Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone believe that with a new football coach and the current level of talent, that Syracuse could contend for an ACC title?

Kansas and Duke recruit like us, and improved with better coaching.
duke recruits better than us..See Riley Leonard, their starting QB, who chose Duke over he Cuse...and left us with Shrader out of the portal.

There’s a big difference in the infrastructure at Syracuse when we hired grob/marrone/Shaffer/and even when we first hired dino to today. The foundation of the program is in a much better place. Now we need to bring in a good to great gameday coach who can make the most of the improved situation.
Your statement about improved infrastructure is true, but it is still not equal to our rivals. I spoke directly with an assistant coach, who shall remain nameless, who said, we have good HS players interested, but they all want NIL money, and we can't compete with the offers they get from other schools. So, as long as that is the case, it doesn't matter who the coach is... We as Cuse fans, need to wake up to this NIL reality, because it is a huge deal, and we are just trying to get in the game and playing catch up as usual.

You mention The Right Hire and Resources! Better Resources is the key...We can't bring in talent via the Portal or HS recruiting with out cash money. Yesterday's game against Florida State is a prime example of the portal problem we have: We lose the talented DE , who played against us for Albany last year...Albany, which is right down the street...and he goes to Florida State..Why? More money! People on this thread keep ignoring that fact and want to just blame coaching. The people who say money doesn't solve problems...are the people who don't have money...or don't understand how money works.
Better funding addresses # 1 and #2 on your expectation list...even with the current coach.
Assuming we have unlimited resources like Texas A&M. It most likely will not fix what is wrong with Dino. It's in his DNA just like it's in Jimbos. Some issues especially with an older coach like Dino can't be fixed.

On the other hand, what if we used our limited resources on a better coach. One that actually is excellent on a minimum of one side of the ball. One who has long term relationships in our key recruiting territories... Might we be a better team?

Success in the portal isn’t about coach competency it’s about how much NIL money coaches have to offer.

Dino’s successor won’t do any better if he doesn’t have more NIL backing.
not true.

I argued with Cuse fans who claimed we shouldn’t get him because he isn’t a good coach.. a lot of mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion.
I like Coach O! He was here as an assistant on Coach P's staff and credits Coach P with helping him learn how to be a coach and helped rebuild is reputation. Having said that, Coach O is used to making big money!! (See USC and LSU)...We don't have that kind of money unless he wants to take a huge pay cut...and, while he is a great recruiter, he will be facing odds at the Cuse, the likes of which, he hasn't had to deal with so much..ie, the lack of cash to pay players!

Assuming we have unlimited resources like Texas A&M. It most likely will not fix what is wrong with Dino. It's in his DNA just like it's in Jimbos. Some issues especially with an older coach like Dino can't be fixed.

On the other hand, what if we used our limited resources on a better coach. One that actually is excellent on a minimum of one side of the ball. One who has long term relationships in our key recruiting territories... Might we be a better team?
Dino wins in the ACC with Texas A and M talent...and if you think that isn't true, than you don't understand football!

Success in the portal isn’t about coach competency it’s about how much NIL money coaches have to offer.

Dino’s successor won’t do any better if he doesn’t have more NIL backing.
I disagree it’s much like running an nfl office, your coach and athletic department have to be smart and savvy in order to make NIL work. You can invest terribly no matter how much money you have.

It wasn’t “Utah”. It was an auto dealership and their collective.
It doesn't matter...they have a system to get kids cars/ cash, and we don't. We have dealeships in Syracuse. Bill Rapp used to supply cars to SU athletes back in the day(I don't know how they got them)..Why don't we have dealers donating cars?

Dino wins in the ACC with Texas A and M talent...and if you think that isn't true, than you don't understand football!
Yeauhhh ….. a lot of coaches would. Look at what is going on at Duke and Kansas right now. Two wel made savvy hires and they a rolling. We need to get someone that is right for us, I could care less about a splash hire. We need to build stability.

I disagree it’s much like running an nfl office, your coach and athletic department have to be smart and savvy in order to make NIL work. You can invest terribly no matter how much money you have.
We will never know how savvy we are as investors until we get the money to invest.

We will never know how savvy we are as investors until we get the money to invest.
We currently have 45 million to play with lol. How dire do you think things are?

We currently have 45 million to play with lol. How dire do you think things are?
Then Why were we not able to keep Deuce and Carter from leaving nor were able to secure the all ACC first team DE, who played for Albany but chose Florida State ?

It doesn't matter...they have a system to get kids cars/ cash, and we don't. We have dealeships in Syracuse. Bill Rapp used to supply cars to SU athletes back in the day(I don't know how they got them)..Why don't we have dealers donating cars?

It’s costing the Utah collective $6m for the one year.

At OSU, PSU, MSU, etc... their NIL funds will give you a fully loaded SUV for you to use when it's cold and snowy.

At Syracuse, they give you a shovel and a snow brush.
It’s the lack of sunshine in the winter as much as anything. Lots of places get snow. Also, for years/decades, this has been an aging, economically depressed/stagnant area.
Now, young professionals are moving to Syracuse. More will come with Micron and the ancillary startups.
Would love to see Micron put in a huge # toward NIL. Take $20M of the $500 they are putting into NFPs in the area and off we go.

Oh i understand football. Dino would probably do better with it than Jimbo who in my opinion is the most overrated head coach in college football. I still think his lack of in game decision making acumen wouldn’t win the title.

Where did you get this figure from ?
Idk if 45 Million is accurate or not but I do know we are getting outbid by schools with significantly bigger budgets. It’s all relative.

I argued with Cuse fans who claimed we shouldn’t get him because he isn’t a good coach.. a lot of mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion.
He’s isn’t a good coach and again he‘s never coming north of the mason dixon to coach anything. He’s living the good life now and made a ton of $ and pretty much retired unless someone wants to pay him a ton of $.

the talent the 2019 LSU team was once in a lifetime really. Everyone of those coaches… OC/DC/ HC have not been great or even good since then.

Last edited:
Where did you get this figure from ?
Idk if 45 Million is accurate or not but I do know we are getting outbid by schools with significantly bigger budgets. It’s all relative.
Well, if they spend it, then they won’t have $45 million.