Dome Renovation | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Are you familiar with the project that added a roof to Arthur Ashe Stadium? Is that possibly a model for what they might do with the Carrier Dome?
c240f5bdef294a51a36c13a6e61271bc1.jpg

Also as you can see, the construction definitely impacted the interior of the arena. We simply cannot take the roof off and leave it uncovered so easily. We will have to, but it will likely require a clean up time, (we have no way to get water out unlike here) and that would stop its use until that is done (likely new turf).

Kelly, I wasn't coming after you at all and I am grateful that you shared what you heard. I hope you continue to do so. I only felt that XC was questioning if anyone made such an assertion, and I responded. Yours was the first I saw that may have had credibility and I just wanted to provide a counterpoint with what I have heard and know. I swear it was not an attack on you or anyone. I think it was the catalyst for a great conversation about feasibility, options, and expectations. Thank you again.
no worries but thank you for posting this. I understand the desire for everyone to debate the possibilities of what could happen and provide input based on their professional experience. some of it just goes way over the top at times. it will certainly be interesting to read the plan when they finally release the info.

no worries but thank you for posting this. I understand the desire for everyone to debate the possibilities of what could happen and provide input based on their professional experience. some of it just goes way over the top at times. it will certainly be interesting to read the plan when they finally release the info.
Kelly:

Just curious. Did your original post assert an intent to occupy and use the building during construction periods? What I read from you was that construction would begin after the season and there is an intent to keep the building usable during the seasons but I didn't see where you cited that construction would be happening during the seasons.

Kelly:

Just curious. Did your original post assert an intent to occupy and use the building during construction periods? What I read from you was that construction would begin after the season and there is an intent to keep the building usable during the seasons but I didn't see where you cited that construction would be happening during the seasons.

yes, construction after the season ended with the dome remaining open while the frame is built around it. my intent was only to share what I had heard. people jumped to conclusions about when the roof was going to be done.

So, is this meeting still happening today?

At a session for the Campus Master Plan in April 2015, preliminary ideas included the creation of university and academic promenades and renovations to key campus buildings, including the Carrier Dome.
The March 2 update session will be held at 4 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium inside the Schine Student Center, according to the release. It will be open to students, faculty and staff.

So, is this meeting still happening today?

At a session for the Campus Master Plan in April 2015, preliminary ideas included the creation of university and academic promenades and renovations to key campus buildings, including the Carrier Dome.
The March 2 update session will be held at 4 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium inside the Schine Student Center, according to the release. It will be open to students, faculty and staff.

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 59m59 minutes ago
A few minutes away from the start of a presentation on Syracuse's Campus Framework, which is setting the course for the future of the school

Speakers are Michael Speaks (Dean of Architecture) and Dennis Pieprz of Sasaki Associates (hired to help)

Current discussion is why campus framework is better term than master plan to describe what SU is doing.

Campus framework timeframe is about 20 years, according to Speaks.

Purpose of campus framework is to create best place to create successful academic strategic plan... #BuzzwordCity

Speaks mentions three goals of #Syracuse in academic plan: Support academic excellence, enrich student life, create vibrant campus.

Timeline being shown mentioning process began on my birthday in 2014 (Sept. 22). Also includes the May Carrier Dome survey.

Keys to the campus framework are sustainability (energy and land), mobility (allow for options) and campus arrival (distinguishing campus)

Pieprz done with that section. Speaks now talking about the history of campus.

Did not know this but makes sense: When Syracuse was built it was determined no single style of building would dominate campus.

Speaks: When #Syracuse was built it was intended for the school to have a close relationship with the community (town and gown).

More fun facts: First four buildings on campus were Hall of Languages, Holden Observatory, Crouse College and Tolley building.

Speaks: There are no proposed buildings in the ideas we're being shown today. Everything is conceptual.

Speaks: Mentions intention to renovate Archbold gymnasium, also get rid of cars and buses in front of Schine. Make it pedestrian only.

Three finalists picked for National Veterans Resource Complex: Adjaye Associates, Shop, Snohetta Design... Also finalists for Obama library

There will be public lectures with Q&As with each of the three finalists with first one in late March.

March 22, March 31 and April 7 are the lecture dates at Slocumb Hall. ...They will not discuss proposals but previous work.

They'll make presentations at the end of April and project will move forward with Board of Trustees.

Speaks says the Dome is still under study will be at the center of an "academic promenade," will fit in with ACC level facilities.

So the Carrier Dome wait continues. ... although it certainly sounds like university is intent on keeping it there (as we all expected)

chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 12m12 minutes ago
Speaks says framework will be made public in May after the Board of Trustees gives approval..

Sounds like Board of Trustees has seen far more than is being shown here today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom