Do we have any NBA draft picks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do we have any NBA draft picks

Kyle Guy is a much better player, and was a McDonald’s All-American. Come on now. I like Buddy but saying he’s a long shot to get drafted is crazy. Of the 13 scholarship players on the team, he’s not in the Top 5 of draftable guys. He plays zero defense.

Well your're comparing a freshman to a junior which is your first mistake. The McDonalds all american game has nothing to do with the draft. Just look at Louis King. I am not saying he is GOING to get drafted, but just to dismiss someone who can shoot is foolish in 2019. This isn't the 1995 NBA draft.

Yea, some real gems.

Shooting is the great equalizer. He’s a frosh.

He has no lateral quickness, very little handle and plays no defense. And I love Buddy. Going to be a great college player.

To say he’s a long shot is grossly overrating him. And mentioning him before half the roster is also not accurate.

Braswell may have a better shot to be drafted than Buddy, if we want to be completely honest. And I think there’s a greater than zero chance that Braswell doesn’t see significant minutes in his SU career.

Just because you aren’t an NBA prospect doesn’t mean you aren’t good.

Maybe but its unlikely they can leave early and go first round like players of years passed. Keldon Johnson and Naz Little barely snuck into the 1st. These guys have no interest in college you can expect the top 20 recruits from the previous year to ALL enter the draft annually in addition to the top NCAA soph/jrs, all the seniors, and all the Euros.

A finished senior product Marek, Buddy, and Eli all have shots since they have the length. Any of the 3 if they can get their game to All American level which they have 2/3 years to do should get called. No comment on the freshmen they aren't ranked that highly and we haven't seen them yet.

Its time to start letting undrafted players return to college. Funny how you can enter the draft and retain your eligibility in the white sports hockey and baseball but not football or hoops isn't it?

Buddy lol. We got some real gems on this board.

I imagine nobody said Rautins would get drafted after his freshman year. Probably after his soph and junior year too. I doubt many thought D. Nichols had a shot to be drafted after his freshman and sophomore years either.

You never know.

Buddy was way more productive and a better shooter than both of them(2 of our all time best shooters by the time they were done) as a freshman.

Buddy lol. We got some real gems on this board.
Why not? The kid would’ve averaged double digits ppg as a freshman starter in the ACC. He’s proven he can score inside and outside the perimeter. He needs to improve his handle and D.

I imagine nobody said Rautins would get drafted after his freshman year. Probably after his soph and junior year too. I doubt many thought D. Nichols had a shot to be drafted after his freshman and sophomore years either.

You never know.

Buddy was way more productive and a better shooter than both of them(2 of our all time best shooters by the time they were done) as a freshman.

Yep and there's been a good amount of productive multi year college players that have been picked/signed and produced in the NBA recently.

I love watching Braswell but the reality is we’ve seen him in quick 1 minute spurts and have no real feel for his game yet.

You never know.

Rautins always had lateral quickness & Nichols has athleticism for his size as well as an ability to shoot at his position.

Buddy is a very good player and could be a tremendous college player. His body and the way he moves are not NBA material.

I hesitiate to wade into this now that it has devolved into a thread on Buddy, but there a veritable ton of D-1 players who are lights out shooters and won't ever sniff the NBA. The level of athleticism required to play in the NBA is something altogether different from D1.

Buddy will be a good college player.

Yep and there's been a good amount of productive multi year college players that have been picked/signed and produced in the NBA recently.

Yup. I never thought Danny Green as a future key NBA player on really good teams. He seemed like a fringe guy back in college.

Shooting can cover up a lot of weaknesses. Buddy would likely have to be one of the best shooters available in the draft to get picked, because he doesn’t jump out as having NBA quickness or athleticism. But it’s way too early to write him off.

Rautins always had lateral quickness & Nichols has athleticism for his size as well as an ability to shoot at his position.

Buddy is a very good player and could be a tremendous college player. His body and the way he moves are not NBA material.

Yeah I don't remember Rautins and quickness ever being mentioned in the same sentence, but thanks for reminding me why I've stayed off the bball board recently.

Nichols stunk though. Shot like 25% from 3 his first two years or something. In theory he could shoot, but not really in reality until his Junior year. He came a long way.

Rautins was a twig as a freshman, and very average st best quickness wise. Probably harder to improve quickness than strength, but it’s not crazy to think Buddy could get a little quicker and improve his all around game enough to where he gets drafted IF he’s just an absolute lights out shooter by that point.

He was average in both games against below average teams. Had a lot of points, sure, but points aren’t the whole story.

Yes they are. Scoring 20+ as a freshman in college in your first couple of games is nothing to sneeze at. These are guys who are just as athletic as he is and he carved UConn up. The potential for him to be a double digit scorer is there if Syracuse runs an uptempo offense this season. Boeheim has to play to his player's strengths this season. This is a young team. Let them run and gun while taking their lumps.

I actually see plenty of potential NBA athleticism and nearing skillsets from Guerrier and Goodine. Well, about as much as you can take from an AAU career. It’s all about adjusting their bodies and developing though. Thats the big question mark. Right now Guerriers got a great build coming into his freshman year, Goodine’s still a bit twiggish though.

Last edited:

Rautins was slower than frozen molasses. This was before the ACL.

He has no lateral quickness, very little handle and plays no defense. And I love Buddy. Going to be a great college player.

To say he’s a long shot is grossly overrating him. And mentioning him before half the roster is also not accurate.

Braswell may have a better shot to be drafted than Buddy, if we want to be completely honest. And I think there’s a greater than zero chance that Braswell doesn’t see significant minutes in his SU career.

Just because you aren’t an NBA prospect doesn’t mean you aren’t good.

Nobody would have pegged Andy as a potential NBA draft pick as a Freshman or Sophomore. Only the most optimistic of us would have entertained the idea even after his Junior season. He wasn't particularly tall and not too athletic. Played passing lanes well, but wasn't a special on-ball defender. Shot well, controlled the ball, and passed well.

Buddy is gangly and a looks a little awkward out there but if Andy could make it, I don't see why Buddy doesn't have an outside chance. He's much taller and might end up shooting it just as well as Andy did.

I forgot about Braswell earlier. He has a shot at a James Southerland type career.

I love watching Braswell but the reality is we’ve seen him in quick 1 minute spurts and have no real feel for his game yet.

Yes, totally agree. But based on everything we know about the NBA and what it values, Braswell has a better shot of being drafted, IMO, than Buddy. Unless some team does his old man a favor, or he improves in certain areas drastically.

Carey made 3's at a high percentage in high school, which is something Ben Simmons never did at any level. His shot isn't broken or anything like that. The sample size of his 3 point shooting in college is practically non-existent.

Definitely needs to improve decision making and ball security.

LOL. Ben Simmons is a 6'10 point forward that is a game wrecker and went #1 overall. Jalen Carey is a small guard that averaged about 5 ppg as a freshman and has maybe a 5% chance of being an NBA player.

The question should be is it more likely than not that they will have an NBA career because otherwise it turns into where the people that can't say anything negative about anyone ever battle against everyone else. Could Buddy get drafted. Sure. Is it likely? Heck no. He does have 1 NBA level skill though. Carey on the other hand has 0 that I've seen.

LOL. Ben Simmons is a 6'10 point forward that is a game wrecker and went #1 overall. Jalen Carey is a small guard that averaged about 5 ppg as a freshman and has maybe a 5% chance of being an NBA player.

I wasn't equating the two as players, if that's what you're getting at. You certainly realized I was comparing their shooting, like the guy before me was, no? I thought that was pretty obvious.

The question should be is it more likely than not that they will have an NBA career because otherwise it turns into where the people that can't say anything negative about anyone ever battle against everyone else. Could Buddy get drafted. Sure. Is it likely? Heck no. He does have 1 NBA level skill though. Carey on the other hand has 0 that I've seen.

That wasn't the question posed. If we're going by "likely" as the qualifier then there are like 20 guys in all of college bball that we can talk about.

I wasn't equating the two as players, if that's what you're getting at. You certainly realized I was comparing their shooting, like the guy before me was, no? I thought that was pretty obvious.

It was confusing because my brain couldn't comprehend the point of comparing a small guard that had an extremely disappointing season to a 6'10 beast that was the best Freshman in his class and went #1 overall. Might as well compare Buddy to Steph Curry since they both shoot well.

Shooting gets drafted. Look at Kyle Guy.

He's also a high IQ defender, which somewhat makes up for his lack of athleticism.

NBA doesn't only want you to shoot but you must be able to defend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom