Does Tyus leave... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

The assist-to-turnover is especially disappointing, and it can't be explained away by dismissing his teammates - the much less talented Cooney, for instance, played with equally mediocre teammates and still managed positive (if not good) numbers here.
Uh no way. At least not from an offensive ability standpoint. Cooney played with G, rak, mali, Lydon, fair etc. not close.

Comparing Tyus to Triche is a good comparison. Both stronger guards who weren’t the quickest. I think both could have/can shoot the ball better. Triche was a better passer though.

McCullough? Lol

Again, you're comparing a guy you're saying is an NBA prospect to two guys that never even was mentioned to the NBA.

He is having a poor showing for an NBA prospect, that's the conversation. If we were talking face to face I'd talk slower for you so you could comprehend that

We can just use screenshots of where he was previously in mocks and where he is now if pictures are easier...

Not that mocks,mean everything but Givony sure has more of a clue than any of us.

McCullough? Lol

Again, you're comparing a guy you're saying is an NBA prospect to two guys that never even was mentioned to the NBA.

He is having a poor showing for an NBA prospect, that's the conversation. If we were talking face to face I'd talk slower for you so you could comprehend that

You said he was poor. That’s not accurate at all. Don’t get mad at me because you didn’t clarify that. And you’re still wrong and id tell that to your face slowly.

Btw, compare his numbers to Eric Devendorf’s. They are better, except for 3pt shooting.

We can just use screenshots of where he was previously in mocks and where he is now if pictures are easier...

Not that mocks,mean everything but Givony sure has more of a clue than any of us.

None of that matters. I’m saying Tyus has been pretty good, not poor. Mocks are meaningless.

None of that matters. I’m saying Tyus has been pretty good, not poor. Mocks are meaningless.

Poor in a vacuum and poor as an NBA early entry guy are 2 completely different things. Think we're all discussing the latter.

They are, but that’s not the point. Clearly, Tyus Battle hasn’t been “poor”.

No, I don't agree that Battle's been poor. Poor relative to expectations, maybe. Depends on one's expectations. As for stats compared to Cooney, many of them aren't substantially better. Assist-to-turnover? That's jaw-dropping. I can't think of a Syracuse guard with a negative ratio, much less something like 32:52. That's terrible. Cooney never did that, DeShaun Williams never did that.

Uh no way. At least not from an offensive ability standpoint. Cooney played with G, rak, mali, Lydon, fair etc. not close.

You're letting time (and the inability to see how Brissett, Chukwu, et al. develop during their full college careers) warp your perception. There's no way that Richardson and his .369 career field goal percentage propped up Cooney's assist numbers (or had any affect on his turnovers) in a way that advantaged him over Battle. If you guys want to grasp at that sort of thing, let's not argue about it, but it's a bizarre and erroneous contention that a guy who played on teams that shot .437, .430, and .425 was rich in offensive options but a player whose team is shooting .428 from the field can't get an assist because his teammates can't shoot.

We're Triche and Cooney NBA prospects?

You didn't mention Frank or Brissett

Frank is where Battles 2 assists are coming from. Brissett shoots 33% from the floor. Thanks for making my point.

Poor in a vacuum and poor as an NBA early entry guy are 2 completely different things. Think we're all discussing the latter.

I’m talking about poor as in actual performance in games that matter. Battle at 20 ppg is certainly not poor. Syracuse is 15-6 and has been in every game but 1. That ain’t poor. It’s a limited team. What do you expect from Battle? 5 assists per game?

His NBA prospects have been poor, he hasn't been pretty good. If he was we'd be better and his NBA prospects would be better

No, I don't agree that Battle's been poor. Poor relative to expectations, maybe. Depends on one's expectations. As for stats compared to Cooney, many of them aren't substantially better. Assist-to-turnover? That's jaw-dropping. I can't think of a Syracuse guard with a negative ratio, much less something like 32:52. That's terrible. Cooney never did that, DeShaun Williams never did that.

You're letting time (and the inability to see how Brissett, Chukwu, et al. develop during their full college careers) warp your perception. There's no way that Richardson and his .369 career field goal percentage propped up Cooney's assist numbers (or had any affect on his turnovers) in a way that advantaged him over Battle. If you guys want to grasp at that sort of thing, let's not argue about it, but it's a bizarre and erroneous contention that a guy who played on teams that shot .437, .430, and .425 was rich in offensive options but a player whose team is shooting .428 from the field can't get an assist because his teammates can't shoot.

What were the expectations for Battle then? 20ppg? How many assists? How many rebounds? He’s a shooting guard. His numbers are better than Devendorf’s who was a very good player. Of course Battle hasn’t been poor. Your first sentence is correct.

His NBA prospects have been poor, he hasn't been pretty good. If he was we'd be better and his NBA prospects would be better

When did the draft happen? Is the season even over?

Comparing Tyus to Triche is a good comparison. Both stronger guards who weren’t the quickest. I think both could have/can shoot the ball better. Triche was a better passer though.

True, but Triche also had a LOT better teammates to pass it to.

That said, Tyus has pretty much zero PG skills.
(no matter what his Dad may say)
He didn't display any last year, and he hasn't yet this year.
It's just not part of his game. Or else we would have seen it, even by accident.

Even Mali was a better playmaker for others than Tyus is.
And Dion was WAAAAAY better at setting up teammates than Tyus may ever be.

What were the expectations for Battle then? 20ppg? How many assists? How many rebounds? He’s a shooting guard. His numbers are better than Devendorf’s who was a very good player. Of course Battle hasn’t been poor. Your first sentence is correct.

I'd expect a 6'6 athletic guard that plays 40mpg with a 29% usage rate that is a projected 1st rd talent to avg at least what he' scoring and then add at least 4 rebs & 4 asts at a 1-1 to ratio. Also expect avg shooting from deep if taking 7 per game.

I don't know, what were yours? Seriously, share.

I thought he'd improve on nearly every stat from last season other than three-point percentage, which was bound to drop from an unrealistically-high 36% as his attempts doubled.

My prediction would've been 18 points per game on 45+% shooting, about 33 or 34% from three (what he's doing now isn't good, but I'm not complaining), 80-84% from the line with 8 or 9 attempts per game (his percentage is fine; his attempts aren't there because he's settling for jump shots and his teammates can't space the floor for him to drive the lane), and 3 (my expectation) or 4 (my hope) assists per game with -- and this should go without saying -- a positive assist-to-turnover ratio equal to or better than every single scholarship two-guard who's ever played for Jim Boeheim. I don't care about his rebounds. Brissett and the centers are grabbing plenty of boards.

I don't understand the Devendorf bit - this is the second time you've claimed something that's objectively not true. It's not accurate that Battle's numbers are "better than Devendorf's" - Devendorf always shot better from three, in three of four years he shot better from the floor, and (despite being careless with the ball and an indifferent distributor) he managed a better assist-to-turnover than Battle every season.

Last edited:
When Tyus turns the ball over and fails to create offense - its because our team is bad and he has no options.

When Frank turns the ball over or fails to create offense - despicable we have a year in Syracuse basketball where this is our guard. He’ll surely lose minutes next year even though HW is our only other pg. Turnover machine.

One thing that has to be factored in is that Battle is really the only guy opponents are keying on.
He's the guy they don't want to beat them.

I don't know, what were yours? Seriously, share.

I thought he'd improve on nearly every stat from last season other than three-point percentage, which was bound to drop from an unrealistically-high 36% as his attempts doubled.

My prediction would've been 18 points per game on 45+% shooting, about 33 or 34% from three (what he's doing now isn't good, but I'm not complaining), 80-84% from the line with 8 or 9 attempts per game (his percentage is fine; his attempts aren't there because he's settling for jump shots and his teammates can't space the floor for him to drive the lane), and 3 (my expectation) or 4 (my hope) assists per game with -- and this should go without saying -- a positive assist-to-turnover ratio equal to or better than every single scholarship two-guard who's ever played for Jim Boeheim. I don't care about his rebounds. Brissett and the centers are grabbing plenty of boards.

I don't understand the Devendorf bit - this is the second time you've claimed something that's objectively not true. It's not accurate that Battle's numbers are "better than Devendorf's" - Devendorf always shot better from three, in three of four years he shot better from the floor, and (despite being careless with the ball and an indifferent distributor) he managed a better assist-to-turnover than Battle every season.

I expected 17-18 ppg, 3-4 rebounds per game and not more than 2 assists per game. So you don’t care about rebounds, and neither do I. It sounds like your issue is the turnovers. He’s had some games with a lot of turnovers, and some with few or none. 2.5 per game. Devendorf averaged 3.0 per game. I did point out that Devedorf shot better from 3, btw. Devo’s assist to TO ratio was basically 1-1, which isn’t good either.

One thing that has to be factored in is that Battle is really the only guy opponents are keying on.
He's the guy they don't want to beat them.
And he hasn’t adjusted well, that doesn’t translate well to the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom