Do we really want duke or NC State for a third time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Do we really want duke or NC State for a third time

I'm greedy. We have looked like a team much closer to figuring things out the past two games not unlike the team that hammered UNC last year. If this group can put it together a few wins in a row are not at all out of the question. I think Duke is scarier but NC State could be the bigger challenge with their current streak and having to beat a team a third time.
You always hear how difficult it is to beat a team for the third time in one season but without a hell of a psyche job on the NC St players, they know they are in for a tough game that they have failed at the first two times. The ball is totally in our court.... never up, never in. LETS GO ORANGE!

Much happier w/ State then Duke who had the shooters & ball-movement to destroy our zone.
NCSU has no real shooters and we can match them up better. VA in the 2nd round should be interesting as well, but we can definitely win that one too.

Last edited:
Much happier w/ State than Duke, who had the shooters & ball-movement to destroy our zone.
NCSU has no real shooters and we can match them up better. VA in the 2nd round should be interesting as well, but we can definitely win that one as well
Ok with State, but I don’t see how we beat Virginia. They ran away yesterday with Hauser and Ruff on the bench because their defense was better and they ran there offense. Too many shooters, a penetrator and a big who kills us. I’d like us to press them, but not to the point where we try to steal the ball but make them work a little and change tempo. I think it’s our only chance.

Ok with State, but I don’t see how we beat Virginia. They ran away yesterday with Hauser and Ruff on the bench because their defense was better and they ran there offense. Too many shooters, a penetrator and a big who kills us. I’d like us to press them, but not to the point where we try to steal the ball but make them work a little and change tempo. I think it’s our only chance.
FSU would slaughter us on the boards and their depth would bother us.

Simply put, if UVA isn’t hot from 3 they are definitely beatable for us

Florida State was 12-1 at home
3-4 on the road.

They aren’t good away from home.
Virginia is a well coached team who will know exactly what to do against us.

We had a better chance against FSU.

FSU‘s offense doesn’t always show up and their defensive intensity waivers from time to time. They don’t play great against zones either. Their size would be a problem, but they don‘s always play interested. I guess we’ll never know. We may go a season without playing them. They were pretty putrid against ND yesterday. They aren’t the same team when they play on the road. They play great at home.

FSU‘s offense doesn’t always show up and their defensive intensity waivers from time to time. They don’t play great against zones either. Their size would be a problem, but they don‘s always play interested. I guess we’ll never know. We may go a season without playing them. They were pretty putrid against ND yesterday. They aren’t the same team when they play on the road. They play great at home.
Know any other team like that?

If we come out w/ same-old, same-old Bennett will destroy us. Historically he owns JB.
We have to show some wrinkles on offense & defense. Also, kadary didn’t play well against them last time. If he brings his A-game and we get something from Jesse on Ruff- then we have a shot.

Florida State was 12-1 at home
3-4 on the road.

They aren’t good away from home.
Virginia is a well coached team who will know exactly what to do against us.

We had a better chance against FSU.
Florida State would have been the better matchup for us. We usually can compete with them. But I still think we’re about to go on a tourney run like we used to in the old Big East days.

If we come out w/ same-old, same-old Bennett will destroy us. Historically he owns JB.
We have to show some wrinkles on offense & defense. Also, kadary didn’t play well against them last time. If he brings his A-game and we get something from Jesse on Ruff- then we have a shot.

It may not work but if it were me, the armchair coach in this example, I would come out with full court pressure from the tip. Try and speed them up and turn the game into an up and down affair. UVA to this day still doesn't like to have to play faster and it causes issues with their shooting and chemistry. It could also backfire but it would be unexpected given we always do so last resort.

I also believe that N.C. State alone puts us in the tournament. All of the teams considered ahead of us have been dropping games.
Have seen a couple people mention this since late last night. FWIW, Lunardi did a Q&A with his Twitter followers last night at about 11pm (after SH, St. Louis, and Xavier had lost), and this was one of the questions. I'm sure it will surprise no one that Joe said that one win will not be enough. Now I hate him as much as the next guy, but chances are that one of these years he might get it right, only because statistically he can't be wrong every single year. What was disappointing to me is that I saw all 3 of the teams mentioned above still ahead of us in a lot of brackets.

Have seen a couple people mention this since late last night. FWIW, Lunardi did a Q &A with his followers last night at about 11pm (after SH, St. Louis, and Xavier had lost), and this was one of the questions. I'm sure it will surprise no one that Joe said that one win will not be enough. Now I hate him as much as the next guy, but chances are that one of these years he might be right -- statistically he can't be wrong every single year. What was disappointing to me is that I saw all 3 of the teams mentioned above still ahead of us in a lot of brackets.
He’s an entertainer and says things to entertain. Why so many fans follow him to try and get an accurate view of tourney seeding is something I will never understand. Especially in the era of the internet.

OK, you shamed me into it. Here's the list in the JB era:

UConn 83-84
BC 85-86
Providence 86-87
BC 87-88
Seton Hall 87-88
Providence 88-89
Seton Hall 88-89
Pitt 89-90
Pitt 92-93
BC 98-99
Georgetown 02-03
UConn 11-12
Pitt 18-19

BC and Pitt 3 times.
UConn, Providence and Seton Hall twice.
Georgetown once.
Do you know how many times SU has beaten a team twice but then lost the third game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom