Dome Renovation | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

I understand that, I wish SU had outside vendors in the Dome because their food is garbage. Both in the concessions and the suites, it's embarrassing
We have the best nacho cheese of any stadium i have ever attended, without discussion. I have been to MANY. We could use some more options though.

Something healthy would be nice
im with you...i follow the primal diet..so i can't get grassfed beef or any healthy fat at all. Don't eat carbs or sugar, and everything i eat is organic. I do miss those nachos though.

I do work in NYC. I am actually on site at the WTC doing engineering work. Securing the perimeter is not the same as having folks watch games in a dome while cranes are up above and having folks shuffle in and out of the dome. You guys mentioning that a building going up in NYC is the same are wrong, its not the same.
People who make those statements never work in construction and are thinking with emotions that are not reality based at all. They just want something today. Work will not start this year at all on the Dome 2017-2018 is the target date and depending on what is decided the first half of the season might all be road games. If they go that route,don't expect much changes to the Dome then and be prepared for the Mother f-ing threads to be plenty

People who make those statements never work in construction and are thinking with emotions that are not reality based at all. They just want something today.
Except I don't think anyone suggested this:

"folks watch games in a dome while cranes are up above and having folks shuffle in and out of the dome."

"folks watch games in a dome while cranes are up above and having folks shuffle in and out of the dome."

They kinda did, about 200 posts previous to this one. I get why fans would hope it possible too, but it's not. A Dome renovation, of which I am an advocate, means a season on the road. That likely goes for anything beyond the scope of a new inflatable roof, and I don't think that's where this going from what I've heard.

They kinda did, about 200 posts previous to this one. I get why fans would hope it possible too, but it's not. A Dome renovation, of which I am an advocate, means a season on the road. That likely goes for anything beyond the scope of a new inflatable roof, and I don't think that's where this going from what I've heard.
I see this:

<a href="http://syracusefan.com/threads/dome-renovation.95406/page-80#post-1662982">Dome Renovation</a>

It didn't say construction would take place while the building was in use. That didn't stop people from making comments as if it did though!

I see this:

<a href="http://syracusefan.com/threads/dome-renovation.95406/page-80#post-1662982">Dome Renovation</a>

It didn't say construction would take place while the building was in use. That didn't stop people from making comments as if it did though!

It does say this "the plan is to build a shell around the existing structure so the dome stays open." I would say its not a big leap to the conclusion that implies an intent to occupy and use the building during construction. I really don't care, I understand the reality, but it's tough to say nobody suggested it.

images (1).jpg
Can they do the roof like The las Vegas Experience on Fremont street?...its really the only thing I want

Man...the size of the cranes that will be needed to use takes a lot of time to set up and tear down that will cost big money. These rental outfits do not do this for " FREE" They may have one day a week where they can use these cranes as they need to be inspected everytime under your idea of how cranes work.

It does say this "the plan is to build a shell around the existing structure so the dome stays open." I would say its not a big leap to the conclusion that implies an intent to occupy and use the building during construction. I really don't care, I understand the reality, but it's tough to say nobody suggested it.
Things can be done in stages. Building "exoskeleton" could be done between end of hoops and first football game. After next hoops, they can create the roof structure and possibly cover it. Once covered, they could renovate the side opposite hoops while basketball is going on. After hoops again, they finish the other side. Gotta be creative. However, I won't imply that is what Kelly meant but I also won't imply she meant construction during the season either.

QUOTE="longtimefan, post: 1666760, member: 212"]How about watching the game and enjoying the arena experience?

Drives me crazy when droves of people at an event pull out their cameras to record the action for later viewing. Be in the moment![/QUOTE]
Thanks for telling folks how to watch games.

For the construction folks, in a public (sort of) project, (assuming funding is set) do you obtain permits before making the announcement, or announce then file for permits.

QUOTE="longtimefan, post: 1666760, member: 212"]How about watching the game and enjoying the arena experience?

Drives me crazy when droves of people at an event pull out their cameras to record the action for later viewing. Be in the moment!
Thanks for telling folks how to watch games.[/QUOTE]
It's called expressing an opinion. Take it or leave it.

(And, if your nose is buried in your phone, you're not watching the game.)

I understand that, I wish SU had outside vendors in the Dome because their food is garbage. Both in the concessions and the suites, it's embarrassing
They used to have a Burger King in the Dome. Wonder why they got rid of it? :noidea:

Are you familiar with the project that added a roof to Arthur Ashe Stadium? Is that possibly a model for what they might do with the Carrier Dome?

some people really get all in a twist over the dumbest things. Honestly all I posted is what I heard from someone that happens to be connected. I never claimed it as gospel, just some info I heard. I also made sure to tell retro that I wasn't disputing anything he said, just sharing some info.

Jesus, next time I'll just keep it to myself.

Are you familiar with the project that added a roof to Arthur Ashe Stadium? Is that possibly a model for what they might do with the Carrier Dome?
That is actually very similar to what they did at BC place (lots of smaller columns to hold up the roof instead of a few big ones). In fact it is the same engineers and the same fabric provider. It is not quite as "easy" as at Arthur Ashe as the span is longer and there is need to maintain the roof through the winter. At Ashe, it is retractable, so they can retract it in the winter and not take on a snow load (the US open is at the end of summer afterall). The USTA is spending over $100 million just for the roof.

some people really get all in a twist over the dumbest things. Honestly all I posted is what I heard from someone that happens to be connected. I never claimed it as gospel, just some info I heard. I also made sure to tell retro that I wasn't disputing anything he said, just sharing some info.

Jesus, next time I'll just keep it to myself.
Kelly, I wasn't coming after you at all and I am grateful that you shared what you heard. I hope you continue to do so. I only felt that XC was questioning if anyone made such an assertion, and I responded. Yours was the first I saw that may have had credibility and I just wanted to provide a counterpoint with what I have heard and know. I swear it was not an attack on you or anyone. I think it was the catalyst for a great conversation about feasibility, options, and expectations. Thank you again.

For the construction folks, in a public (sort of) project, (assuming funding is set) do you obtain permits before making the announcement, or announce then file for permits.
Permits require drawings, so they would have to publicly announce the open RFP (Request for Proposals) or sometimes called an SOQ (statement of Qualifications) for the design of the facility first. Once that is done and the abundance of proposals are vetted and shortlisted, then they would have to interview the 5-10 firms on the shortlist. Once that is awarded, they would have to do the design, culminating in Permit Documents (sometimes these are also Construction Documents). Bid documents can be issued prior to permit documents and often are so that a contractual estimate can be generated (at this scale I would assume they request a GMP or guaranteed maximum price). Permit documents can be rejected and the firm back to the "drawing board" to correct anything the permitting department has deemed inadequate. This is often why Construction Documents either parallel or come after Permit Documents.

It is not out of the question a project of this magnitude would be advertised as a P3 (Public/Private Partnership). That implies there is a developer who will "own" the project and propose a team of Owner/Architect/Contractor. They may not "bid" the project as the developer would win the project based in large part on an estimated cost to do the project and the government would act only as the tenant, letting the team handle the hiring of subs. Still, this would not typically imply there is enough material for a permit. I don't like the P3 as in my experience (limited as it may be, as this is a fairly recent funding model) it leaves the developer to cut corners and take the money saved as profit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom