Dome Renovation | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Macky44 said:
So i was right..the money will most likely go towards the veterans complex and not the Dome.

This color of money was never going to go towards the Dome.

CusefanATL said:
better than not winning the $500 million. And the inland port could be big.

Sucks for me driving in that area. Getting stuck behind side by side tractor trailers on 481 will blows chunks but the area could definitely use the jobs. I imagine that a large percentage of these jobs would go a long way in putting a dent in the inner city poverty rate we've been reading about recently.

NIMBYs are going to make this painful... So predictable

Which makes no sense, since the project is literally right off a major interstate. I would think (hope) that if that project were to get greenlit, then there would be a new off-ramp from 481 built to funnel traffic right into the site, so that other nearby roads would not be clogged up with tractor trailer traffic.

The only people who really should have an issue are those that live near the lone set of tracks that runs right through downtown Syracuse and right through the village of Jamesville that will see a major increase in train traffic. That's really the only problem I have with that project. It doesn't really seem like the track infrastructure is in place there for it to make a ton of sense. Something further north on 481 near the main train line would make much more sense.

Sucks for me driving in that area. Getting stuck behind side by side tractor trailers on 481 will blows chunks but the area could definitely use the jobs. I imagine that a large percentage of these jobs would go a long way in putting a dent in the inner city poverty rate we've been reading about recently.

Dude, I live .5 miles from 285. I have negative sympathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_285

The increase in traffic vs what inland ports can do to local economies is 100000% worth it.

Typically, numerous fringe businesses quickly pop up next to these ports.

and you are correct, inner city poverty will be cut down drastically.

That is not true. Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester would be done
I believe the point is more that NYC politicians rule the state and what's best for NYC gets blanketed across the entire state when those policies may not necessarily be best for all residents. The Medicare policy comes to mind first.

the NYC politicians should have a more statewide approach like most other states with a giant city, it would benefit us all.

I believe the point is more that NYC politicians rule the state and what's best for NYC gets blanketed across the entire state when those policies may not necessarily be best for all residents. The Medicare policy comes to mind first.

the NYC politicans should a more statewide approach like most other states with a giant city, it would benefit us all.

like higher taxes has little impact NYC because businesses have to be there. So raise raise raise raise.

Cuse, Buff, and Roch would not be run be the far left and in turn could be similar to a Tennessee.

Sucks for me driving in that area. Getting stuck behind side by side tractor trailers on 481 will blows chunks
At least you'll still have an interstate in a few years... unlike those of us who live in the southwestern suburbs.

Dude, I live .5 miles from 285. I have negative sympathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_285

The increase in traffic vs what inland ports can do to local economies is 100000% worth it.

Typically, numerous fringe businesses quickly pop up next to these ports.

and you are correct, inner city poverty will be cut down drastically.

Been there, brother. I can't even imagine what the new stadium will do to traffic in my old stomping grounds of Marietta/Vinings/Smyrna.

Been there, brother. I can't even imagine what the new stadium will do to traffic in my old stomping grounds of Marietta/Vinings/Smyrna.

Smynings is my current stomping grounds. Will be interesting to see how that works.

FYI the Cobb County commissioner of transportation (whatever he is called) issued a public apology for anyone that commutes on Windy Hill for the next year and half. I assume you are familiar with that area.

Smynings is my current stomping grounds. Will be interesting to see how that works.

FYI the Cobb County commissioner of transportation (whatever he is called) issued a public apology for anyone that commutes on Windy Hill for the next year and half. I assume you are familiar with that area.
Very familiar. My first apartment in Atlanta was on Windy Hill. I moved over by the Weather Channel and Cumberland Mall after that. I used to take 285 to 20 everyday for work.

I was at a conference yesterday with a high profile SU finance guy and his assistants. Listening to his line of questioning on various tax topics, I came to the conclusion that some sort of financing that contains tax exempt debt, public money and private naming rights is in the works. Of course the specific project was never mentioned but if you connected the dots, one could have easily seen how it was the dome they were referring to.

I really wish they would have moved ahead with the outer perimeter project. I live up 400 in Cumming and the sprawl and congestion is getting out of hand, even way up here.

It doesn't really seem like the track infrastructure is in place there for it to make a ton of sense. Something further north on 481 near the main train line would make much more sense.
I agree that this seems to make more sense further north on 481 (near main train line and closer to the Thruway). I keep thinking that once they knock down 81 and build "The Boulevard" (I believe they will) the traffic on 481 between 81 and 690 will pick up. Add the tractor trailers - if they build this near Jamesville Rd exit - and it might be quite the cluster-fluck around there.

Seems like it makes a lot more sense further north on 481 and I wonder why this isn't being discussed publicly. Anyone know anything about this?

I agree that this seems to make more sense further north on 481 (near main train line and closer to the Thruway). I keep thinking that once they knock down 81 and build "The Boulevard" (I believe they will) the traffic on 481 between 81 and 690 will pick up. Add the tractor trailers - if they build this near Jamesville Rd exit - and it might be quite the cluster-fluck around there.

Seems like it makes a lot more sense further north on 481 and I wonder why that isn't being discussed publicly. Anyone know anything about this?
I think one of the main points of having it near Jamesville is the close proximity of the intended workforce to be supplied by the poorer residents of the city. Moving it out to the northern 'burbs would negate that idea

I think one of the main points of having it near Jamesville is the close proximity of the intended workforce to be supplied by the poorer residents of the city. Moving it out to the northern 'burbs would negate that idea
Ah. Yeah, makes sense. But I still think it'll be a cluster on 481.

Last edited:
Are they expecting a lot of workers to be able to walk there (to work) from the city? I'll have to look at a map but the other location is not far if in a car. 4 miles from the proposed site?

Seems like it makes a lot more sense further north on 481 and I wonder why this isn't being discussed publicly. Anyone know anything about this?

There's a competing proposal, not backed by the Port or this URI money, for improvements to the existing DeWitt Yard that would create an inland port up there. The Port's argued that there isn't enough space up there.

Since these schemes rarely bring about private investment of the degree promised, I don't believe that's a legitimate concern. The Drumlins plan is flawed and I'll be surprised if it comes to fruition. It'll take awhile but I imagine that the DeWitt Yard will eventually be expanded instead.

Are they expecting a lot of workers to be able to walk there (to work) from the city? I'll have to look at a map but the other location is not far if in a car. 4 miles from the proposed site?

Ideally we wouldn't burden the poor (or anyone else) with the need to use a car; that's something that a lot of these insular CNY leaders miss.

But your concern highlights how poorly this "jobs = eradication of urban poverty" rationale is thought out. Looks nice on paper, but everything is more complicated than that.

A reasonable county-wide land use policy (and practice) would do a lot more good for the community and the poor than warehouse jobs in 13224 would.

Any idea where this National Veterans Resource Complex is going to be built?

When do we hear exciting new plans for the dome!?!?!

Any idea where this National Veterans Resource Complex is going to be built?

When do we hear exciting new plans for the dome!?!?!

On Waverly, where Hoople is located now.

no I would say they would be using public transportation, Centro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom