Do you know exactly when JB went exclusively with the 2-3 zone? | Syracusefan.com

Do you know exactly when JB went exclusively with the 2-3 zone?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

The answer lies within, the exact game where the light went on for Jimmy.

It was sometime during the 1996 season, right? I don't remember playing exclusively zone before the 96 tournament when we went to the title game.

It was sometime during the 1996 season, right? I don't remember playing exclusively zone before the 96 tournament when we went to the title game.
The answer is in the JB interview with Tim Brando who was announcing the game where it happened.

Just watched it. I didn't get the exact game, but hey, at least I knew roughly when! Score.

Also, I like at the end they wind up mentioning restaurants at the tournaments and Jimmy had to stop himself midway through referencing Denny's.

We've played a ton of man since then, though. I don't think we were exclusively zone until about 2004, give or take a year.

We've played a ton of man since then, though. I don't think we were exclusively zone until about 2004, give or take a year.

The last time I remember we played man was Kansas 2008.

It's amazing how much it's evolved since '96.

I don't agree with that--we've been almost exclusively zone since 1996.

Played man before that, though.

I thought we played mostly man through most of that 08-09 season, especially the latter part. I don't remember a possession of man since the LeMoyne debacle though.

That's true--JB did experiment with some zone with that team [and we used it effectively at times, like the Kansas example you point out]. But by the time we'd gotten through the OOC portion of the schedule, we were back to playing exclusively zone.

"Exclusively" is hard to call. We played mostly man in the 2nd half of the Notre Dame debacle a few years ago. Not much if any that season, otherwise.

I don't agree with that--we've been almost exclusively zone since 1996.

Played man before that, though.

Through 2001, maybe 2002, I remember a lot of man as a somewhat routine defense that we played. Know those Etan/Hart teams played a bunch of it.

There are those Kansas and Notre Dame examples, too, though I think those were primarily zone teams that resorted to desperation moves (the Kansas one sticks out; Flynn and Harris were bad in the zone but played possessed in the last four minutes of regulation and brought us back).

No way of settling this, short of watching a ton of game film from that era.

We played some man in 2003 championship season. I remember we played man and full court pressure against Okie State when we were down and it turned that game around.

I thought the last time we played Man was the Lemonye Debacle. But I guess it's better we all forget about that.

I thought the last time we played Man was the Lemonye Debacle. But I guess it's better we all forget about that.

I can't remember any man since then. (Maybe during the 2011 Seton Hall game? I've blocked that out, too.)

But the use of man against Lemoyne remains one of the all-time greatest Jim Boeheim moves. Love it.

Just watched it. I didn't get the exact game, but hey, at least I knew roughly when! Score.

Also, I like at the end they wind up mentioning restaurants at the tournaments and Jimmy had to stop himself midway through referencing Denny's.

Pretty sure he said at halftime of the opening round game against Montana State - '96 NCAA tournament.

here's the thing. don't think our guys CAN'T play man just cuz JB is a total zone junkie. if you want to seriously F%K up a team preparing to play syracuse then open up in man to man. bazzinga.

We played some man in 2003 championship season. I remember we played man and full court pressure against Okie State when we were down and it turned that game around.

I disagree. There's a difference between man and full court pressure.

We did the latter, because we had a shotblocker [McNeil] to anchor the back line. But we didn't play traditional half-court man-to-man. At all.

agree. big difference between man defense and the trunk monkey press.

I disagree. There's a difference between man and full court pressure.

We did the latter, because we had a shotblocker [McNeil] to anchor the back line. But we didn't play traditional half-court man-to-man. At all.
Whatever-semantics in a way-because the pressure defense is man to man-not zone. Yes-after midcourt they fall into the zone, but my memory says we stay in man for a while.

I'd like to see more "pressure" D at times-even when SU is is the lead.

Whatever-semantics in a way-because the pressure defense is man to man-not zone. Yes-after midcourt they fall into the zone, but my memory says we stay in man for a while.

I'd like to see more "pressure" D at times-even when SU is is the lead.

Not semantics at all. There is a big difference between full court pressing and man-to-man.

But I agree with your last sentence 100%.

So let's split the baby in half!

so lawrence moten, derrick coleman, billy owens, sherm, pearl and really even john wallace didnt play 2-3 in their careers?

i thought that was the excuse that syracuse never had any successful nba players?

hey louisville pressed us backcourt and then collapsed into zone. regretfully report it worked pretty well.

agree. big difference between man defense and the truck monkey press.

I think it was "Trunk Monkey". Those commercials were funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom