Does Coach really believe this? | Syracusefan.com

Does Coach really believe this?

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Post game quote

"I'm not concerned about our team," Boeheim said. "I think we've played well all year. I think we've struggled shooting, and I think that's pretty well-documented. But in spite of that, we won 27 games, so I'm pretty pleased with what these guys have done, and I believe we'll be a very good tournament team."

Im pretty sure he just has to say this publicly. Although he has had a history of telling it like it is..even when its not good. But I would guess he took the temperature of this team and realized beating them up..even if deserved, is not going to help some of the fragile egos.

Having said that..If he really DOES believe it....then I am watching a different team than he is...

JB sees the writing on the wall; they can't shoot and there's not really much he can do at this point. I would like to see Grant and Rak get mroe touches, but they aren't gonna put up 20 a game each. To be a good this year we needed Fair, Cooney and Ennis to amke shots, and they aren't.

Beohiem's is the one who put doubt in our team's mind when we were undefeated, " we are really more like a 5-6 loss team than 25-0". And it was also Beohiem who went out of his way to make it known how much he detests Greensboro and made it a very uncomfortable and hostile place in our teams mind.

It isn't only the shooting. Fair got himself good shots -- and next time out he will make more of those.

There isn't much offense from Cooney, Gbinije, Keita or Christmas.

The team had opportunities in transition -- got some finishes, blew several others.

Not much inside play, other than Grant. If we had better finishes in transition, and a few more drive moves by others, we wouldn't have to be talking about outside shooting.

I doubt JB believes that or is happy with how things have turned out. I don't see anything offensive in what he said though.

Beohiem's is the one who put doubt in our team's mind when we were undefeated, " we are really more like a 5-6 loss team than 25-0". And it was also Beohiem who went out of his way to make it known how much he detests Greensboro and made it a very uncomfortable and hostile place in our teams mind.
You cannot be serious.

Well, since making shots is the biggest problem, and confidence is the key to improvement at this late point in the year, I believe that is exactly what he should say. His players need to know that he believes that they can make shots.

The coaches aren't going to change anyone's form in the next week. However, they can try to improve the team's belief in their shot-making ability. I suspect Hopkins, GMac, etc will be all over that this week.

giphy.gif

"I'm not concerned about our team," Boeheim said.

i'd be very concerned.

I believe it. If we could shoot we'd have maybe 1 loss. UVA might not have went on the same run if we were making shots in the 2nd half thus putting more pressure on their shooters.

We'll still be tough out in the tourney depending on how the brackets roll out but we HAVE to try something different on offense. We keep trying the square peg, round hole theory and it's a joke at this point. Run a pick and roll with Grant or Fair vs Xmas or Keita, stop passing to CJ 18+ feet from the hoop, pull the green light from Cooney until he hits a few shorter shots to find his range/confidence, have Ennis shoot more 3's instead of dribbling back and forth across the foul line, throw some alley oops, and overall have Rak, Grant, and CJ crash the boards.

My amusement has to do with the idea that those things had anything at all to do with the loss last night.
Because players mindset doesn't have anything to do with performance?

It's actually abundantly apparent that the team has no coordinated methodology for scoring the ball. The contrast between our team and the ones we play could not be more delineated. Other teams patiently execute offensive sets in an effort to get the ball to spots where they have good looks. We, on the other hand seemingly have different ill conceived plays which feature off balance, circus type shots that have little chance of going in. The limited dimension of Syracuse's scoring allows opponents to key in on our best scorers and make it nearly impossible for them to get 1. A good look, 2. Enough time to position themselves to take a "reasonable" shot.

The twisting, spinning, whirlling shots by Grant, although can appear spectacular, are not the type of shots that you want to characterize your offensive arsenal. And Cooney... OMG, where do we start? The kid has been so incessantly covered by a designated Cooney stalker that he likely wouldn't have enough space to reach inside his shorts to adjust his cup much less square up and take a decent shot. Rak, need I even write anything here? simply put, Ouch!

In the end what we have is a catastrophic loss of confidence and a very dysfunctional offense which features some very talented players who have lost the ability to PLAY TOGETHER and have been relegated to playing one on one basketball in a very ineffective manner.

It's really a shame.

Last edited:
It's actually abundantly apparent that the team has no coordinated methodology for scoring the ball. The contrast between our team and the ones we play could not be more delineated. Other teams patiently execute offensive sets in an effort to get the ball to spots where they have good looks. We, on the other hand seemingly have a different ill conceived plays which feature off balance, circus type shots that have little chance of going in. The limited dimension of Syracuse's scoring allows opponents to key in on our best scorers and make it nearly impossible for them to get 1. A good look, 2. Enough time to position themselves to take a "reasonable" shot.

The twisting, spinning, whirlling shots by Grant, although can appear spectacular, are not the type of shots that you want to characterize your offensive arsenal. And Cooney... OMG, where do we start? The kid has been so incessantly covered by a designated Cooney stalker that he likely wouldn't have enough space to reach inside his shorts to adjust his cup much less square up and take a decent shot. Rak, need I even write anything here? simply put, Ouch!

In the end what we have is a catastrophic loss of confidence and a very dysfunctional offense which features some very talented players who have lost the ability to PLAY TOGETHER and have been relegated to playing one on one basketball in a very ineffective manner.

It's really a shame.

I mostly agree with this. Our offense breaks down almost every possession into Fair, Grant, or Ennis making some kind of 1 on 1 playground move to create their own shot. Rarely are good shots created by the flow of the offense. This has been happening over multiple seasons to different degrees.

Why does Cooney treat himself as strictly a catch and shoot player? He rarely gets the ball in his hands unless it is to take a hurried shot. He must work on his skills with the ball. Put it on the floor so the defense cant just play in your jock, Trevor.

Maybe he said that because it was absolutely true. This team has been in every single game till the last 35 seconds except for Virginia. If the season hadn't been so backloaded and we were 23-2 instead of 25-0 and ended the season at 4-2 instead of 2-4 would the fanbase have had more realistic expectations? Maybe - just maybe JB was telling it like it was and is proud how the team battles in every game but realistic in evaluating how close we have been to a much more disappointing record. What is encouraging is that this team consistently puts itself in a position to win and that the season has shown that like SU there are few consistently dominant teams out there either. Go SU!

we are shooting in the 30th percentiles last several games. i'm saying i would be concerned.

Maybe he said that because it was absolutely true. This team has been in every single game till the last 35 seconds except for Virginia. If the season hadn't been so backloaded and we were 23-2 instead of 25-0 and ended the season at 4-2 instead of 2-4 would the fanbase have had more realistic expectations? Maybe - just maybe JB was telling it like it was and is proud how the team battles in every game but realistic in evaluating how close we have been to a much more disappointing record. What is encouraging is that this team consistently puts itself in a position to win and that the season has shown that like SU there are few consistently dominant teams out there either. Go SU!

There is some validity to your point, but my eyes see what my eyes see, and it doesn't look like a team that is poised to do great things. Teams do sometimes get on a roll in the NCAAs but this team has really not been dominant at all, even in December. I am hopeful for some crazy roll we get on, but the only game we have looked decent on the floor in out of the last several is FSU.

Just watched the presser. JB's interest in being there was considerably less than his interest in leaving. He was mad as hell. He just didn't want to say so.

I mostly agree with this. Our offense breaks down almost every possession into Fair, Grant, or Ennis making some kind of 1 on 1 playground move to create their own shot. Rarely are good shots created by the flow of the offense. This has been happening over multiple seasons to different degrees.

Why does Cooney treat himself as strictly a catch and shoot player? He rarely gets the ball in his hands unless it is to take a hurried shot. He must work on his skills with the ball. Put it on the floor so the defense cant just play in your jock, Trevor.
Yea I still don't understand the notion around here that Syracuse got good shots but they didn't go in... It happens every game... Truth of the matter is, the shots they are getting with this personnel isn't good... No one creates for others EXCEPT ennis. 1 player on the floor can create for others on this team. Cooney hasn't dribbled since 'NAM, Fair and Grant really never effectively pass. Whenever they drive it is to score. No continuity on this offense... "We got good shots but they didn't fall." What game are you watching? CJ Fair shooting an open three isn't a good shot this year. He's shooting 25%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom