the scouts spouting negativity in the piece is Zagoria.

Zagoria probably wouldn't describe himself as a scout. He thinks of himself as a journalist. He's writing in the NYTimes now. But you're right that it's probably someone from the recruiting site-world. That term "scout" is weird though. Just tell us he/she is from a recruiting evaluation site. That's not revealing any confidences.

And the staffer is definitely Devendorf.

Appreciate the effort. There will always be some thin-skinned readers who take umbrage with any critique of the program or JB.

Not really. You’re saying things to say things. I’m not a JB bootlicker by any means and think the article makes no sense now. I’m sure it fits your POV because I would have you on the opposite end of the spectrum of the JB bootlickers and do nothing but criticize.

There is a middle ground. This article made sense 2-3 years ago. The timing is odd considering we seem to be gaining traction with recruiting(Benny/Swider/Kamari)that the writer did NOT mention at all. Makes me think the D.O. has an axe to grind after some recent press conferences this season.

JB has screwed up roster construction in previous seasons, isn’t going to use all our scholarships most seasons, and is going to always go with a 7.5 man rotation. He also by most accounts blew our strategy at pg this season, but to just say recruiting is continuing a downward spiral is not factually accurate.

And if we had Andre Jackson instead of Kadary or Griffin this season we would have won about 12 games. Losing him was the only reason we had Kadary last season.

Results are incomplete but you could say that Hop’s departure isn’t exactly working out swimmingly for him either. Also Quade Green’s track record suggests losing out on him wasn’t the huge loss it was once thought to be.
One thing that doesn’t get enough mention is that the pace and intensity of recruiting has ramped up a lot. Once upon a time if you brought in a stud pg, for example, you could feel set for 2-3 years at that positio. Not any more.

Appreciate the effort. There will always be some thin-skinned readers who take umbrage with any critique of the program or JB.
I certainly don’t mind the critiques. I mind the timing. The article is like 3-4 years ago...I mean this board has literally been discussing every aspect of that article over that time. For example, JB as the closer? That’s been a “known” for a decade or more.

the fact that Hopper drove the recruiting bus? Tell me something new please.

I think it captures the essence of the current situation. One thing to note is that the anonymous sources generally are going to give the bad side. Thats why they were sourced to begin with. The article and my assumption the line of questioning likely focus more on the what went wrong side.

That said recruiting by the numbers has not been great over the last number of years. When we look at the output of some of that recruiting it hasn't been nearly as dire. What I see is that we have less consistency, and have been more hit or miss. Oshae, Quincy, Marek, Buddy, Tyus, Elijah, Kadary, Malachi and Tyler Lydon. Those are all winners in my opinion from a recruiting perspective. Some were highly ranked and others were diamonds in the rough.

Then you have Jalen, Moyer, goodine,Kaleb, chino, Ajak, and Washington who were misses and some were highly ranked.

The real issue comes down to player retention. Both with players who make it and those who don't.

Moustapha Diagne
Bazely
Kadary
Woody
Taurean
Green (Almost had him)

Then early entrants to the draft.

We don't recruit well enough now to offset turnover and that is the real issue. We recruit good players but our overall classes aren't deep enough. Our quality across quantity does not meet our turnover.

We should consider who the audience is (SU students). Although this would have made more sense a few years ago, reviewing how we got to where we are makes sense for students that might have must moved to Syracuse that think of Syracuse as a perennial power.

I certainly don’t mind the critiques. I mind the timing. The article is like 3-4 years ago...I mean this board has literally been discussing every aspect of that article over that time. For example, JB as the closer? That’s been a “known” for a decade or more.

the fact that Hopper drove the recruiting bus? Tell me something new please.
You might be surprised to learn that outside of maybe 20-30 members on this board, very few fans of the program have any real in-depth knowledge of the recruiting scene other than we aren't doing as well as we used to. In that context, the article is very informative to the majority of readers.

The Roberson story, while old news, is just a sad indictment. Seems like that whole thing washed over with no consequences for JB's mistreatment. I don't think any poster here can defend that behavior. It was swept under the rug and forgotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom