Dome Renovation | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

So, we'll have a football field covered with permanently installed field turf, yet we'll easily remove the turf to reveal a 10 foot deep pit for basketball games.

If we fill the pit with water, we can bring back swimming and diving.
1st Dome had no A/C.

this Dome will have no heat.

in the winter they will just let the water freeze.

boom!! hockey.

Would someone be able to provide a TL/DR summary of this thread?

If they got rid of the big aisle surrounding the court and added a bunch of seats that way, I would love to see them filled with students. That would really maximize our home court advantage, would look great for TV and would make the Dome a lot more fun to watch games in. Leave the rest of the students where they are now.

It probably won't happen because of the revenue implications, but I think the basketball program is profitable enough now it would be very doable. If Duke and Pitt can make it work with their little arenas, we should be able to too.

I don't think the fire marshall will be too keen on eliminating access to emergency exits. They need the aisles to the exits, and the width of the aisles is determined by the amount of seats in the 100 sections.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that SU has looked at every possibility over the years to add seats at that level (the most lucrative one they have) and they are maxed out by code. Adding more in that aisle space means that some have to be removed to replace the aisle in another location.

Would someone be able to provide a TL/DR summary of this thread?
Monkey_Poo_for_you_pt4_by_Jays_Doodles.jpg

I don't think the fire marshall will be too keen on eliminating access to emergency exits. They need the aisles to the exits, and the width of the aisles is determined by the amount of seats in the 100 sections.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that SU has looked at every possibility over the years to add seats at that level (the most lucrative one they have) and they are maxed out by code. Adding more in that aisle space means that some have to be removed to replace the aisle in another location.
As far as I call tell, the Dome is unique in its setup. No other arena wastes such precious space for this purpose. You just don't see it at other places.

I think it came about because the Dome was not originally designed to host basketball games. They had a ton of space on the field between the stands and the court and they couldn't really use it all for seating because the angles of existing seats were too flat. So they made due with what was designed for football as best they could and gave the fans a second way to get to and from their seats.

When that large area that surrounds the court is eliminated, access to a given section will be limted to the aisles that run from the concourses to the seats in the section.
Period. Just as this is done at most arenas.

If the aisles need to be widened somewhat because this is the only egress/ingress to a section, do it. This would be the time for it...when the number of seats is being decreased anyway when the bench seating is being replaced.

The key is that the court/field level has to be lowered to make this all possible.

From today's Chancellor Syverud meeting with Univ Senate. Discussed state of SUs budget, update on provost search as well as campus framework is evolving to include new, vehicle-free promenade on University Place.

From today's Chancellor Syverud meeting with Univ Senate. Discussed state of SUs budget, update on provost search as well as campus framework is evolving to include new, vehicle-free promenade on University Place.

33531ab26452daaa3851a1b1e312a66f.jpg

Annie Palmer ‏@annierpalmer 10m10 minutes ago
Framework will also include new plan to link areas on campus, such as stretch from Life Sciences to Campus West.

Syverud: Campus framework is evolving to include new, vehicle-free promenade on University Place.

Syverud on Veterans Complex: "No complex like it in US...goal is to build a visionary building that'll be exciting on campus."

"What to do with the dome"...

I dunno, that screams to me like they are a bit scared to go all in. I would have preferred an uplifting one-liner like, "we have ambitious plans for modernizing SU athletics, but we are still in the process of finalizing the path we want to take."

Not dome-related, but seems like he's being pretty coy during the meetings this afternoon. Senators getting upset and impatient.

Annie Palmer ‏@annierpalmer

A Univ Senator asking @SyracuseU Chancellor about the buyout program: "How many ppl took the deal, how much was spent, and how much saved?"

Syverud: Most people retired in December. The savings from it for the university were "quite substantial." Will show in budget next year.

Senators pushing for hard numbers from Syverud on the buyout plan. Syverud says he'll have those at the next meeting in February.

Senator to Syverud: "What you said is trust us, we did what we undertook to do, but it doesn't explain why we can't have specifics."

The USen Budget Committee will be looking at the NCAA infractions, transparency in SU's budget and the academic strategic plan.

Last edited:

Budget Committee Chair: "We had anticipated a budget shortfall and ended up with a positive budget, which is good news."

The committee expects the university will continue to save more than it'll spend in 2016.

As far as I call tell, the Dome is unique in its setup. No other arena wastes such precious space for this purpose. You just don't see it at other places.

I think it came about because the Dome was not originally designed to host basketball games. They had a ton of space on the field between the stands and the court and they couldn't really use it all for seating because the angles of existing seats were too flat. So they made due with what was designed for football as best they could and gave the fans a second way to get to and from their seats.

When that large area that surrounds the court is eliminated, access to a given section will be limted to the aisles that run from the concourses to the seats in the section.
Period. Just as this is done at most arenas.

If the aisles need to be widened somewhat because this is the only egress/ingress to a section, do it. This would be the time for it...when the number of seats is being decreased anyway when the bench seating is being replaced.

The key is that the court/field level has to be lowered to make this all possible.
You are partially correct in that the Dome was note really designed to host basketball in the way smaller hockey/hoops arenas are. The bleachers on the 35 yard line do not have an aisle to transverse at the top. As such, most of the people in them need to egress down to court level in order to get out. That aisle as was previously stated is designed to the code's required width for getting that many people safely out of the building in an emergency. Even if there were an aisle at the top, it is still a challenge because you are exiting from the field. That is a space that was not truly designed to have 1,000 people on it. I'm not saying it wasn't designed to code, just not typical in 1980 to have a precedent for it. In that way, it is truly unique as you say.

Didn't I hear something a few months ago about 5 new research departments being built in the near future? Or did I make that up?

NJCuse97 said:
You are partially correct in that the Dome was note really designed to host basketball in the way smaller hockey/hoops arenas are. The bleachers on the 35 yard line do not have an aisle to transverse at the top. As such, most of the people in them need to egress down to court level in order to get out. That aisle as was previously stated is designed to the code's required width for getting that many people safely out of the building in an emergency. Even if there were an aisle at the top, it is still a challenge because you are exiting from the field. That is a space that was not truly designed to have 1,000 people on it. I'm not saying it wasn't designed to code, just not typical in 1980 to have a precedent for it. In that way, it is truly unique as you say.
Yes, basketball was an after thought that was designed in at the last minut;, hence the problems we are discussing.

I think designing egress/ingress from the top for the movable bleacher section(s) is one of the things that has to be done. Maybe they can add a couple aisles underneath the stands that people sitting down low can use to avoid climbing up and coming down. There should be space for the ramps/stairs under the stands...they will just lose some storage space underneath that they once used for rolled up sections of turf in the days before they permanently installed field turf. There should be a lot more room for storage in the expanded Dome, so this should not be a big issue.

I am excited for all the possibilities...

Not dome-related, but seems like he's being pretty coy during the meetings this afternoon. Senators getting upset and impatient.

Annie Palmer ‏@annierpalmer

A Univ Senator asking @SyracuseU Chancellor about the buyout program: "How many ppl took the deal, how much was spent, and how much saved?"

Syverud: Most people retired in December. The savings from it for the university were "quite substantial." Will show in budget next year.

Senators pushing for hard numbers from Syverud on the buyout plan. Syverud says he'll have those at the next meeting in February.

Senator to Syverud: "What you said is trust us, we did what we undertook to do, but it doesn't explain why we can't have specifics."

No board of directors of any company would allow that to happen. Any CEO wanting to keep his job would have those numbers readily available.

The curtain looked cheap and D3.
I always thought that they could add another section of bleachers above the rollout bleachers. These would be above the cameras and scoreboard. 20 rows or so to mimic the 200 section seats. They would need to be well designed to prevent the whole setup from toppling over, but perhaps they could be attached to the rollout bleachers for support. Possibly make them longer than the rollout bleachers and add bridges on either end to tie into the top of the main 100 level sections. This would enclose things better. Sure, you'd lose some long range seating, but you'd add more B- and C- preferred level $eating. Set up, tear down and storage could be a problem during football & lax seasons.

No board of directors of any company would allow that to happen. Any CEO wanting to keep his job would have those numbers readily available.

He doesn't report to the senate he reports to the Board of Trustees - I wouldn't report anything publically unless I reported the budget and got approval by the Board first. This meeting today was I originally thought was the Board meeting. This meeting should have been held after the Board meeting next week.

He doesn't report to the senate he reports to the Board of Trustees - I wouldn't report anything publically unless I reported the budget and got approval by the Board first. This meeting today was I originally thought was the Board meeting. This meeting should have been held after the Board meeting next week.

Thanks for the info. I agree.

I always thought that they could add another section of bleachers above the rollout bleachers. These would be above the cameras and scoreboard. 20 rows or so to mimic the 200 section seats. They would need to be well designed to prevent the whole setup from toppling over, but perhaps they could be attached to the rollout bleachers for support. Possibly make them longer than the rollout bleachers and add bridges on either end to tie into the top of the main 100 level sections. This would enclose things better. Sure, you'd lose some long range seating, but you'd add more B- and C- preferred level $eating. Set up, tear down and storage could be a problem during football & lax seasons.
yes. easy to do.. you need a sturdy base , something like the box they send freight around the world in would work and stack nicely as a base

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom