Does Tyus leave... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

"I wish him the best but he has been poor and has the most flaws out of almost every early entrant we've had.”

The kid averages 20 ppg, shoots 33% from 3, 80% from the free throw line, 3 rebounds per game and 1-2 assists per game? Plays good defense. That’s “poor”?

Who is he going to pass the ball to in order to rack up all those assists?

Absurd.

What's absurd is thinking that 3 rebounds and 1 or 2 assists are good from a guard.

What's absurd is thinking that 3 rebounds and 1 or 2 assists are good from a guard.

From a 6'6 athletic specimen of a guard that plays 40 mins with a usage rate nearing 30%. But he averages 19 points though!

From a 6'6 athletic specimen of a guard that plays 40 mins with a usage rate nearing 30%. But he averages 19 points though!

There's no bigger Battle fan than I am, but I agree that his stats are rough for an SU off-guard. Below 1.2 points per shot, underwater assist-to-turnover...these are Jason Cipolla and Trevor Cooney numbers from a player who was allegedly going to be a taller Dion Waiters this season.

When a talented kid has a decent freshman year and everyone's talking NBA, right or wrong, it's assumed that he's going to improve his game during his second year. I don't see where Battle has done that. His defense is good, his outside shooting is adequate, and he's still a strong finisher and good free-throw shooter (though, partially due to factors outside his control, he's not attacking the rim nearly as often as I'd like). But I thought he was going to be a lot more than an inefficient scoring guard. The assist-to-turnover is especially disappointing, and it can't be explained away by dismissing his teammates - the much less talented Cooney, for instance, played with equally mediocre teammates and still managed positive (if not good) numbers here.

There's no bigger Battle fan than I am, but I agree that his stats are rough for an SU off-guard. Below 1.2 points per shot, underwater assist-to-turnover...these are Jason Cipolla and Trevor Cooney numbers from a player who was allegedly going to be a taller Dion Waiters this season.

When a talented kid has a decent freshman year and everyone's talking NBA, right or wrong, it's assumed that he's going to improve his game during his second year. I don't see where Battle has done that. His defense is good, his outside shooting is adequate, and he's still a strong finisher and good free-throw shooter (though, partially due to factors outside his control, he's not attacking the rim nearly as often as I'd like). But I thought he was going to be a lot more than an inefficient scoring guard. The assist-to-turnover is especially disappointing, and it can't be explained away by dismissing his teammates - the much less talented Cooney, for instance, played with equally mediocre teammates and still managed positive (if not good) numbers here.

Think people on here confuse criticism for hate or something and feel like it's so terrible to look at our players the same way we would other teams.

I could see that going both ways. On one hand, motivation could bring him back. On the other, there's the whole "this sucks, not why I came to SU, I need to get out of here and make whatever they'll pay me at some level."

Both of these assume he's not a likely first-rounder. Because, as we've seen, if that's the case he's taking off.
It all depends on what he really wants (duh!). As much as I like the players on this team I really think there are too many limitations/obstacles for them to become a top 25-30 team this year. Like many SU teams in the past they have enough talent that when they put it all together they can play with any team in the country on a given night. But it really comes down to just not enough. That being said it is going to be difficult for Tyus to perform on the big stage that it takes to make that leap from interesting talent to back half of the first round. But make no mistake, even if Tyus leaves and is drafted he is choosing ca$h and G-League irrelevance over increased fame/exposure that he would experience as one of the top players in college basketball on a top team.

How many rebounds and assists are shooting guards supposed to get? Brandon Triche and Trevor Cooney got 3 rebounds per game. 3 assists per game for Triche and 2 assists per game for Cooney.

And you didn’t answer my question. Who is he passing go to get more assists? Chuckwu? Dolejaz? Moyer?

How many rebounds and assists are shooting guards supposed to get? Brandon Triche and Trevor Cooney got 3 rebounds per game. 3 assists per game for Triche and 2 assists per game for Cooney.

How much more does Tyus have the ball compared to the two you mention? I'm willing to guess about as both of them combined.

And you didn’t answer my question. Who is he passing go to get more assists? Chuckwu? Dolejaz? Moyer?

We're Triche and Cooney NBA prospects?

You didn't mention Frank or Brissett obviously because it doesn't help your agenda nor explaining why Frank who has the ball as much as Battle can dish out assists.

Give it up

He's being graded on a curve because everyone assumes he's leaving. Same with Lydon last year. Both are good players but when you look at other teams with NBA players, they're more consistent, and just flat out much better, than our NBA guys these last 2 years.

Obviously a lot of them are, but there might be a little bit of a selection bias going on here.

There were 63 early entries for the draft last year; there are only 60 draft picks, plus that doesn't include college seniors or any international players. There are a lot of early entries who don't get drafted, or go late second round, every year. I'm just scanning the list from last year, even guys from "big schools", Isiah Briscoe for UK, Melo Trimble from maryland, DJ Wilson from Michigan, Kobi Simmons from Arizona. Sometimes guys are just done with college.

How much more does Tyus have the ball compared to the two you mention? I'm willing to guess about as both of them combined.

Triche played a lot of PG, so a lot. Cooney has the ball a lot. Neither of those two averaged 20ppg either, or led us in scoring.

If Battle's serious about leaving halfway through college to play in the NBA, I hope every one of his stats is a hell of a lot better than those of Trevor Cooney.

Triche played a lot of PG, so a lot. Cooney has the ball a lot. Neither of those two averaged 20ppg either, or led us in scoring.

Ok. So we're comparing Tyus to Cooney and Triche and agree with their usage they're close. If you can't comprehend why he isn't as big of a prospect you think then there's not much else to say to you.

You realize ones ppg isn't the only way to judge and rate a player right? Because that's the only thing you keep citing.

We're Triche and Cooney NBA prospects?

You didn't mention Frank or Brissett obviously because it doesn't help your agenda nor explaining why Frank who has the ball as much as Battle can dish out assists.

Give it up

What does being an NBA prospect have to do with anything?

Cooney had Rak, Gbinije, and McCullough to pass the ball to as a JR. Malachi, Gbinije, and Cooney as a SR. Only 2.3 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game.

Triche had CJ Fair, Southerland, Carter-Williams. 3 assists and 3 rebounds per game.

If Battle's serious about leaving halfway through college to play in the NBA, I hope every one of his stats is a hell of a lot better than those of Trevor Cooney.

They are, but that’s not the point. Clearly, Tyus Battle hasn’t been “poor”.

He's shooting in the low 40s from the field and low 30s from 3 while chucking up 16 shots per game and barely averages more assists and boards than we do. Poor isn't that far off, but if you just stared at his ppg then sure.

Those shooting percentages aren’t bad when you take into account how much of the load he has to carry.

Ok. So we're comparing Tyus to Cooney and Triche and agree with their usage they're close. If you can't comprehend why he isn't as big of a prospect you think then there's not much else to say to you.

You realize ones ppg isn't the only way to judge and rate a player right? Because that's the only thing you keep citing.

I comparing Battle’s numbers to our shooting guards from the recent past. Obviously, 20 ppg isn’t poor, 80% from the free throw line isn’t poor, and neither is 33% from 3. Is his defense poor? You realize there are other parts of the game than rebounding and assist stats, right?

I comparing Battle’s numbers to our shooting guards from the recent past. Obviously, 20 ppg isn’t poor, 80% from the free throw line isn’t poor, and neither is 33% from 3. Is his defense poor? You realize there are other parts of the game than rebounding and assist stats, right?

I think 33% from 3 for a shooting guard might be bordering on poor.

What does being an NBA prospect have to do with anything?

Cooney had Rak, Gbinije, and McCullough to pass the ball to as a JR. Malachi, Gbinije, and Cooney as a SR. Only 2.3 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game.

Triche had CJ Fair, Southerland, Carter-Williams. 3 assists and 3 rebounds per game.

McCullough? Lol

Again, you're comparing a guy you're saying is an NBA prospect to two guys that never even was mentioned to the NBA.

They are, but that’s not the point. Clearly, Tyus Battle hasn’t been “poor”.

He is having a poor showing for an NBA prospect, that's the conversation. If we were talking face to face I'd talk slower for you so you could comprehend that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom