Does this Dino Babers-led football program feel a little different? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does this Dino Babers-led football program feel a little different?

It feels different to me. We're not an annual 9 or 10 win program, we'll lose games and we likely won't ever have the depth to sustain major injuries at key positions, but I just don't see us consistently playing flat against teams we're better than or laying complete eggs against anybody. Nobody is going to outwork us ever and that's a big change I see.

Definitely a risk. But if Dino ever stayed here and puts this program back on the next level where it belongs, he'd be a freaking legend -- he'd eclipse Mac, IMO.
Yes, but that's just a rhetorical question. Does Dino want to be a legend where it's cold and gray 6 months a year or does he want to get back out to those Pacific beaches where it's easier to recruit and make a lot more money? If his heart is set on leaving for greener pastures, eventually he will. Doesn't mean it's imminent, but I sure hope he can stick around for a few more seasons until we can establish a coaching pipeline to sustain what he builds up.

TD is the most important piece, probably, but he isn't "all that matters". There are a lot of guys on the team and they all need to perform to have a successful season. We can get 6 wins without TD because we have a lot of talent on offense and defense. The upside is certainly much higher with a healthy TD, however.

If he played 0 games this year we wouldn't sniff 6 wins, fact. I don't know how that could even be arguable.

My recollection of 1987 is that it was a perfect storm. We were coming off of a season where we had a losing record, McPherson might have broken his leg, but there were some great pieces of the puzzle in place. Mac could recruit -- talent was there.

But I also remember being nervous about the opener at Maryland. And the Penn State game seemed like no sure thing, which seems ridiculous in retrospect given how we rolled them. After that, it was like the season just exploded.

I think that what we're seeing now with the program's resurgence is similar in some respects. We're coming off a time where the program was downtrodden for an extended period of time. The new head coach is charismatic as hell, and has brought in VERY good players. And the breakthrough season happened when it wasn't necessarily expected to. The resurgence is based upon having an innovative offensive system [then and now], which helps us compete with more blue chip programs that recruit at a higher level, on paper.

That said, with all due respect -- because I love Coach Mac -- I think Dino is a better head coach. Another winning season, and things will really take off. They already have.

I agree with a lot of this. 87 felt like luck...that was followed up with solid coaching and recruiting. Dino's plan seems much more laid out, thought out and executed.

doug aint coming back.
Would never want him back. The difference in personality between Marrone and Coach Babers is too great and even greater than that is the difference in the culture of the program that Coach Babers has established. If Marrone came back, it would be like going back to the telegraph as the major form of communication. Go Coach Babers, Go Orange!!!!!!

What Edinger has done for S&C and team mentality is what is most exciting about the program.
Coach Edinger and his very able Staff bring not only knowledge, but also motivation and the feeling of family to the strength and conditioning program. Coach Edinger and Staff have these young men busting their humps, through motivation from the Staff, but more importantly, getting the young man to be self motivated. Hats off to the Staff and the Players. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but that's just a rhetorical question. Does Dino want to be a legend where it's cold and gray 6 months a year or does he want to get back out to those Pacific beaches where it's easier to recruit and make a lot more money? If his heart is set on leaving for greener pastures, eventually he will. Doesn't mean it's imminent, but I sure hope he can stick around for a few more seasons until we can establish a coaching pipeline to sustain what he builds up.

You're right about one thing -- it is up to him. But nobody knows what his preferences are, where he wants to end up, etc. It is all speculative. Maybe he'd want a shot at a blue chip, or maybe he'd feel more fulfillment constructing one of his own. Who knows?

What Edinger has done for S&C and team mentality is what is most exciting about the program.

I absolutely agree about the impact of the S&C under Edinger. I have no doubt that this is a big part of the "special sauce" that Dino tries to keep close to the vest.

But, THE most exciting thing about the program for me is Dino himself and his offense leveraging the advantages of playing in the DOME.

I’m happy for the people on this board . TBH
I didn’t know how far cuse had fallen I was always a big 10 guy . IMO this is the turning point wins plus big numbers by Tommy and u can book that ! Plus the WRs and Rbs it’s time to point to belief by evidence! This will net a big Qb , WR , Rb in the future . And if Dino sees this hopefully he never leaves

I’m happy for the people on this board . TBH
I didn’t know how far cuse had fallen I was always a big 10 guy . IMO this is the turning point wins plus big numbers by Tommy and u can book that ! Plus the WRs and Rbs it’s time to point to belief by evidence! This will net a big Qb , WR , Rb in the future . And if Dino sees this hopefully he never leaves

With Dinos extension, I think he may be making more at Cuse, than Helton at USC.

Being the exactly right age to answer this question (44), I can tell you it is very different. Dino has changed the culture and perception of Syracuse Football.

With Dinos extension, I think he may be making more at Cuse, than Helton at USC.

What is Helton making? Dino is being paid well. I'd be surprised if there was much of a difference.

As one poster made me realize his 4 mil here is more than 8 mil in Cali. He buys a 500,000 dollar house here that’s 4000 sq ft and in Cali that house is 2.4 mill. U make more but u spend more.

If he left for USC after this season for double the money I would understand. However deep down I hope he's a guy that is content at Cuse and wants to be here till he's ready to retire.

The team and its current and potential future success definitely feels legit but we all know sports especially college sports can be Cylical especially for teams that are in that second tier of programs. Programs like Clemson, Ohio State, PSU, Mich, Oregon, FSU, OklahomaTexas, Georgia, Bama, Mich etc are usually pretty good to great year in an year out. For most other schools it all depends where you are on the cycle (save for Rutgers). A few years ago SU and Purdue were considered bad teams fnishign 4-8 or worse, now were 2 of the hotter teams especially us after securing a 10 win season and beating FSU, WVU, NC State, BC etc. Best thing fans can do is enjoy the ride as much as possible because there is no guarantee how long Babers will be here especially with all the issues at USC that we have mentioend here multiple times.

Also udnerstand that teams taking a step back at our level is inevitable and maybe not the worst thing in the world. SU going 4-8 in Babers second year kept the vultures away and really propelled us to last years record. This year I am rooting to win every game but if we go 8-4 and the team takes a slight step back and USC looks elsewhere its not the end of the world.

I knew for sure that things are different when I witnessed the size of our crowd at the Camping World Bowl.

25K-30K SU fans.

Traveling.

Never seen anything like it.

Dino has people believing, which is remarkable considering where this program has been since 2001.

As one poster made me realize his 4 mil here is more than 8 mil in Cali. He buys a 500,000 dollar house here that’s 4000 sq ft and in Cali that house is 2.4 mill. U make more but u spend more.
Heres how, "almost free" homes are in Syracuse. Median cuse home, 87k. Median LA, 686k 500k here, is 4 Million LA. Where I live, a mobile home will run you 250k(price of the dirt). Nationally, homes are 3X the price of Syracuse.

8x more expensive at USC.

We need the West Coast and Top Tier SEC schools to Hold tight for two more years minimally. By then the New Stadium, ACC Network, and SUs roster ,reputation, and financial foundation will be solid. In short we will be in position to either retain Dino or hire an excellent coach and staff. We need two more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom