Does any1 think Cooney is going to be redshirted? | Syracusefan.com

Does any1 think Cooney is going to be redshirted?

Cuse4

Scout Team
I mean if he's lower on the totem pole than Mookie...

Yes

Sent from my DROIDX

He will unless 2 players get hurt. He passes the look test, but you can tell he doesnt belong out there just yet. He does have a good stroke though.

Texted from my Droid...

Hope so. He talked how fast everything is right now. I think it would be beneficial.

I actually think he looks ready offensively ... defense probably a big question mark, but yet again Mook plays none whatsoever

I think he gets redshirted. He wasn't on the floor much. Nice stroke and he'll be a keeper down the road but he won't see the court much this year

he's got talent for sure but it comes down to a numbers issue.the minutes just aren't there unless somebody leaves (it happens) or goes down.one of the frosh guards should redshirt.

I hope they redshirt him. Would hate to see a year of his eligibility wasted if he isnt going to play much.

It's gonna be an interesting decision. Hard to see him get worthy minutes this year, but he is a tantalizing offensive player.

In the post game presser, JB was asked about the contributions of the freshmen. He thought that both MCW and Rak will be able to contribute - no mention of Cooney. My money is on a redshirt.

In the post game presser, JB was asked about the contributions of the freshmen. He thought that both MCW and Rak will be able to contribute - no mention of Cooney. My money is on a redshirt.
thought the exact same thing

He is what? 5th? 6th? In the guard rotation. I thought he looked good last night, nice looking stroke from 3, but I think we should take advantage of the depth we have. He could be a really nice offensive weapon and I’d rather utilize that as 35 minutes a game as a redshirt senior than 5 minutes as a true freshman.

Think of Andy and Kueth in their 5th years and think of what those teams are like if they never redshirted.

He is what? 5th? 6th? In the guard rotation. I thought he looked good last night, nice looking stroke from 3, but I think we should take advantage of the depth we have. He could be a really nice offensive weapon and I’d rather utilize that as 35 minutes a game as a redshirt senior than 5 minutes as a true freshman.

Think of Andy and Kueth in their 5th years and think of what those teams are like if they never redshirted.
Andy and Kueth redshirted due to injury. No argument about their contribution as 5th year seniors but if not for injury I do not believe they'd have been redshirted either. It's never really been JB's way if a guy can play and possibly contribute. With Cooney's shooting ability you can't tell me he won't be able to help in a few games this year. He also seemed to have a little bit of the scoring savvy we saw ala Gmac, in other words, he's not just a 3 pt shooter. DISCLAIMER ALERT Out of the mouth of my 14 year old last night about Cooney "He reminds me of Jimmer!" I had to smile and think, not quite, but wouldn't that be nice.

I agree with the other posters who think he's the best shooter on the team. He needs a few games under his belt to get up to college speed. I think it's a mistake to redshirt him solely due to his ability to give this team the one thing it doesn't have and that's a pure shooter. I believe a good team is composed of solid role players that are really good at 1 or 2 things. If he can turn into a Andy Routins, Matt Roe, or GMAC...than we will have a nice weapon off the bench. There are shooters and there are athletes who learn to be shooters, the key is if he can get in a real game, hold his own on defense and knock down a couple shots. If he does that, he could jump up in the rotation.

Dirty Southerland should be redshirted as well.

That way if it doesn't work out for him after his Redshirt Junior season (2012-13) he can transfer without having to sit out a year.

That would be best for everyone involved.

DISCLAIMER ALERT Out of the mouth of my 14 year old last night about Cooney "He reminds me of Jimmer!"

Did your 14 year old sit next to me? Or do we have the same 14 year old? My 14 year old sad the same thing, as did the 40 something guy sitting on the other side of me. ;)

Andy and Kueth redshirted due to injury. No argument about their contribution as 5th year seniors but if not for injury I do not believe they'd have been redshirted either. It's never really been JB's way if a guy can play and possibly contribute. With Cooney's shooting ability you can't tell me he won't be able to help in a few games this year. He also seemed to have a little bit of the scoring savvy we saw ala Gmac, in other words, he's not just a 3 pt shooter. DISCLAIMER ALERT Out of the mouth of my 14 year old last night about Cooney "He reminds me of Jimmer!" I had to smile and think, not quite, but wouldn't that be nice.

Absolutely correct, JB rarely redshirts non-injured players, but I would argue that this year’s depth could change that equation.

I keep hearing the “he’ll be the shooter off the bench” argument. Do we ever do that? I think every preseason for the last 3 years people have been saying that Mookie or Southerland or whoever would have the coveted role of “the shooter off the bench”, and then the season comes and they’re generally sitting there in warm up gear, while non-shooters like Kris(2 years ago) and CJ(last year) come in, even in games when the team could use a spark. The bench this year is going to be CJ, Keita, Waiters, then maybe one of MCW or Southerland. I really don’t see where these minutes are coming from for Cooney. Again, in a best case scenario for him, he’s the 5th guard off the bench, which means he isn’t going to play outside of blowouts. Not knocking the kids game, he’s just on a team with a ton of talent 1-10.

People are also basing the decision solely on offense(i.e., 2-3 jump shots). We didn’t really play zone last night, so we have no idea what kind of defender he is. That’s a huge part of the eventual answer. Time will tell, I suppose.

That way if it doesn't work out for him after his Redshirt Junior season (2012-13) he can transfer without having to sit out a year.

i thought that as well last night, but dont know what the odds are of that happening, i would guess slim to none

I agree... Southerland is not gonna play much this year. He did not look good out there last night. I think next year we will definitely need him. Why not allow him to simply pack on muscle this year. I would red-shirt both him and Cooney, but I know that ultimately won't happen.

I think they will need him.
I always like Desko's approach. The shirt can always come off, if needed. Why not approach it that way early, and baring need, adjust accordingly.

Does anyone even know if Cooney would be amenable to taking a redshirt? Presumably yes, but I don't think you would redshirt him if he doesn't want to be redshirted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom